2021 NHL Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mail

Mar 2, 2021
One thing I do like about Powers is his composure. He plays the game with such poise in both ends it's fun to watch and is a fantastic quality for someone with his size and skillset.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
I'm watching more and more of Beniers, and this is the guy I'm keying in on. Plays a bit like Mark scheifele and Patrice Bergeron. He gets a bit underrated because he's not as flashy, but he's been better at Even strength than a guy like Johnson, who's getting a lot of hype as well. He seems like the perfect 1B centre. Not that big of a fan of all the other Dmen who are all offensive-minded guys that wouldn't get the looks they need because of Hughes and maybe Rathbone in the future. Bryam is in a similar situation in Colorado, with Girard and Makar with 2 points in 15 games.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I'm watching more and more of Beniers, and this is the guy I'm keying in on. Plays a bit like Mark scheifele and Patrice Bergeron. He gets a bit underrated because he's not as flashy, but he's been better at Even strength than a guy like Johnson, who's getting a lot of hype as well. He seems like the perfect 1B centre. Not that big of a fan of all the other Dmen who are all offensive-minded guys that wouldn't get the looks they need because of Hughes and maybe Rathbone in the future. Bryam is in a similar situation in Colorado, with Girard and Makar with 2 points in 15 games.

Well if Clarke is available we get him, since we don't have any up and comming righty's that are top 3 potential. Woo is a righty but he's more of a bottom pairing dude.

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
One thing I do like about Powers is his composure. He plays the game with such poise in both ends it's fun to watch and is a fantastic quality for someone with his size and skillset.

If he pans out he could be a Stud all-around defenceman in the mould of Victor Hedman; he's about the same size too. I expect he'll be snapped up very early in the draft.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
People are saying Clarke is an offensive D but I've read that he's not one-dimensional. He's good in his own end as well. I wouldn't want to select a right hand shot just for the sake of it but if he projects to be solid in his own end at the NHL level then it's a no-brainer. We desperately need a stud RH guy.

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
Beniers would be a great pick, you could run Pettersson/Horvat/Beniers as soon as next year and have three playdriving centers.

But I’d like to get one if the high end dman prospects from this draft as 2022 draft is stacked with elite forward prospects.

Power/Hughes/Clarke/Lambos/Morrow

Reactions: bossram

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Beniers would be a great pick, you could run Pettersson/Horvat/Beniers as soon as next year and have three playdriving centers.

But I’d like to get one if the high end dman prospects from this draft as 2022 draft is stacked with elite forward prospects.

Ya with the way this team is going we could have a chance at wright/lambert/savoie/mcgroarty/hughes next draft. They are projected to be the top 5-10 and all centers. So far there’s only 1-2 dmen considered to contend for top 10

only way I draft a forward this draft in the top 7 is I hughes power Clarke are gone and one of eklund Johnson and berniers is available

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
if they can . they will do everything to draft Luke Hughes
Honestly, if Luke is selected by any other team besides NJ, then I expect the Hughes to not play together in one team.
Seen brothers in the NHL before and not often they end up playing together

lawrence

May 19, 2012
People are saying Clarke is an offensive D but I've read that he's not one-dimensional. He's good in his own end as well. I wouldn't want to select a right hand shot just for the sake of it but if he projects to be solid in his own end at the NHL level then it's a no-brainer. We desperately need a stud RH guy.

From what I’ve read he’s good defensively smart player. Sounds like a drysdale.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Aquilini’s love the Hughes’.
Not much separation in the top dmen in the draft. All skate well and are 6'1 and better. Unlike the 2018 draft where you had smaller guys in Hughes and Boqvist who had some injury issues, and Bouchard wasn't a great skater but had the booming shot.

I don't see any of Ott, Buf, NJ, Det passing the Canucks in the standings. And likely one of two of SJ, Ana, Nas finish behind them as well.

Havent' seen top picks moved in a while, so unlikely to see a trade up. But, this year, it's wide open.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

Agreed. I actually think you could (still unlikely though) turn the team around quickly if Beniers is available. He immediately rounds out the forward depth. Couple that with an expansion-concerned-team defenseman acquisition, it's possible to be much better next season.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Not much separation in the top dmen in the draft. All skate well and are 6'1 and better. Unlike the 2018 draft where you had smaller guys in Hughes and Boqvist who had some injury issues, and Bouchard wasn't a great skater but had the booming shot.

I don't see any of Ott, Buf, NJ, Det passing the Canucks in the standings. And likely one of two of SJ, Ana, Nas finish behind them as well.

Havent' seen top picks moved in a while, so unlikely to see a trade up. But, this year, it's wide open.
Maybe we finally get some lotto luck, and grab a top three pick? We should get a very good D prospect then, right? Benning did say we are still a couple years away.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Maybe we finally get some lotto luck, and grab a top three pick? We should get a very good D prospect then, right? Benning did say we are still a couple years away.
Each Dman I like for different reasons.
Power - size, but fluid
Clarke - offense plus RHD
Lambos - best all around game, big minute muncher
Hughes - not his brother, give up some offense for better defence
Ceulmans - RHD, but limited games at a lower level
Evindsson - Raw, need to be patient with him.

Beniers, Guenter, Johnson, Eklund appear to be the top forwards. With Sillinger right there. Very likely a Dman available when the Canucks pick.

Until Clarke/Lambos get into CHL action and Ceulmans gets into AJHL games hard for them to up their stock compared to the other 3 who are playing.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
Each Dman I like for different reasons.
Power - size, but fluid
Clarke - offense plus RHD
Lambos - best all around game, big minute muncher
Hughes - not his brother, give up some offense for better defence
Ceulmans - RHD, but limited games at a lower level
Evindsson - Raw, need to be patient with him.

Beniers, Guenter, Johnson, Eklund appear to be the top forwards. With Sillinger right there. Very likely a Dman available when the Canucks pick.

Until Clarke/Lambos get into CHL action and Ceulmans gets into AJHL games hard for them to up their stock compared to the other 3 who are playing.

Lambos and Clarke were atleast able to get 17 and 23 games in respectively in Europe, and played well there. Where as Ceulmans only has played 2. Ranking defencemen by games played this year it goes:

Hughes 56
Edvinsson 37
Power 24
Clarke 23
Lambos 17
Ceulmans 2

My top 10

Beniers
Lambos
Hughes
Clarke
Edvinsson
Eklund
Power
Johnson
Wallstedt
Sillinger

I am probably in the minority as having Lambos as the first defencemen. My reasoning is that Clarke and Hughes project as 50 point guys, while Lambos as a 40 point guy while playing top shutdown minutes which is much more valuable.

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
If we got 1st overall, I would be really surprised if Aquilini would forgo the opportunity to draft Quinn's brother. He can see all the money roll in with the marketing opportunities. Good thing for the fans is that Luke seems to be in the conversation for 1st overall and won't be a reach.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
If we got 1st overall, I would be really surprised if Aquilini would forgo the opportunity to draft Quinn's brother. He can see all the money roll in with the marketing opportunities. Good thing for the fans is that Luke seems to be in the conversation for 1st overall and won't be a reach.
Wasn’t there talk back in Jake’s draft that Aquilini thought getting the local kid would sell seats?

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Chris Johnston @reporterchris
The NHL is proposing changes to the draft lottery that would see:

* teams limited to no more than two lottery wins in a five-year period
* teams only allowed to jump 10 spots with a lottery win
* a reduction in the number of picks decided by lottery from three to two

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I am probably in the minority as having Lambos as the first defencemen. My reasoning is that Clarke and Hughes project as 50 point guys, while Lambos as a 40 point guy while playing top shutdown minutes which is much more valuable.
If you look at it from a Net goal differential POV, Lambos probably nets the same as Clarke. Won't score as many, but won't give up as many.

But, is capable of impacting the game like Slavin, Provorov, etc. playing 23-25 minutes a game.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
If you look at it from a Net goal differential POV, Lambos probably nets the same as Clarke. Won't score as many, but won't give up as many.

But, is capable of impacting the game like Slavin, Provorov, etc. playing 23-25 minutes a game.

Those defencemen are arguably the most valuable pieces in hockey, and probably the rarest.

Lambos had a better D-1 season than Provorov, and had 6 less points than Clarke and was much better defencively. Provorov had 61 points in 60 games in his draft year. Lambos has 14 points in 15 games in the Finnish Junior Leagues, and played 2 games in the Liiga. Promising so far, its just too bad he hasn't played more games. Although, that may be a good thing if he is available where we pick.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
I want Clarke.

Nucks likely want Hughes but he’ll likely end up in Jersey.

Would love to get another 1st. Think with all the uncertainty around the draft and the ED, it’s possible.

But we have Benning so fully expect us to trade away picks.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I want Clarke.

Nucks likely want Hughes but he’ll likely end up in Jersey.

Would love to get another 1st. Think with all the uncertainty around the draft and the ED, it’s possible.

But we have Benning so fully expect us to trade away picks.
Canucks have nothing to offer up aside from Miller to get that first rounder that you seek. And moving him for a first doesn’t make sense. If Miller is moved it should ideally be for prospects or young nhler to a win now team. you do that if you can’t move the bad contracts on the books for next season.
virtanen, Gaudette, aren’t getting you a first.
You can certainly trade up. What is your target for the second first rounder or are you just wanting another first?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad