2021 NHL Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Hmmm. I wonder if some of the statements about this being a weak draft at the top have to do with the lack of games some of these guys have had this year in order to improve. I mean I get that there’s no real obvious number one talent this year but generally some guys significantly improve their stock during the year.
Or influential trams that control the media (especially back east) trying to devalue the top picks. WE are getting a top five pick, and the player will be a stud muffin.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
You know if the Canucks could dangle players like Pearson, Sutter, Holtby and even Hamonic at the deadline, they could really stock up some draft picks....I know a couple of these guys have NMC's in their contract, but they might waive at this point in their careers for a chance to go on a long playoff run.

I mean with the 2021 draft so uncertain, and the rankings for players all over the map, NHL teams might be more willing than a normal year to unload picks to try to load up at the trade deadline. Any GM with a team in the Canucks hopeless position should be working the phones furiously, even though the trade deadline is more than a month a half away.

It would border on disastrous asset management if all these guys just played out the string and then walked in the off-season.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
You know if the Canucks could dangle players like Pearson, Sutter, Holtby and even Hamonic at the deadline, they could really stock up some draft picks....I know a couple of these guys have NMC's in their contract, but they might waive at this point in their careers for a chance to go on a long playoff run.

I mean with the 2021 draft so uncertain, and the rankings for players all over the map, NHL teams might be more willing than a normal year to unload picks to try to load up at the trade deadline. Any GM with a team in the Canucks hopeless position should be working the phones furiously, even though the trade deadline is more than a month a half away.

It would border on disastrous asset management if all these guys just played out the string and then walked in the off-season.
IMO adding 3-5 second and third round picks would be fantastic.
Sutter = a second
Pearson = a second
Benn = a third
Edler = ? (I doubt he moves)
Gaud = ?

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
IMO adding 3-5 second and third round picks would be fantastic.
Sutter = a second
Pearson = a second
Benn = a third
Edler = ? (I doubt he moves)
Gaud = ?
You over value the ufa.
Pearson a second, Sutter is a third max IMO, Benn 4th max IMO.
Nmc guys, Edler would be a second, Hamonic like a 7th but only to Edm or Win as I don’t see him waiving.

gaudette, man I see a third as he turns 26 this year so he’s still rfa status for 2 more season but with arbitration rights. He would need to show more to land a second.

virtanen, same as Gaudette. Third but would need to show more to land a second. He’s more likely to land a fresh start guy like himself.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Might as well throw my two cents in after getting bored and watching a handful of shift-by-shift videos tonight.

At this point, I honestly probably prefer Hughes to Power, and I think there are a few issues in the latter.

From what I've read from others, I think Power's reputation as a skater is somewhat overrated (though it's not necessarily bad for his size), and that the only thing he really excels at in that department is moving the puck (usually in a straight line) through the neutral zone, and in this case, I understand where the Hedman comparisons are coming from. Saw a lot of situations where he looked rather awkward turning an edge while defending and had some issues shaking off forecheckers.

With Hughes though, there's definitely a lot of similarities to Quinn in terms of skating ability, albeit maybe not quite AS good. Luke seems to do a significantly better job re-positioning himself in his own zone and shimmying off attackers -- tends to like twirling around as Quinn does. Definitely think Luke has better defensive fundamentals than his brother at a similar age, and obviously has the advantage to Quinn in terms of his frame, but he doesn't have the same offensive flair.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Might as well throw my two cents in after getting bored and watching a handful of shift-by-shift videos tonight.

At this point, I honestly probably prefer Hughes to Power, and I think there are a few issues in the latter.

From what I've read from others, I think Power's reputation as a skater is somewhat overrated (though it's not necessarily bad for his size), and that the only thing he really excels at in that department is moving the puck (usually in a straight line) through the neutral zone, and in this case, I understand where the Hedman comparisons are coming from. Saw a lot of situations where he looked rather awkward turning an edge while defending and had some issues shaking off forecheckers.

With Hughes though, there's definitely a lot of similarities to Quinn in terms of skating ability, albeit maybe not quite AS good. Luke seems to do a significantly better job re-positioning himself in his own zone and shimmying off attackers -- tends to like twirling around as Quinn does. Definitely think Luke has better defensive fundamentals than his brother at a similar age, and obviously has the advantage to Quinn in terms of his frame, but he doesn't have the same offensive flair.
The book on Power is supposedly that he doesn't handle the forecheck well and relies on his frame and reach to separate himself from opposing forwards. Did you notice this?

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
The book on Power is supposedly that he doesn't handle the forecheck well and relies on his frame and reach to separate himself from opposing forwards. Did you notice this?

Yeah, that's fair. It's not like he was coughing the puck up every 5 seconds, I'm just not sure how he'd do with a Hansen-esque buzzsaw on his ass.

The other thing I noticed is that he isn't a particularly smooth passer, which isn't a great combo with the aforementioned traits.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I would also treat Luke Hughes as if his last name was Hayes or something when evaluating him against the other Dmen in the draft.

I wouldn't get caught up in the whole brothers thing. Almost all brothers in the NHL accept that they will never play together. A pair of brothers has a chance, but a trio, very unlikely. Do we have to go back to the Statsny in Quebec for Peter, Anton, and Marian who all played together. Jared got a few games with Carolina to play with Jordan and Eric, but he wasn't an NHLer.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I would also treat Luke Hughes as if his last name was Hayes or something when evaluating him against the other Dmen in the draft.

I wouldn't get caught up in the whole brothers thing. Almost all brothers in the NHL accept that they will never play together. A pair of brothers has a chance, but a trio, very unlikely. Do we have to go back to the Statsny in Quebec for Peter, Anton, and Marian who all played together. Jared got a few games with Carolina to play with Jordan and Eric, but he wasn't an NHLer.

Smart to look at it that way.

Right now I'm all in on Brandt Clarke though. He's a RHD which is a nice bonus too, but for me he seems to be the defenseman with the highest offensive ceiling, and the most mobile of the bunch. My top 5 currently:

1). Brandt Clarke
2). Luke Hughes
3). William Eklund
4). Kent Johnson
5). Matthew Beniers

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
Lambos would be a good pick if we don't win the lottery. He is the best defensively of the top defenseman, and had good production last year, and this year so far in Finland. A top shutdown guy that can put up 30-40 points would be more valuable to us than another offensive dman that won't get top PP time here.

You have to do your homework though, so you don't make the mistake as the Juolevi draft who was supposed to be the "best all around dman". However, there was no evidence that he was better defensively than Chychrun or Sergachev, who both outproduced him on much worse teams.

Obviously, we need to go BPA. However, if we take a dman we need to factor in defence.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Beniers or Clarke seem like the best
Options for me. Beniers feels like he can be a dominant 2 way ES Centre and a replacement for Horvat.

Nuckler

May 7, 2013
I'd have something lined up at the draft for a later 1st round pick if lambos falls and pull the trigger if he does. Our first is probably going to be top 10 and I'd just go bpa there. There isn't a top 10 standout dman who is more defensively inclined rather than offensively. The Canucks really need a good top pair two way guy rather than more offense. Best way to do that might be taking the forward and seeing if there's a team like Colorado that wants to move a young dman. Byram comes to mind...

Reactions: Bubbles

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver

Have you watched Clarke or cuelemans?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
What sucks about the 2021 draft is that we are 6 weeks away from the TDL and no final word on when the draft is going to be held. It makes a big difference to teams which pick they would rather trade. 2022 is a stronger draft overall, but once you talk 2nd or 3rd rounders, then the strength of the draft isn't as big a deal as it usually relates to the first round or top end talent.

But, impacts where you are drafting guys when they are turning 18 or 19 to see how they have physically developed.

More of a crapshoot if the 2021 draft goes ahead as scheduled. So, teams more likely to move those picks.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
There is no chance that if Van has the opportunity to draft Hughes that they won’t take him.

Same goes for Jersey.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Friedman came out the other day and said Sutter might have a value of a 4th or 5th.

It’s a buyers market with the flat cap and expansion.

Pearson might get a 2nd or 3rd.

So essentially the one year the Canucks might actually try and offload vets at the TDL they can but for jack shit.

Oh and Virtanen’s 2nd year at 3.4M is killing his value.

Jesus f*** Benning. Please go.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Friedman came out the other day and said Sutter might have a value of a 4th or 5th.

It’s a buyers market with the flat cap and expansion.

Pearson might get a 2nd or 3rd.

So essentially the one year the Canucks might actually try and offload vets at the TDL they can but for jack shit.

Oh and Virtanen’s 2nd year at 3.4M is killing his value.

Jesus f*** Benning. Please go.
I think the range for Pearson and Sutter are about right. No chance ever of a first for Pearson. Second seems right. Sutter at best would have been a third.

They are ufa so there is no commitment for next season which is what is impacting jake now. For an rfa again the Canucks didn’t have to back load his contract. Might as well have done a one year deal if he wanted it backloaded. He was not getting an OS. Should have been able to get him on their terms. Under stable with Holtby as a ufa to do that but not an rfa.

Lemmiwinks

Jun 11, 2011
B.C.
There is no chance that if Van has the opportunity to draft Hughes that they won’t take him.

Same goes for Jersey.
Both teams are in a position where they might feel the need to trade up to get him depending on where they draft. People underestimate the organizational value of having brothers on the same team; contract negotiations suddenly become much easier.

We should know; the Sedins were always worth the money if memory serves.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Both teams are in a position where they might feel the need to trade up to get him depending on where they draft. People underestimate the organizational value of having brothers on the same team; contract negotiations suddenly become much easier.

We should know; the Sedins were always worth the money if memory serves.

You think Chicago is building their draft around securing Colton Dach or Vegas is focusing on securing Ryder Korzak? The Foote brothers were drafted by TB in round 1 and guess what TB moved Nolan to NJ as part of the Coleman trade.

Now, the Hughes brothers are likely to all be top 10 draft picks. So, it depends where they are picking and who is available.

NJ has 2 Centers, though both on the smaller side in terms of girth, but they have those 2 spots secure. So, they can really take any position.

Every other team aside from NJ/Van is going to evaluate Luke against the other D in this draft on his own merit. He's probably the best skater of the group this year. Power is the most impressive physically and tool set wise. Lambos, best defender. Clarke, the most offensive. Evindsson is the wild card because he's more raw. Tools are there.

Last edited:

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
If we drafted Beniers ? I would, Beniers has the potential to drive a line in the big leagues in my opinion and Bo doesn't.

If you get a 2nd for Pearson you take it.
Once you do term on the 2nd contract, the main question is term on the 3rd contract. Bo will be 28 when he's a UFA in 2023. Can the Canucks get him signed for less than the Max 8 year term? You can ask the same question regarding Landeskog in Colorado who is UFA this year. 2nd OA pick in 2011 so he's 28 going on 29 this year. Does he push for the max term?

To put that max term into perspective, 36 is the age of the 2003 draft class, so that's Bergeron, Getzlaf, Carter, E. Staal, Backes, Eriksson, Perry, Eaves, Kesler, etc. for forwards. How many of that draft class would you want this season on a big cap hit? Or even the past 2-3 seasons when they turned 34/35 in 2019 and 2020?

So, if they do draft a C like Beniers, it gives the Canucks leverage in that they don't feel that they have to max term Horvat because they don't have anyone in the system.

It goes both ways on the second contract. If you do a bridge, they are due up again, but at least they are due up around 25, so max term then is to 33. If you do term on the 2nd contract, that puts them at UFA around 28, so max term goes to 36. So, you're very likely eating some declining years. But, with bridge, you run the risk of a Trouba situation where the player opts for Arbitration to hit UFA asap.

Reactions: CanuckCity

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
Kent Johnson reminds me a lot of Zegras from what I've seen. Would be great to have a local guy as a star on the team as well, something Virtanen never stood a chance of living up to.

If we go D, I'd want Clarke all the way. Top ceiling of the D and helps that he's RHD.

Reactions: Luckylarry

lawrence

May 19, 2012
q7patq8xg4l61.jpg

guess who is wearing the Canuck mask. Really, you can't order those masks off amazon, he must have asked his bro for one.
Dude is already a Canuck at heart.

Reactions: CanuckCity

mail

Mar 2, 2021
I wouldn't worry too much about falling in the draft. I honestly think if we are at least top 9, we're golden. Also this draft just has that Elias Pettersson sleeper pick feeling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad