2021 NHL Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Yep, for once the Canucks 'positional need' might just line up with the top young players in this draft--who're all blueliners.

Of course that assumes that 'the tank' continues and the Canucks are serious contenders in the draft lottery. Because a legit top-four blueliner is something this team desperately needs.

But of course wasn't that the same rationale they used when the drafted Juolevi?
Yeah. Reaching for positional need can be dicey. But this year things look alligned.
For what it's worth I was very bullish on Chychrun early on then favoured Sergachev. As they walked up to the podium I was hoping they would pick Tkachuk. Loud noises came out of me when I heard Juolevi. I thought they needed D at that time but was willing to accept that Tkachuk was the BPA.
No particular insight from me...just what I perceived to be the consensus.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Clarke so we can have 2 dman that can play pure offense in alternating pairings. Hughes of course and Clarke on the other.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
no one wants our trash
Of the 5 UFAs, it's Pearson and Edler who would return the best picks. But, Edler unlikely to waive. With Covid, I doubt he wants to leave his family. He's 35 and nearing the end of his career. Still a 2nd pair guy, but the Canucks are too tight to the cap to keep him for $3 mill.

Then it's Benn/Sutter who would be solid depth additions. Hamonic, with a NMC, it's likely only Win/Edm for him to waive it. Sven, doubt anyone wants someone who hasn't played in the NHL in so long.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Cole Sillinger needs to included in any high end draft prospect list.
I think for the Canucks, they will go D. Given where they are in the standings after 24 games, it's not looking good for them.

Power, Edvinsson, Clarke, Hughes, Lambos, Ceulmans would be the guys I would take before opting for a forward. None of the forwards in this draft would challenge for the top 3 spots in either of the past 2 drafts.

Because they are both RHD, I like Clarke and Ceulmans. All of the top D in this draft are 6'1 and better.

Trying to figure out good comps for these guys from the past couple of drafts.

I think with Lambos, maybe Dobson. Steady guy, will play big minutes. Likely a 40 point guy.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Look forward as a team then what we lack today. IN 2 years time MIller is a UFA and so is Horvat. I am totally open with a forward too because of that.

Reactions: Bubbles and bossram

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
My top 6 goes:
Hughes
Power
Johnson
Clarke
Eklund
Beniers

Seems like we will be drafting top 6 and should be able to nab one of these guys. Hoping we can pick up another 1st to grab Cuelemans

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
Look forward as a team then what we lack today. IN 2 years time MIller is a UFA and so is Horvat. I am totally open with a forward too because of that.

A team should always draft BPA. The chances are the team's needs will change before the prospect even becomes a significant player on the team. And if not, you can always make a hockey trade later.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Time to get some picks for once.

Sell everyone.

Canuck players worth something not utterly insignificant in a trade:

Boeser
Horvat
Miller
Pettersson
Höglander

Schmidt

Demko

Podkolzin

I guess Miller and Schmidt could be on the out.
But you need to start selling today with COVID quarantine restricting player movement. I dont trust Jim to handle a trade like this.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Bo is a UFA at 28, so I have greater confidence in signing him in 2023.
Miller, given the team is still tied to $15 mill in bad contracts with the only production coming from Beagle/Roussel, that's another good $12 mill in overspending, limiting what the club can do after the raises to Hughes, Pettersson, Demko. I would give the new GM, because I'm assuming Aquaman won't be thrilled about falling back this season and it's all due to the prior bad contracts, that the new GM will be given the green light to move Miller.

If the Canucks are in the top 6/7, I don't think they take Sillinger. Maybe if they ended up around #10 with most of the Dmen gone, they might go that route.

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
Looks like Luke Hughes can play on the right side even though he shoots left? That's the kind of player the Canucks could use.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

100%. If you think Beniers or Eklund is the best pick at that spot, you take them. The team has holes everywhere.

The expansion draft is also an opportunity to add an undervalued defenseman. With Benning at the helm, that obviously won't happen, but we can hope.

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
1. Power
2. Beniers
3. Hughes
4. Clarke
5. Eklund
6. Johnson
7. Lysell

Don’t know too much about Edvinsson but he’s intriguing. Lambos more 8-10 range seems like a Provorov type.

Wallstedt is a Askarov/Knight level goalie prospect.

Ceulemans/Morrow wildcards that can climb the rankings.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
1. Power
2. Beniers
3. Hughes
4. Clarke
5. Eklund
6. Johnson
7. Lysell

Don’t know too much about Edvinsson but he’s intriguing. Lambos more 8-10 range seems like a Provorov type.

Lysell I’ve seen him ranked in the 20’s in a lot of mocks. I like him too but I can’t say I’d take him over the big minutes munching Dmen like Lambos. Maybe cause I do have a high value for 25 minute a game 40 point Dmen.

lysell I like cause he’s a rh shot who has a great shot and is an excellent skater. Nucks do lack a that kind of sniper.

Rumsfeld

Oct 3, 2020
From the admittedly little I've had time to glean from scouting reports and highlight clips, I like Power.

UK Canuck

Dec 27, 2018
1. Power
2. Beniers
3. Hughes
4. Clarke
5. Eklund
6. Johnson
7. Lysell

If Lambos is even close to being as good as Provorov he should be in the conversation for no1 overall

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If Lambos is even close to being as good as Provorov he should be in the conversation for no1 overall
I think he ends up outside the draft lottery spots. Very good player who goes in that 4-10 range.

I do wonder how how the Dmen in this draft compare to the past few ones?
Sanderson, Byram, Drysdale, Seider, Dahlin, Hughes, Bouchard, Dobson, Boqvist, Makar, Heiskanen. These are your lottery selected Dmen.
This draft each Dman in the top end are no shorter than 6’1 so don’t have an undersized guy. But none are a real physical knock you on your butt type either.

UK Canuck

Dec 27, 2018
I think he ends up outside the draft lottery spots. Very good player who goes in that 4-10 range.

I do wonder how how the Dmen in this draft compare to the past few ones?
Sanderson, Byram, Drysdale, Seider, Dahlin, Hughes, Bouchard, Dobson, Boqvist, Makar, Heiskanen. These are your lottery selected Dmen.
This draft each Dman in the top end are no shorter than 6’1 so don’t have an undersized guy. But none are a real physical knock you on your butt type either.

From everything I've read it seems the consensus is that its not a strong draft at the top & that there's not a player who would traditionally be worth a no1 overall pick, one of the guys who works for Elite Prospects said in an interview that Jamie Drysdale who went no6 last year would be the best defenseman in this draft

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Hmmm. I wonder if some of the statements about this being a weak draft at the top have to do with the lack of games some of these guys have had this year in order to improve. I mean I get that there’s no real obvious number one talent this year but generally some guys significantly improve their stock during the year.

Reactions: CanuckCity

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
Hmmm. I wonder if some of the statements about this being a weak draft at the top have to do with the lack of games some of these guys have had this year in order to improve. I mean I get that there’s no real obvious number one talent this year but generally some guys significantly improve their stock during the year.

If players aren't playing many games there is also the possibility that this draft class will collectively be developmentally delayed. Age 17 is a bad developmental age to barely play any hockey.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
There is no top end forward who would challenge the likes of Laf, Byfield, Stutzle, Hughes, Kakko, Dach, Svech, for a top 3 pick.

Harder to judge this crop due to fewer viewings for Clarke, Lambos, and Ceulmans. Evindsson, Power and Hughes have still been playing since September. So they are getting their viewings.

how does a kid like Power stack up to a Sanderson, Byram, Dobson, Bouchard? Think he’s above the last 2 guys. Probably in the same conversation with the first two guys. The fact that these kids lose out on tournament or playoffs is cause some to view them differently as those are opportunities to elevate their play in the biggest games.

Reactions: CanuckCity
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad