Prospect Info: 2021 NHL Draft Thread Vol. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I was hesitant to make any declarations about Edvinsson but it’s been an up and down two games so far. He was trying to beat Canada defensemen one on one yesterday. He’s definitely got skill but I’m not sure that approach works at the next level. Wouldn’t knock him too hard for that since the rest of his team failed to show up.

I struggle to classify his skating. He has moments where you go, ‘yeah that’s really easy and fluid’ mostly when he’s going forward and backward, but then other moments where he looks like he gets stuck in mud. There’s not much explosiveness to him to escape right areas, a concern I have with Power as well.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I do love Jack Han's work.

But I dont think Edvinsson is exactly "low scoring" given his age and where playing. Plus his scoring at age 16-18 in junior leagues was good for a Dman.

And now 8 points in 20 games in Allsvenskan.

Also... "has enough deception in his game to run a powerplay unit on a junior team" I mean... he runs one right now at 17 in a pro league that is pretty darn good.

I get the concerns. I don't think he will ever be a legit #1 given his skill-set.

But comparing him to the oversized slop Toronto had in their system... none of the guys he listed had half the talent Edvinsson has. Most never managed to play at the level he already has. Rasanen was probably most "talented" and Edvinsson is probably a better player than him right now...

Needs some real work ofc, and I would take multiple Swedish forwards over him!

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Any interest in Oliver Kapanen in the second round? I like blood lines since they understand what the pro game is all about. His father was a warrior and his brother is a player-speed and a scorer’s ability. Decent size at a position of need.

Reactions: SanBlom

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
Any interest in Oliver Kapanen in the second round? I like blood lines since they understand what the pro game is all about. His father was a warrior and his brother is a player-speed and a scorer’s ability. Decent size at a position of need.
Isn't Oliver Sami's nephew?

It's all moot because the Flyers wouldn't ever touch a Finn in the draft with a 10 foot pole.

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
The top of the class really does nothing for me. But who knows beyond that. There’s so much unknown this cycle which could be a good thing or bad thing down the line.

It’s the perfect draft to accrue like 15 picks. There’s so many unknowns (so much more than normal seasons) that it “should” pay to accumulate lots of cost-controlled assets. You’re liable to hint on at least a few with that many picks.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Chad Reuter wrote the following on nfl.com about the first two days of the NFL draft. I've never heard of him before, so I have no idea how much stock to put into his opinion, but this bit at the top of the article is appropriate in all sports and is important to remember.

"I've heard the argument that grading draft picks immediately after they are made is worthless, but I don't agree.

"Since no one can see into the future, these 2021 NFL Draft quick-snap grades only partially reflect how I expect a player's career to progress. These grades are, however, an evaluation of the process each team undertook to select the players they did. The grade also is an indication of whether I think a prospect's selection is of appropriate value given his college film and athleticism.

"The reason these snap grades matter is that they give a real-time evaluation of the process. If a prospect is considered a great pick the day of the draft, but doesn't work out in the long run, that's a completely different evaluation of his new team's decision than identifying a player who was considered a reach at the time he was picked. Waiting three years to grade these picks leads to revisionist history, not an accurate evaluation of a decision that was based on what was known when the player was selected."

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Chad Reuter wrote the following on nfl.com about the first two days of the NFL draft. I've never heard of him before, so I have no idea how much stock to put into his opinion, but this bit at the top of the article is appropriate in all sports and is important to remember.

"I've heard the argument that grading draft picks immediately after they are made is worthless, but I don't agree.

"Since no one can see into the future, these 2021 NFL Draft quick-snap grades only partially reflect how I expect a player's career to progress. These grades are, however, an evaluation of the process each team undertook to select the players they did. The grade also is an indication of whether I think a prospect's selection is of appropriate value given his college film and athleticism.

"The reason these snap grades matter is that they give a real-time evaluation of the process. If a prospect is considered a great pick the day of the draft, but doesn't work out in the long run, that's a completely different evaluation of his new team's decision than identifying a player who was considered a reach at the time he was picked. Waiting three years to grade these picks leads to revisionist history, not an accurate evaluation of a decision that was based on what was known when the player was selected."

The cool thing about my Mock Drafts are that the picks are always great on the day of AND three years later.

:neener:

TB87

May 30, 2018
I’m joining a Zoom meeting with Jack Han at 4:30 today (CST). The topic is going to be “Learn how to scout defenseman.” I love learning more about this sport so this should be fun!

TB87

May 30, 2018
Quick Rundown of Jack Han's "Learn how to Scout Defenseman" Zoom Meeting:

What to look for in a defenseman:
Retrieves the puck in DZ under pressure: by using speed, deception, & playing inside contact
Finding the next play: Shoulder checks, utilizing quick ups/pop passes, sprinting after the play (AKA: joining the rush)
Joining Rush as F4: Sprinting to the middle or sprinting to the weak side
Carries to create Zone Entries: Crossover-to-stride ratio, puck position, deception
Getting pucks into the slot: walking the line, creating high 3v2's
Shooting & Scoring: medium range shooting, long range shooting, using screens
Defending the Rush: Kills plays early in the OZ or NZ
Preventing high-value plays: odd-men rushes, controlled entries
Making Unassisted Stops: Pressuring along the wall, pushing-in
Check Identification & Attachment
Stick Positioning
Plays with a sense of urgency in all 3 zones:
a lack of/no hesitancy. Jack mentioned that this is the biggest thing that sticks out to him about why Hedman's been less than stellar this season.

What to avoid when looking for in a defenseman:
Habitual Punting: Low-controlled exit%
No Poise and an inability to ID a vial option on the breakout: High turnover rate
Let's their partner do all the work on the breakout
Does not improve the condition of the puck:
skates into pressure, lots of individual dump-ins
Does not spring into action
Never in the OZ:
low individual and team offense
Inefficient Shooting Habits: AKA Radko Gudas
Can't match their checks speed: needign to pivot or cross over to match their checks speed
Over/under aggression: lunging and sagging
Poor Threat Recognition: being lost in DZ and not knowing where the threat is or where it will be coming from

Straight-forward stuff. Loved it though. Exactly how I evaluate defenseman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad