Prospect Info: 2021 NHL Draft Thread Vol. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
BINKSYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

I always think this is what each coach is thinking in those pictures:

Vigneault: I have no idea who this 14 year old is, but the sooner we trade this tweenybopper for defensive help the better. But I'll give him some workout tips in the meantime. Alain is a generous man.

Hakstol: If I help you, Clarice, it will be 'turns' with us too. Quid pro quo. I tell you things, you tell me things. Not about this case, though. About yourself. Quid pro quo. Yes or no?

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
What part of 5 minute highlights don’t you understand, wank? :laugh:

Visually, Clarke looks like an average-above average skater. It definitely doesn’t standout at first glance — not negatively either. His footwork actually seems quite good though, and maybe there’s sneaky power in his stride with work. Obviously, I haven’t seen him for 25 minutes in a game using that skating situationally. Hughes of course shines (he kind of skates like shorter Travo). But boy, the other two just look gross. Upright, no stride, no footwork, stop moving their feet under pressure. I had to do a double take. But they are big boys!
Watched a couple U18 games. Was not impressed with Clarke, particularly. Agree on Edvinsson, not Hedman. Beniers was great at WJC. If we win a lottery spot at least our scouts have seen UMichigan…

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Watched a couple U18 games. Was not impressed with Clarke, particularly. Agree on Edvinsson, not Hedman. Beniers was great at WJC. If we win a lottery spot at least our scouts have seen UMichigan…

I’ve seen Beniers at the WJC and a tiny bit with Michigan. I like him just fine. But if he’s a top 2 forward and possible lottery pick (along with someone like Power), I think that just speaks to the draft quality up top — or in what has been an unusual year, the perceivable quality. Hence why quantity might be the goal this draft. But Beniers looks like a 10-15 guy in an average draft; not sure he will be a star. But I haven’t done extensive watching, so maybe I’m out to lunch!

pooch

May 30, 2017
Do we like Svechkov as a potential target assuming we draft around the 13th spot? Bolduc? Sillinger? Whoever we pick, I want speed and skill.

Don Nachbaur 26

Jun 23, 2008
Mount Joy, PA
I do miss the heartwarming draft moments like these though.....

f878fb1e2897234fa1a2847b1f0e1f23
lotl9yj.png
Hakstol looks like he wants to lick NP's face

IronMarshal

Mar 7, 2002
Langhorne, PA
Visit site
I would not be surprised if Beniers was the first player taken in the draft. To me he looks like the most complete player, really good skater with elite edges and intelligence. Kind of like a not quite as big, but far superior skating Sean Couturier. I really like him. He is going to be really good and really hard to play against.

IronMarshal

Mar 7, 2002
Langhorne, PA
Visit site
If the Flyers don't move up in the lottery or trade, I think we may be looking at one of Lucius, Sillinger, Lysell, McTavish, Lambos (LD) or Cuelemans (RD). The first four are all good goal scorers, Lambos is a complete two way defender, and Cuelemans is a good sized, pretty high octane RHD out of the AJHL program that Makar came from. McTavish and Sillinger are sub optimal skaters.

Reactions: Larry44

pooch

May 30, 2017
If the Flyers don't move up in the lottery or trade, I think we may be looking at one of Lucius, Sillinger, Lysell, McTavish, Lambos (LD) or Cuelemans (RD). The first four are all good goal scorers, Lambos is a complete two way defender, and Cuelemans is a good sized, pretty high octane RHD out of the AJHL program that Makar came from. McTavish and Sillinger are sub optimal skaters.
I think LD is the last position they should draft (unless its one of Hughes, Power or Edvinsson but unless those guys fall, they shouldn't be available). I'm intrigued by Svechkov but have no idea where he goes in this draft.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Beniers is really good and probably the safest bet in the class to be something, but he's just such an underwhelming 1-1 candidate (like much of the class tbh).

I haven't seen Lucius, but Lysell and McTavish stand out above the others. I'd feel better about Sillinger if he showed more of a playmaking element. I'm really hesitant to take non-dual threat wingers in the lottery. Lambos would be a really disappointing pick in the lottery for this team. Solid defender, but if they are taking a LH shot, they have to have difference-making skills. Lambos is not that imo. Cuelemans would be a second round or trade back into the late first round option for me. I was kind of expecting more at the u18s. I didn't even think he was the second best defenseman on that team and that wasn't a great blueline to begin with.

There are a number of defensemen I have my eye on in that late 1st-early 2nd round range so I wouldn't force a defenseman pick in the lottery unless one of the big ones fell or came within trade up range. Luke Hughes has injury and character questions apparently so he could slide. He's a LH shot, but I would find it hard to believe he wouldn't be BPA if the Flyers stay where they are and he falls. Not as skilled as his brothers, but he certainly has enough to be an impact guy and he is much bigger than his brothers (not sure if it's because he plays a lot with Behrens but he looks massive out there). More puck rusher than pure playmaker it seems but that could be system related. Explosive second and third gears. He just chews up open ice. And in the games I watched he played exclusively RD and handled it well so that is nice. Eligible for the draft by less than a week. You just don't see first round caliber defensemen this young.

IronMarshal

Mar 7, 2002
Langhorne, PA
Visit site
I think LD is the last position they should draft (unless its one of Hughes, Power or Edvinsson but unless those guys fall, they shouldn't be available). I'm intrigued by Svechkov but have no idea where he goes in this draft.
Svechkov has been climbing in the rankings. I doubt he gets taken before the Flyers pick though. He is a very good complete player, very adept defensively and a strong playmaker on offense. He has a decent wrist shot. He has played very well in the VHL, something not many u18s do. He has a high hockey IQ. He is strong on his skates, and has really good lateral bursts, though his seed is just good. He is a puck hound who doesn't shy from getting hit. He probably goes in the top 20, maybe the top 15. I am always a little leery of taken Russian players in the first if there are comparable Canadian, American, Swedish, or Finnish (who the Flyers don't take) available. Too much risk on something going wrong for my tastes. That said Svechkov is a very good prospect.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

IronMarshal

Mar 7, 2002
Langhorne, PA
Visit site
Beniers is really good and probably the safest bet in the class to be something, but he's just such an underwhelming 1-1 candidate (like much of the class tbh).

I haven't seen Lucius, but Lysell and McTavish stand out above the others. I'd feel better about Sillinger if he showed more of a playmaking element. I'm really hesitant to take non-dual threat wingers in the lottery. Lambos would be a really disappointing pick in the lottery for this team. Solid defender, but if they are taking a LH shot, they have to have difference-making skills. Lambos is not that imo. Cuelemans would be a second round or trade back into the late first round option for me. I was kind of expecting more at the u18s. I didn't even think he was the second best defenseman on that team and that wasn't a great blueline to begin with.

There are a number of defensemen I have my eye on in that late 1st-early 2nd round range so I wouldn't force a defenseman pick in the lottery unless one of the big ones fell or came within trade up range. Luke Hughes has injury and character questions apparently so he could slide. He's a LH shot, but I would find it hard to believe he wouldn't be BPA if the Flyers stay where they are and he falls. Not as skilled as his brothers, but he certainly has enough to be an impact guy and he is much bigger than his brothers (not sure if it's because he plays a lot with Behrens but he looks massive out there). More puck rusher than pure playmaker it seems but that could be system related. Explosive second and third gears. He just chews up open ice. And in the games I watched he played exclusively RD and handled it well so that is nice. Eligible for the draft by less than a week. You just don't see first round caliber defensemen this young.

I agree on Hughes, love the player, but I doubt he slides. I also love Clarke who is a RHD. Lucius seems to have bounced back from his injury pretty well. I think a couple of years of college and Cuelemans should be good. Very good skater who is very physical and has a pretty good shot too. He is mistake prone though, and you probably noticed that in the U18s. If he gets good coaching, and is not a total knucklehead, he could be real good. But you are right that he is a little riskier than the others.

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
A lot of movement in Elite Prospects latest rankings:
Elite Prospects - NHL Draft Center ELITEPROSPECTS.COM TOP 32

upload_2021-5-24_13-44-28.png

The EliteProspects Rinkside post-U18 2021 NHL Draft Ranking - EP Rinkside
We wanted to better reflect the will of our group. So, we changed our process a bit, allowing each of our scouts to submit weighted ballots for some of the highest spots on our board, and allowing for more collaborative work as the ranking continued. It resulted in a drastic departure from our last ranking in some cases, but we were prepared to deal with any feedback to that end by taking solace in the work itself.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
I didn't see McTavish's skating as an issue. He moves pretty well from v. limited U18 views. I'll watch them again but it didn't seem to be an issue. Probably not a top 5 pick, but a lot of people have him top 10ish, and certainly in the Flyers' range.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Recency bias. He was really good in the U18s
He was, but not THAT good. Here's Larry's version of scouting. That guy looks just like Couts on that play, who is he? McTavish. Then, late in the gold medal game, I saw a player flying up ice on the forecheck wreck a Dman and take the puck and make a nice play. Who's that? Oh, McTavish again. Small sample, but a guy who keeps making outstanding plays where he stands out gets noticed. Good hands for passing, great shot, big strong kid. Dad Dale was a Peterborough Pete who played in Europe.

I would be happy with him or several other guys in the range. Whatever, we need speed and size up front or a really good all around Dman. Hence they will pick a goalie. :)

IronMarshal

Mar 7, 2002
Langhorne, PA
Visit site
If Guenther falls to ninth like this article says, you have to think seriously about trading up to nab him. He is a highly skilled player. The kid has as much star potential as anyone in the draft. I have him in the top 4 (not that I know anything).

IronMarshal

Mar 7, 2002
Langhorne, PA
Visit site
He was, but not THAT good. Here's Larry's version of scouting. That guy looks just like Couts on that play, who is he? McTavish. Then, late in the gold medal game, I saw a player flying up ice on the forecheck wreck a Dman and take the puck and make a nice play. Who's that? Oh, McTavish again. Small sample, but a guy who keeps making outstanding plays where he stands out gets noticed. Good hands for passing, great shot, big strong kid. Dad Dale was a Peterborough Pete who played in Europe.

I would be happy with him or several other guys in the range. Whatever, we need speed and size up front or a really good all around Dman. Hence they will pick a goalie. :)
I like his physicality combined with his ability to shoot the puck. He might be this year's Foerster, and Foerster's success in the AHL might be also driving him higher in the charts.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
If Guenther falls to ninth like this article says, you have to think seriously about trading up to nab him. He is a highly skilled player. The kid has as much star potential as anyone in the draft. I have him in the top 4 (not that I know anything).
Guenther is good but I get Dylan Cozens vibes. More solid than star imo.

Not to put too much stock into u18s (tbf this whole season is SSS) but he just wasn't a dominant player at that level and he should have been if he was a serious 1st overall candidate as many thought/hoped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad