2021 NHL Draft Thread: Brackett and Friends

Status
Not open for further replies.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Dream scenario for me would be to end with 2 top 10 picks this year. If we got a player like Johnson/Beniers at like 6 and then Luke Hughes at 10, we’d have a disgusting core moving forward.

Boldy-Rossi-Fiala
Beckman-Johnson/Beniers-Kaprizov
Greenway-Ek-Khovanov
Khusnutdinov-Sturm-Firstov

Hughes-Spurgeon
Brodin-Addison
O’Rourke-Menell

Jones/Kahk
Jones/Kahk

obviously bot all those guys will make the team, but this is just what the projection would be 3-5 years out based on all our prospects. Some of these guys will be gone as well; I don’t see Greenway still being here. And I’m sure there will be a few veterans added here and there, but this would be, as I said, my dream scenario. And, I honestly think that if we could pull something g like this off, that the core peices to a championship team would be in place and we could begin adding to win. We could be a year away, more like 8 months, from being at the point where we’ve completed out seemingly never ending rebuild. What is your guys’ dream scenario?

Part of that dream scenario needs to include cap relief (trade, LTIR) for Parise, Suter and Zuc.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Dream scenario for me would be to end with 2 top 10 picks this year. If we got a player like Johnson/Beniers at like 6 and then Luke Hughes at 10, we’d have a disgusting core moving forward.

Boldy-Rossi-Fiala
Beckman-Johnson/Beniers-Kaprizov
Greenway-Ek-Khovanov
Khusnutdinov-Sturm-Firstov

Hughes-Spurgeon
Brodin-Addison
O’Rourke-Menell

Jones/Kahk
Jones/Kahk

obviously bot all those guys will make the team, but this is just what the projection would be 3-5 years out based on all our prospects. Some of these guys will be gone as well; I don’t see Greenway still being here. And I’m sure there will be a few veterans added here and there, but this would be, as I said, my dream scenario. And, I honestly think that if we could pull something g like this off, that the core peices to a championship team would be in place and we could begin adding to win. We could be a year away, more like 8 months, from being at the point where we’ve completed out seemingly never ending rebuild. What is your guys’ dream scenario?

Not rooting for it necessarily, but I think I could accept a disappointing season if it meant two top 10 picks, plus two additional 2nd rounders (via trades). I agree that one more good draft could wrap up the putting together of a very legit core. Everybody has to mostly pan out of course, but there is legit offensive talent in our current “big 4” of forwards, plus some nice secondary pieces in JEE and Greenway. I’d say we’re probably 2-3 pieces and 2-3 years away from being a very interesting team.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Not rooting for it necessarily, but I think I could accept a disappointing season if it meant two top 10 picks, plus two additional 2nd rounders (via trades). I agree that one more good draft could wrap up the putting together of a very legit core. Everybody has to mostly pan out of course, but there is legit offensive talent in our current “big 4” of forwards, plus some nice secondary pieces in JEE and Greenway. I’d say we’re probably 2-3 pieces and 2-3 years away from being a very interesting team.
That’s where I’m at with it too. I’m not going to be cheering for the tank unless we start terribly this year. I’m fine with whatever happens as long as we see good strides from the core. Like you said, players would have to pan out, though.

I’m going to be cheering against Pittsburgh so hard this year; it’s really fun having an interest in another teams’ misfortunes.

Reactions: MuckOG

fentonsbrainchild

Jul 29, 2019
That’s where I’m at with it too. I’m not going to be cheering for the tank unless we start terribly this year. I’m fine with whatever happens as long as we see good strides from the core. Like you said, players would have to pan out, though.

I’m going to be cheering against Pittsburgh so hard this year; it’s really fun having an interest in another teams’ misfortunes.
How I think our U25 core will pan out at their prime.
1. Kaprizov-one of the leagues premier wingers
2. Rossi-all situations 1C (not in skill set but in usage think Patrice Bergeron)
3. Fiala-to continue what we saw outside the first 8 games this season
4. Boldy-an all situations elite winger
5. RoR-probably the most underrated Wild prospect on this board, #2D with top of the line intangibles.
6. Addison-I think there's a significant chance he's a better NHLer than Zucker
7. JEE-shutdown C giving us matchup flexibility
8. Marat-almost certain he will have a long career in the NHL. Probably a middle 6 C, but time will tell.
9-10. Khovanov and Beckman-so much of their future depends on how they physically progress. Khovy doesn't have the body of a NHLer and I think he realized that in the KHL.

Adding someone like Beniers (seems to project like the perfect 1b Center) would have me ecstatic. I think one more year of acquiring draft picks by selling at the deadline is all that is needed to enhance the prospect pool fully. From there a Parise LTIR would be the only thing I'd still ask for.

In terms of fit a few years down the road I would see this...

xxx-Rossi-Kaprizov
Boldy-Beniers-Fiala
Marat-Ek-xxx

Beckman, Khovanov, Firstov, Greenway (if he's still here), and vets can fill in the gaps.

Beniers, Johnson, Hughes, and Guenther are a few realistic names I've let myself envision in Wild sweaters.

It's a lot more exciting to be a Wild fan than it was 18 months ago.

Reactions: 16thOverallSaveUs

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I don't know if I'd call Beckman a "huge stretch". While I agree you should be cautious with mid rounders as far as expectations go, he did nothing but exceed them last year. Keep adding players like him in those spots and one of them is bound to hit.

GordieGallant

Oct 6, 2020
East Metro, soon to be Up North.
upload_2020-12-30_17-50-55.jpeg

20th Anniversary Logo

Last edited:

guitarhunterdude

Jan 2, 2017
'Sota
Just the fact the Dubnyk is gone makes me happy. If all our prospects pan out I can see the Wild as a contender. Won’t be this year, probably not next year.
A lot of dead weight has been culled.

Us and every other team. I'm still not convinced this is a better group of prospects than Granlund/Coyle/Zucker/Nino/Phillips was. Hopefully development goes a little better this time.

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
If Fiala continues to look like the player we think he will be, Kaprizov is in the running for a top 5 Calder finish (I would think that is likely), our defensive corps stays fairly healthy, and Talbot/KK look to have a pulse...

There is no way this team is in the mix for a top 10 draft pick.

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
If Fiala continues to look like the player we think he will be, Kaprizov is in the running for a top 5 Calder finish (I would think that is likely), our defensive corps stays fairly healthy, and Talbot/KK look to have a pulse...

There is no way this team is in the mix for a top 10 draft pick.
That’s a lot of if, though... I could realistically see us finishing anywhere from 25th-10th overall.

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
That’s a lot of if, though... I could realistically see us finishing anywhere from 25th-10th overall.

With where we stand today, I do not see any of those things not coming to fruition.

• Fiala coming well back to the back? Maybe because he hasn’t proved it over the long term but it’s hard to sit here today after what he did last year and think he’s not going to produce while being put into a position to be the trigger for offense.
  • Kaprizov isn’t just some normal rookie. He’s coming into the league polished in a men’s league and bringing along immense talent. Hard to see him not being in the mix for the Calder.
  • Defensive corps in line to fall off the map? Given the talent and age, I can’t fathom it given all of their resumes.
  • Talbot and Khakonen being an upgrade on Dubnyk and Stalock? They damn well better be or they have the worst tandem in the history of the game.
The reality is injuries could create problems but that’s the same for about 25 teams in the league. I don’t think this is a contending team but as constructed, I don’t see bottom 10 finish without tremendous problems arising.

Reactions: MuckOG

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I'm prepared for almost anything with a short season.

24 games against Colorado, Vegas and St. Louis
On paper we should be better than Anaheim and Arizona, but they're likely going to have the goalie advantage in most of our games
San Jose has talent if Jones or Dubnyk can somehow surprise even a little

Wins aside, I'm most interested in Fiala, Kaprizov, Dumba and Kahkonen (and Rossi if he plays). How those 4 or 5 guys do is going to mean a hell of a lot, not only for this season, but the next 5-10.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
With where we stand today, I do not see any of those things not coming to fruition.

• Fiala coming well back to the back? Maybe because he hasn’t proved it over the long term but it’s hard to sit here today after what he did last year and think he’s not going to produce while being put into a position to be the trigger for offense.
  • Kaprizov isn’t just some normal rookie. He’s coming into the league polished in a men’s league and bringing along immense talent. Hard to see him not being in the mix for the Calder.
  • Defensive corps in line to fall off the map? Given the talent and age, I can’t fathom it given all of their resumes.
  • Talbot and Khakonen being an upgrade of n Dubnyk and Stalock? They damn well better be or they have the worst tandem in the history of the game.
The reality is injuries could create problems but that’s the same for about 25 teams in the league. I don’t think this is a contending team but as constructed, I don’t see bottom 10 finish without tremendous problems arising.

On top of everything you say, the Wild get to play the Kings, Ducks, Sharks and Coyotes 8 games each.

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
Us and every other team. I'm still not convinced this is a better group of prospects than Granlund/Coyle/Zucker/Nino/Phillips was. Hopefully development goes a little better this time.
This crop of prospects is definitely better than Granlund/Coyle/Zucker/Nino/Phillips.

Kaprizov/Rossi/Boldy/O'Rourke/Khusnutdinov/Addison/Nesterenko/Firstov is miles better.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
dream scenario 21 draft for me would be many picks. lets say wild & pens miss playoffs then one pick wins a lotto pick. trade deadline mojo, bonino , bjugstad lets say a 3rd each. hartman & pateryn & hunt a 4th each. do some horse trading and end up turning those into a pair of 2nds. plus our normal picks turns into best wild draft ever! (again dream scenario no rips & bashes needed)

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
As far as the comparing time period prospect pools, it sort of depends what years we are looking at back in those years. Because the Wild currently do not have defensive prospects on the level of Brodin and Dumba.

Outside of the defenders, the biggest difference between then and now is that they have Rossi in the fold and there just wasn’t that type of prospect in that range. Granlund/Kaprizov are pretty negligible based on their prospect status. And most other forward prospects line up pretty well with the tiers they were in. It’s just that the 2010-2012 group didn’t have a prospect that could match up with where Rossi would slot in.

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018

• Talbot and Khakonen being an upgrade on Dubnyk and Stalock? They damn well better be or they have the worst tandem in the history of the game.
There’s way too much unpredictability to say we can’t finish bottom 10. Injuries happen and this is a roster that might not score a ton. Goaltending could be better, and it should be, but there’s still a chance Talbot isn’t a starting caliber goalie.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Covid could hit a team and take out a few players for a couple of weeks, also. That adds a completely unpredictable element to the season.

fentonsbrainchild

Jul 29, 2019
Covid could hit a team and take out a few players for a couple of weeks, also. That adds a completely unpredictable element to the season.
I saw a few weeks ago Bettman wanted to purchase the vaccine for the NHL but haven't heard anything recently?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad