Prospect Info: 2021 NHL Draft Prospects

Hoog

Feb 4, 2021
Honestly, the more I watch and read on Fabian Lysell the more I am kind of getting sweet on the guy. If I had faith he could grow and fill out a bit more in the next two years, he would be my #1 guy. Speed, tenacity, good brain, plays his own end, right handed shot, and is ultra creative. As it stands right now, here is how I rank my top 10 prospects:

1. Hughes
2. Power
3. Beniers
4. Lysell
5. Eklund
6. Kent Johnson
7. Guenther
8. Edvinsson
9. Fydor Svechkov
10. Clarke

I don't think I would be pissed if the Wings took any of them. If they went off this board, then I wouldn't be happy.

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018
I really question Edvinsson's upside. Definitely have him on the lower end of the top 10, possibly in the top 15...

Eklund though, I like him a lot. Surefire top 5 guy for me.
I like Svozil more than Edvinsson, he is significantly better defensively and has good offensive upside, despite him not playing much minutes in extraliga this year(more like not playing at all). He is also LD, he could be great second 1st round pick for us and is very fast and agile skater, big dude as well.

Last edited:

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Honestly, the more I watch and read on Fabian Lysell the more I am kind of getting sweet on the guy. If I had faith he could grow and fill out a bit more in the next two years, he would be my #1 guy. Speed, tenacity, good brain, plays his own end, right handed shot, and is ultra creative. As it stands right now, here is how I rank my top 10 prospects:

1. Hughes
2. Power
3. Beniers
4. Lysell
5. Eklund
6. Kent Johnson
7. Guenther
8. Edvinsson
9. Fydor Svechkov
10. Clarke

I don't think I would be pissed if the Wings took any of them. If they went off this board, then I wouldn't be happy.
Clarke could be the best defenseman for this draft

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Surprised to see Button rank Edvinsson at 3 after the recent comments given on the podcast I listened to that I posted.

• Guenther out of the top 5 is interesting.
  • Johnson out of the top 10 is interesting.
  • Lysell at 27 is interesting.
  • Would like to hear the reasoning behind L'Heureux at 8. Didn't pay as much attention to the Q because I didn't think there was anyone really high end this year.
  • I knew he liked Svechkov from the podcast he does with Dean Millard.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Surprised to see Button rank Edvinsson at 3 after the recent comments given on the podcast I listened to that I posted.

• Would like to hear the reasoning behind L'Heureux at 8. Didn't pay as much attention to the Q because I didn't think there was anyone really high end this year.
L'Heureux will go to Rangers

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
This draft looks like a bunch of solid players with few stars. If we someone slipping we could get creative with all the picks we have.

Hoog

Feb 4, 2021
This draft looks like a bunch of solid players with few stars. If we someone slipping we could get creative with all the picks we have.

I could see Steve moving around in the first to get Cossa or Wall. Maybe moving up with the Washington pick then back into the first for another player. I'd rather see him moving up then moving out of spots. In the end, I think this draft will be looked at as better than it is right now.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

There's some pretty good kids in the Q this year that look like they would be good middle 6 contributor types. Probably moreso than most years. A lot of centers this year that are worth a watch.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

L'Heureux at 8 stuck out to me as well. I'm hoping hes a guy to get with the caps pick not the wings first pick lol.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
You want to draft another 5'10 winger?

you don’t get to choose what’s available to you. Drafting for need is how you end up with Hayton instead of Hughes.

If a 5’10 winger is the best player with the highest ceiling you take him.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Or Chibrikov, who kind of plays like Kucherov. Would not be surprised if we were much higher than the consensus on either one.
There is always Russian factor, Russian prospects usually draft later rather earlier. I am not going to surprise if one of them going to be available, Chayka is another one, probably the best Russian prospect this draft

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
you don’t get to choose what’s available to you. Drafting for need is how you end up with Hayton instead of Hughes.

If a 5’10 winger is the best player with the highest ceiling you take him.

Only if you have true confidence he's the best player available.
If the Red Wings draft another Winger in the top 8 this year, they're adding at least another year to their rebuild. it's that simple.

Reactions: njx9

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Only if you have true confidence he's the best player available.
If the Red Wings draft another Winger in the top 8 this year, they're adding at least another year to their rebuild. it's that simple.

It really isn’t “that simple.” Drafting a C or D could bump the timeline back just as much if they don’t turn into a productive top line player.

Your black and white outlook on this is counterproductive.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
On topic but also off topic, I really miss Yannick's youtube channel. His video scouting was really insightful. I would have loved to hear what he has to say about this year's draft.

Reactions: alexislafreniere

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
And if they reach for a C or D who ends up being a nonfactor at the NHL level, that adds a lot more than one year to the rebuild

Exactly.

If we draft one of Eklund, Guenther or Johnson in the first round it's not the end of the world. If and/or when they are ready to step into a top 6 role and we look thin at another position then we look to trade from our position of strength (wing) for a position of weakness.

Yzerman turned Drouin into Sergachev. And after Mantha for Vrana + Panik + 1st + 2nd trade I'm confident that he'd be able to turn any of Berggren/Zadina/Raymond/Bertuzzi/Fabbri into a filled need.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Everyone's least trusted prospect columnist did a mailbag this week, and with the discussion surrounding Eklund recently, I figured I would share a few.

NHL prospects mailbag: Expectations for the Kings and Sabres; targets in the 2021 draft

"As a Swede watching prospect rankings, I think that a lot of European prospects on the lists are very undervalued. Is it the lack of available information or nationality bias that is the issue? I sometimes feel like if William Eklund had been Canadian or American he’d be the consensus No. 1. — Lars T
Some NHL scouts feel like Eklund is in the No. 1 mix. Most don’t and I have my reservations but when you really break his game down his only real flaw is his size, which should concern you if you can’t find anything else wrong. His performance with the national team recently is moving the needle a bit in his favor too."

"How do you view the top defensemen compared to last year’s Drysdale/Jake Sanderson? Would you rather Lucas Raymond or Guenther/Eklund? — Timothy H
I think Power and Luke Hughes are comparable to both of them at the same time and I would lean to the 2021 guys, but Drysdale’s season has been so good I may rate him as the best of the bunch right now.
It’s close enough to be a three-way tie. I think Guenther offers the most, but I know scouts who would take one of the Swedes as the best of the three."

"Aside from Luke Hughes, who are the other ELITE skaters in this draft? Where does Hughes stack up against recent elite skating prospects? — Jeremy F
He’s the best skater in the class considering his size. Other guys who would be in the discussion are William Eklund, Olen Zellweger, Jimi Suomi, Justin Robidas. Re-entry guy but Miguel Tourigny in Blainville can fly too."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad