Prospect Info: 2021 NHL Draft Prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Brandt Clarke has to be of great interest to the Devils, especially with his brother Graeme in the Devils organization and the need for a top-pairing RD (Walsh and McCarthy are likely lower-pairing RD). Unfortunately, I'd say Clarke is legitimately in the mix for #1 overall, and I just don't see the Devils drafting high enough to have a shot.

Ceulemans is extremely intriguing in that he has a terrific combination of size (6'2-195) and high end speed, and his offensive tool kit is completely stocked. But it has to be concerning that he is very weak defensively, even in the AJHL. I wouldn't say he's as mind-numbingly bad in his own end as a Poirier or Grans last year, but he's a long long long way off from being an NHL defenseman. It's very difficult to justify a first round pick on a defenseman who does not defend. But I agree with you that in a modern NHL with many teams desperate at RD and relying on advanced statistics, Ceulemans could hear his name called on day one of the 2021 draft.
Clarke is my favourite player in this draft and I think he is exactly what the devils need. I Think he has potential to be an elite number one defencemen that could make a great pairing with smith.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
This draft is loaded with defenseman which we need. I don’t care if they are right or left handed we need good defenseman. We have ty smith who is a lefty but prefers to play the right side same with vatanen

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
And we might not care about handedness but the team clearly does. Pretty much only left shots playing on the left side and right shots playing on the right side. Bottom line is that our prospect pool is hugely skewed toward left hand shooters and that has to be a consideration.

Ya. We way-overcompensated with LHD a couple drafts ago. The classic over-squeeze.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
Yeah Sami likes playing RD and one of the main reasons I recall he also got out of the Ducks was because they were forcing him to play LD all the time.

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
No. He's pretty definitively a RD. I believe we tried him on the left next to Severson and it was pretty disastrous.
Ok ya know what forget my comment about vatanen :laugh:Vatanen won’t even be around by the time our 2021 pick plays and ty smith will be. I know for sure ty smith played the right side as a lefty in juniors

Reactions: MichaelJ

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Ok ya know what forget my comment about vatanen :laugh:Vatanen won’t even be around by the time our 2021 pick plays and ty smith will be. I know for sure ty smith played the right side as a lefty in juniors
That we agree on. Smith *MAY* be better on the right. No way to know since he hasn't played on the right at this level yet.

Butcher also can play on the right, and personally I thought he played better there than on the left.

Reactions: Nico Hischier

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
Smith has played on the right and left in juniors, but is better at is natural LD side. After he matures more, then yeah im sure he could try RD a bit.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Clarke is my favourite player in this draft and I think he is exactly what the devils need. I Think he has potential to be an elite number one defencemen that could make a great pairing with smith.

Clarke's upside is huge, I would say it compares to a young Erik Karlsson when you combine his outstanding mobility, offensive awareness, hands and passing ability. So, yes his upside is around where you feel it is. However, it needs to be stated that there is notable risk with Clarke, especially for a kid who could go first overall in the 2021 draft. Though his defensive game has made some strides in Slovakia, this is a kid with a lot of work to do on the back-end before he's getting regular minutes from an NHL coach.

In terms of upside? The argument can certainly be made that no one in the 2021 draft has more than Clarke. He can really make things happen when the puck is on his stick, and he's surgical on thee PP. To me, he's pretty much unchallenged as the top RD in the class of 2021. But the risk/reward factor definitely exists.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Clarke's upside is huge, I would say it compares to a young Erik Karlsson when you combine his outstanding mobility, offensive awareness, hands and passing ability. So, yes his upside is around where you feel it is. However, it needs to be stated that there is notable risk with Clarke, especially for a kid who could go first overall in the 2021 draft. Though his defensive game has made some strides in Slovakia, this is a kid with a lot of work to do on the back-end before he's getting regular minutes from an NHL coach.

In terms of upside? The argument can certainly be made that no one in the 2021 draft has more than Clarke. He can really make things happen when the puck is on his stick, and he's surgical on thee PP. To me, he's pretty much unchallenged as the top RD in the class of 2021. But the risk/reward factor definitely exists.
Think Karlsson is a pretty good comparison except he’s taller and probably not as fast.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
@StevenToddIves Can you do next "prospect profile" from Simon Edvinsson?

2021 Draft Profile:

LD Simon Edvinsson, Frolunda SHL

It's tough to miss this kid on the ice due to his tantalizing combination of size (6'4-190) and excellent skating ability. Like Owen Power, he's not just a "good skater for a big man", he's simply a very accomplished skater... period. When you combine that kind of wingspan with those wheels, he's an immediate match-up problem for the other team, and very difficult to beat one-on-one.

Edvinsson is a prospect I really like. This is because all of his abilities are scarce, and almost all of his warts are correctable through good coaching and development. His strengths are myriad, and extremely exciting. In addition to the size/skating combo, Edvinsson is an excellent passer who processes the ice very well. He can break out of the defensive zone or into the offensive zone by darting quick, accurate passes to his forwards, or he can just skate it himself. This ability is accentuated by the fact that Edvinsson has a silky set of hands -- again, not just for a big player, but for anyone. Every game I've watched Edvinsson featured at least one play where, head-up, he quickly built up steam, glided up ice while stick handling deftly to either get his team out of trouble or put the opposition into trouble. This skill-set is not easily taught, and it's very impressive.

Inside the offensive zone, Edvinsson always looking to pinch and join the offense, sometimes to a detriment. Like many offensive defenders at his age, he certainly needs to shore up his decision making with pinches and rushes, and occasionally will serve up a fat turnover to the opposition while trying to accomplish too much on his own.

Defensively, Edvinsson is almost like two players. One on hand, he's terrific at using his reach and speed to close gaps and break up opposing rushes. Though not physical, his edge in strength and size makes him a regular winner in puck battles along the boards. Once he separates the opposition from the puck, he already knows what to do with it -- again, he processes the game at a very good speed and passes extremely well -- though it would be a mistake to confuse him with a player of "elite vision" like a Brandt Clarke. Edvinsson is a very good passer, but he's not "special" in that sense. Still, the combination of his size, speed, passing and puckhandling makes him an excellent prospect, probably in the top 10 for the 2021 draft.

Edvinsson will likely be compared to Owen Power, since they are both huge, smooth skating defenders who are likely to go high in the draft. It's important to note when comparing them that Edvinsson's major weaknesses are big strengths for Power. Power has no problem with the physical game. While Edvinsson's physicality cannot be seen as a "negative" due to the fact that he takes advantage of it to win battles on a regular basis, he is not a player who initiates hits or rough stuff, which makes him a lot easier to play against and generally makes him less effective in his own crease.

Though most of Edvinsson's weaknesses are very correctable (risks gone wrong, not assertive enough), the one which is the most concerning is that he does not shoot the puck well. I would say Edvinsson's shot is well below average in terms of both velocity and accuracy. This is a problem especially on the PP, as it allows smart penalty killers to give him some space, clogging the passing and skating lanes.

So, I really see Edvinsson as the ideal mid-pairing NHL defender, with perhaps some top-pairing upside due to his rare and outstanding strengths. I'd have to say my favorite aspect of Edvinsson's game is the intangible where he is very calming with the puck. It is quite common to see his team hemmed in the zone until Edvinsson gathers the puck, shrugs away a defender, and with a silky move and two powerful strides is gliding out of his own zone and putting his team on offense. I think he's very smart and positionally aware.

I've seen Edvinsson ranked all over the place -- from #2 overall to just outside the top 20. I think you're crazy if you're ranking him above Owen Power, who can do everything Edvinsson can do and also the things Edvinsson cannot do (with an even more tantalizing size/skating combo). But I also think you need to reevaluate things if you have him outside the top 20 -- as all Edvinsson's defensive flaws are not the result of a low hockey IQ or lack of effort, but rather the fact that the kid just sometimes tries to do too much.

Ultimately, the question with Edvinsson will be where he ranks inside a talented 2021 class at D. He's certainly an excellent offensive prospect, but lacks the elite offensive instincts of a Luke Hughes or Brandt Clarke. He's a very intriguing defensive prospect as well, but he lacks the true shut-down ability of an Owen Power, Carson Lambos or Stanislav Svozil. From a Devils standpoint, I'd say he's actually comparable to Shakir Mukhamadullin in some ways. Their size is about even, and while Mukhamadullin would get a big edge in shooting and a bit of an edge in passing, Edvinsson would get a big edge in skating explosiveness and also an edge in puck handling. In the end, I feel Edvinsson is a kid who would go in the 15-20 range in the more talented 2020 class but will likely hear his name called in the top 10 in 2021.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2021 Draft Profile:

C/LW Kent Johnson, University of Michigan NCAA

In terms of offensive flash and dynamic ability, there is no better prospect in the 2021 draft than Kent Johnson. I would call his scoring upside tops in the 2021 class, and I'm certain I would not be alone in this praise. His combination of magical hands, creativity with the puck, seemingly psychic no-look passing ability and high-end shooting capability makes Johnson a potential high-scoring first-line talent in the NHL. However, it must be said that -- unlike many prospects, notably his Wolverines teammate Matthew Beniers -- Johnson comes with legitimate risk which must be factored in when analyzing him as a prospect.

Johnson is not a player who catches your eye when the puck is not on his stick. He's a reedy (albeit projectable) 6'1-165, and his play without the puck is what I would call "neither here nor there". He's not physical but not afraid, he's not good defensively nor is he a liability. His skating is about average in terms of balance, speed and edgework, and he's got sort of a funky stride where one leg extends further than the other. But he's athletic and smart, which makes me think that a good NHL skating coach could clean up his mechanics and get him to a higher level of speed and explosiveness. So, without the puck we would watch Johnson and wonder how he was being considered as a top 5 overall pick.

But when Kent Johnson gets the puck? Just wow.

Johnson has that uncanny on-ice awareness of a Trevor Zegras -- when he collects the puck he has seemingly already beaten the first defender and surveyed every available passing lane on the ice. His hands are magical -- he has a litany of moves and dekes, and nary a period goes by where you don't see him turn a defender inside out. Johnson is a true all-purpose offensive threat in that he can embarrass the defense in every imaginable way -- whether it be by stick handling around them, making a quick fake to open a passing lane and then threading a seemingly impossible no-look pass, or by using his hands and awareness to instantly open a shooting angle and then roofing the puck top cheddar. This kid was born to score.

I think we're going to see a lot of Zegras comparisons with Johnson because of his highlight reel passing and maneuvering, so I think it's important to mention early on that Johnson is not quite the level of prospect as Zegras. Zegras is a better skater with more complete game, which is why I had him as the #1 prospect in hockey until Anaheim called him up to the NHL last week. But Johnson is a tremendous offensive talent in his own right, and he is capable of offense in a way which is rare and beautiful to watch.

Johnson is not without his warts, but aside from the skating most of them are typical, if not correctable. Like many puck magicians, Johnson is prone to giveaways and sometimes tries to do too much when a simple zone entry or exit would be all the wiser. But again, he's a kid with a very high hockey IQ and good compete level, so I expect experience, development and coaching to help him alleviate this. You're not drafting him to be a perfect, all-situations player -- you're drafting him to put up tons of points and be decent in the surrounding elements of the game. I have high confidence Johnson will accomplish this.

From a Devils standpoint, I feel Johnson would make a lot of sense. Though the Devils are deep on the wing and center, I feel Johnson has a unique skill set which would really shine alongside a high-end two-way center like Nico Hischier. It's important to keep in mind that -- like Trevor Zegras -- though Johnson is known for his incredible passing and elusiveness, he's also one hell of a finisher. He can bury the puck. I'll repeat my mantra on Kent Johnson, which is that this kid was born to score. I feel his lack of high end skating and 200-foot questions will keep him out of the top 5-7 picks, much like Cole Perfetti last year, so I think this may be a kid the Devils will have a shot at. Then again, his offensive ability is scintillating and rare, so in a draft without a consensus #1 it's not impossible that Johnson could even go first overall.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
At this rate, I don't see Luke falling out of the top-5. If we stay somewhat competitive we probably won't have a shot, unless we trade up.

Especially if vancouver keeps sucking. You know Hughes is high on their list right about now. I can't even begin to guess where the devils will end up because if they figure out the pk, they are playoff team imo. Question is...will they figure it out?

Nicomo Cosca

Aug 13, 2020
Cincinnati, OH
Especially if vancouver keeps sucking. You know Hughes is high on their list right about now. I can't even begin to guess where the devils will end up because if they figure out the pk, they are playoff team imo. Question is...will they figure it out?
If they do figure out the PK (they have to right?) I could see them being a bubble team. Mac is that good.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Draft BAP in this draft or go more based on need as the scouting and draft order will be all over the map from team to team ?
If there is no stud RHD available while there is a LHD , I say draft the better player and if you really are stuck needing a RHD , then trade for one .

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Guys -- let me know if there's a prospect you would like me to profile. Right now, I'm just doing them at my own speed -- obviously I was able to scout three U of Michigan prospects together, and I wrote ups Edvinsson because he was requested by @Figgie . I'm planning on writing up Luke Hughes next, because he's the guy most talked about by Devils fans, obviously.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Draft BAP in this draft or go more based on need as the scouting and draft order will be all over the map from team to team ?
If there is no stud RHD available while there is a LHD , I say draft the better player and if you really are stuck needing a RHD , then trade for one .

BPA, always. i don't care if they are RH, LH, ambidextrous or armless. take the BPA

edit- obligatory

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
BPA, always. i don't care if they are RH, LH, ambidextrous or armless. take the BPA

I agree, here. There's really only one RD I see right now as a surefire first round pick, and Brandt Clarke is going to go really early. The worst thing the Devils could do would be to reach for a RD with some really good LDs and LWs on the board. This draft is deep at both those positions.

Reactions: MartyOwns
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad