Prospect Info: 2021 NHL Draft Prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2021 Draft Profile:

LW/RW Matthew Coronato, Chicago USHL

Those of you who have been following my draft/prospect writing for years know I really like to be the first guy to pump up sleeper prospects and I absolutely love to advocate local prospects. No one checks both of these boxes quite like Long Island native Matthew Coronato.

The Chicago Steel have really become the best development program in the USHL, outside of the US-NTDP of course. They have uncovered and helped develop another gem in Coronato. What is there to attract us to this kid? Simply put -- he's a scorer. He's got a deadly shot and seems to be a magnet for loose pucks in the offensive zone; he's always in the softest scoring area with the type of instincts which cannot be taught. He is also a true dual threat -- without being an elite passer, Coronato is a very smart and very good puck distributor, especially down low.

I've heard Coronato knocked as a "smaller winger", but his build reminds me a lot of a young Zach Parise. The Long Islander is probably around 5'10-185, very solidly built with a lot of strength to crash creases and win board battles. He's not a perfect player, as his skating stride can be cleaned up some. I think the difference between his being seen as a middle-6 prospect with scoring pop or a top-6 scoring possibility rests on his chances of getting his skating speed and acceleration from "average" to "pretty good".

Let's go straight to the obvious -- if Coronato does not seem like a first round prospect when discussing his tool kit, we need to focus on just how high-end his scoring instincts are. In 31 USHL games -- a notoriously defensive league -- Coronato right now has 28 goals and 27 assists for 55 points. This is just ridiculous production. He competes extremely well which leads to incredible consistency -- Coronato had a team record scoring streak this year for the Steel. I've gotten to watch the USHL a bit more than normal due to this awful pandemic, and every game I've watched Coronato has brought a smile to my face.

Ultimately, I think Matthew's lack of high end speed and below 6'0 height will drop him to the 2nd round despite his gaudy numbers. This makes him a tremendous sleeper candidate for the Devils. Again, we're talking about a kid who is a threat to score any time he gets the puck in the offensive zone. He's probably in my first round rankings, albeit in the 25-30 range. I'm a fan, and Matthew Coronato is a great guy to keep an eye on in the months leading up tot he 2021 NHL draft.

Last edited:

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Hey, STI, is there a big strong excellent skating winger in this draft that can shoot the lights out even if his playmaking is meh? NJ needs a guy like that in my view. Two centers that need a triggerman right now and if Mercer ends up as a center himself that's a lot of eggs in the Holtz basket. A bit of depth for that role would be good.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Hey, STI, is there a big strong excellent skating winger in this draft that can shoot the lights out even if his playmaking is meh? NJ needs a guy like that in my view. Two centers that need a triggerman right now and if Mercer ends up as a center himself that's a lot of eggs in the Holtz basket. A bit of depth for that role would be good.

I think they need a guy who is a sniper and has high hockey iq. A sniper who has no idea how to anticipates plays won't be very good in the NHL. Those kinds are kinda rare though.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I think they need a guy who is a sniper and has high hockey iq. A sniper who has no idea how to anticipates plays won't be very good in the NHL. Those kinds are kinda rare though.

I'll sacrifice playmaking though. I can live with a bigger Palms with a bigger shot who skates somewhat better. That's a good but findable player if you do your homework. I'm not asking for Ovechkin but someone that can maybe create a bit of pushback if need be when Hughes is out there and can get in position and shoot when called upon.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
I'll sacrifice playmaking though. I can live with a bigger Palms with a bigger shot who skates somewhat better. That's a good but findable player if you do your homework. I'm not asking for Ovechkin but someone that can maybe create a bit of pushback if need be when Hughes is out there and can get in position and shoot when called upon.

but playmaking and hockey iq is different things. That's why I wanted to make that clarification.

Reactions: My3Sons

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Luke Hughes

i dont need to see any other defenseman. Ive seen him enough to know he can be a #1 in the NHL

would also help convince Jack to stay for his entire career

hate to say it but unless there are any huge swings in the standings, the rangers are a lot more likely to end up with hughes than we are

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

Keep in mind that Holtz is a goal-scoring RW and Mercer is likely to spend most of his minutes on the RW, as well. Also, the Devils have Nolan Foote -- a pure shooter -- in the (left) wings. Tyce Thompson certainly has upside as a 25-goal guy for your second line. So goal-scoring winger -- while you can never have too many of them, of course -- is not an organizational dearth in New Jersey by any means.

The 2021 class is not extremely deep in "power forward goal scoring" types, which is I think what you're looking for. But there's certainly a few intriguing power forward types and a few wingers with 30+ goal upside. But I'd say right now there are more "dual-threat" wingers than pure goal scorers.

Reactions: nugg and My3Sons

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
hate to say it but unless there are any huge swings in the standings, the rangers are a lot more likely to end up with hughes than we are

Rangers need Matthew Beniers far more than a LD. Although it would be fun to have Luke Hughes on the Rangers -- that would make the rivalry even more fun, in my opinion.

Reactions: MartyOwns

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ
Keep in mind that Holtz is a goal-scoring RW and Mercer is likely to spend most of his minutes on the RW, as well. Also, the Devils have Nolan Foote -- a pure shooter -- in the (left) wings. Tyce Thompson certainly has upside as a 25-goal guy for your second line. So goal-scoring winger -- while you can never have too many of them, of course -- is not an organizational dearth in New Jersey by any means.

The 2021 class is not extremely deep in "power forward goal scoring" types, which is I think what you're looking for. But there's certainly a few intriguing power forward types and a few wingers with 30+ goal upside. But I'd say right now there are more "dual-threat" wingers than pure goal scorers.
Foote played his first game at 1LW this season last game after playing 1RW the first five games.

Merkley took over 1RW and Seney was bumped down to 2LW.

It will be interesting to see if this sticks or if Foote goes back to RW.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
At the risk of upsetting people, I personally think that Luke Hughes has become overrated. From what I’ve seen he looks like a good top half of the first round talent but not a special player who’s good enough to be a top 5 pick. I haven’t watched that many other guys very much tho, so maybe this draft is just that weak that he is a top 5 guy. But other guys I have watched such as Clarke and Edvinsson look like better players with higher potential to me. Not sold on Power either. Just my opinion, probably haven’t watched enough either and could very well be wrong.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
At the risk of upsetting people, I personally think that Luke Hughes has become overrated. From what I’ve seen he looks like a good top half of the first round talent but not a special player who’s good enough to be a top 5 pick. I haven’t watched that many other guys very much tho, so maybe this draft is just that weak that he is a top 5 guy. But other guys I have watched such as Clarke and Edvinsson look like better players with higher potential to me. Not sold on Power either. Just my opinion, probably haven’t watched enough either and could very well be wrong.

I have to imagine him being less than a week away from being 2022 eligible plays into it quite a bit. He is sooo young for this class and looks really good

Figgie

Apr 24, 2018
Finland
it would be fun to have Luke Hughes on the Rangers

NO! It would not be any funny. I would love to have Luke in Devils but if we don't get him so I really hope he is not going to Vancouver or Rags.

And here is the reason why I want Luke:

Luke Hughes

i dont need to see any other defenseman. Ive seen him enough to know he can be a #1 in the NHL

would also help convince Jack to stay for his entire career

Reactions: Woncka

Clam Jensen

Apr 8, 2008
NJ
Imagine being the parents of 3 top-7 draft picks (assuming Luke doesn’t fall past 7), and from Florida of all places.

Reactions: Woncka
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad