Not open for further replies.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
The consensus seems to be there is no consensus with the top 3 and with spotty scouting this might be an actual horse race. I’m curious when our in-house scouting staff can even see a lot of all these kids.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Afaik Owen Powers has been ranked #1 the most for a while.
Well Aatu Raty was right there with him unless his unimpressive start in Liiga this season has sunk him. I’m not arguing against Power becoming the consensus 1st, on October 8th Pronman said in a survey of scouts it was split 50/50 between Raty and Power with “a slight tilt to Power” and “odd vote to Dylan Guenther“.

In write ups I’ve seen Brandt Clarke, Kent Johnson and Carson Lambos all getting talked up in what was an admittedly endless pre-season for these kids. I don’t have a pick but this looks undecided as of now and it will depend a lot on the kind of season these guys can have under these trying circumstances.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
Does anyone know which leagues are up and running and which ones have been shut down the entire time?

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
Let's get one of our guy's brothers. Either Luke Hughes or Brandt Clarke.

The real prize though is Owen Powers. Man, that kid's gonna be something special. Same with Kent Johnsson, but I think we should be focusing more towards dmen this draft,

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Given that there’s not really even a consensus top 3 and all of the uncertainty/inconsistencies of leagues this year... this draft seems primed for some steals to be taken outside of the top 5 :nod:

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
If we were to draft another Hughes, would the Vancouver Hughes like to join his bros in the future? I’m sure Vancouver would be a bit worried until they have him signed long term. In saying that I’m all on board for Clarke.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Holtz made excellent play to make a goal by Eklund. Eklund isn`t my #1 only because he is forward. I really like his game and he is undrafted yet!

Last edited:
Reactions: My3Sons

KinCornKarn

Oct 2, 2003
While I get that, there are three Hughes brothers. That's a lot of brothers to get together and might dominate the dynamic of the team.

Nah, that's too practical and rational. Im choosing to give in to the paranoia. Think of all the worrying over hughes for the next 6 years or so. Can this board really go through that? The Devils can stop it in its tracks. Imagine how much better everyone will feel if they draft Hughes. "The New Jersey Devils are proud to select Luke Hughes." It will be like soothing music, cracking fire, ocean sounds. Forget everything else and embrace the emotional decision.

Reactions: My3Sons

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
After all the Djurgarden games it is worth noting that I'm sorry that we have to take a defenseman in the first round. Eklund is a worthy candidate.

I've just dabbled with research for 2021 draft eligibles, but I can say that a great number of defensemen have seriously impressed me.

I would say LD Owen Power is the favorite right now to be drafted #1 overall. The kid is just a freak at 6'5-215, with very good skating ability. Defensively he's a beast, but offensively he's also flashed top pairing potential. His shot is ridiculous and he's a great passer.

The best pure offensive defenseman in the draft is likely RD Brandt Clarke, the brother of Devils prospect Graeme Clarke. This kid's skating is just ridiculous and he also boasts elite abilities in the stick handling and vision categories.

Right behind Clarke offensively is LD Luke Hughes, the third of the amazingly-talented Hughes brothers. Luke is bigger than Quinn and Jack but can also absolutely fly. He's not as polished offensively as Clarke but when he's focused and on his game, he can just dominate the pace. Luke also needs a ton of work on his defensive game, but his 60+ point offensive upside is why you're drafting him.

The best "hybrid" defenseman I would say is the Winnipeg Ice's LD Carson Lambos. This kid is just so good on either side of the puck, and he's probably ahead of the rest of the kids on this list in terms of decision-making and polish. He's the classic all-situations guy, he'll run your power play and be the guy you want out there protecting a one-goal lead late.

I expect Power to be the #1 overall pick and I'd say Clarke and Lambos are very likely top-5 selections. Hughes is a likely top-10 pick.

The best European defenseman comes down to three players, all of whom I could imagine also winding up as top 10 picks. Out of Sweden, LD Simon Edvinsson is also what you would call the classic hybrid D, and also combines great size (6'4-185) with very good skating abilities. Out of Russia, LD Daniil Chayka is another big kid (6'3-185) who skates well and is very advanced defensively, especially considering his age. He reminds me a bit of Jake Sanderson in that he is very careful with his offensive rushes and chances, but when he makes them he consistently impresses -- I think we're talking about a Ryan Suter-type shut-down guy who can also contribute 40+ points at the NHL level. I'd say the most underrated defenseman in the 2021 class right now is Czech LD Stanislav Svozil, a very advanced defender with a high hockey IQ and elite or near-elite playmaking abilities. Though not as big (6'1-180) or fast as the other D-men on this list, he's looked really good in the Czech elite league this year and the lack of attention Czech prospects have had of late make him a very intriguing kid to project.

Though the 2021 draft is very tough to predict at this point, one competition which is pretty much wrapped up already is "best-named defender", which goes hands-down to Halifax Mooseheads LD Cameron Whynot. Incidentally, he's also a 6'1-185 two-way stud who is likely to be picked in the latter half of the first round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->