Prospect Info: 2021 NHL Draft Prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
Yeah everything is going to be a crapshoot outside of the top most likely. Players are going to taken all over the place off the "board"

If you have a lot of depths picks this year, you might be able to get some reason undiscovered gems i bet

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
Francesco Pinelli? Why not. This is kind of a guessing game unless OHL etc gets some games in.

I’m a Kitchener Rangers fan as well as a Devils fan and this is by far the highest I’ve seen him rated. But he was fantastic at a top 6 16 yo on a veteran Kitchener team, models his game after Malkin.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Ive heard no talk about this at all.
I’ve heard it and the sort functional proposal has two drafts happening back to back with the draft classes remaining separate. (Other people have suggested one mega draft that sounded unworkable and stupid.)

I don’t know if that’s better for these teens who’ve already been screwed in so many ways, but if it is I’m for it. Now of course NHL cares about what’s better for them. This would screw up the value of draft picks since there would be two years worth of picks on the market. Bad teams would likely want to delay the draft because high draft picks are pretty big deal.

Here’s Yzerman quote that got people buzzing, but the NHL has nothing said about it:

Reactions: Poppy Whoa Sonnet

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I’ve heard it and the sort functional proposal has two drafts happening back to back with the draft classes remaining separate. (Other people have suggested one mega draft that sounded unworkable and stupid.)

I don’t know if that’s better for these teens who’ve already been screwed in so many ways, but if it is I’m for it. Now of course NHL cares about what’s better for them. This would screw up the value of draft picks since there would be two years worth of picks on the market. Bad teams would likely want to delay the draft because high draft picks are pretty big deal.

Here’s Yzerman quote that got people buzzing, but the NHL has nothing said about it:

Yeah what I read is you basically have two drafts in 2022. A 19 year old draft, which would feature all the prospects in current rankings, quickly followed by an 18 year old draft.

The actual draft order wouldn't change. The 19 year old would be based off this season's standings. 18 year old based on 2022's standings.

As you said scout's are frustrated by the total lack of information they are going to have going into this year's draft and the stakes for teams on the high end are pretty big.

Reactions: Poppy Whoa Sonnet

markog

Apr 4, 2008
Slovenia
Wrong time to tank Yzerman, stop crying and do your job the best as you can at this time. Everybody has to adjust.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Yeah what I read is you basically have two drafts in 2022. A 19 year old draft, which would feature all the prospects in current rankings, quickly followed by an 18 year old draft.

The actual draft order wouldn't change. The 19 year old would be based off this season's standings. 18 year old based on 2022's standings.

As you said scout's are frustrated by the total lack of information they are going to have going into this year's draft and the stakes for teams on the high end are pretty big.

good i like it, players shouldn't be drafted until they're 19 anyway. less crapshoots that way

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
good i like it, players shouldn't be drafted until they're 19 anyway. less crapshoots that way

It could make sense for one season because of how much of an outlier this year will be for player development, but with this type of thinking then we probably shouldn’t draft most players until they are 21/22 because then you have more of a true idea of who will sink or swim. Much like the nfl where most players drafted are in their early 20s.

I sure hope we don’t skip a draft this year though... I’m missing enough things due to Covid, I would hate for draft night/ weekend to be added to that list.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Wrong time to tank Yzerman, stop crying and do your job the best as you can at this time. Everybody has to adjust.

I don't think Yzerman's an outlier with this line of thinking. The top tier of guys aren't necessarily the concern, but getting a read on the non-blue chip players will be tough with a limited schedule. If anything Detroit's probably in a somewhat better spot compared to other teams for their first round pick since they'd likely be top 5. Wings would have easy access to view the Wolverine trio (granted I don't think they were letting scouts in the building) and the USNTDP.

It's always fun to look back at some preseason rankings to see how they can vary wildly nine months down the road:

2014-15 NHL Pre-Season Draft Rankings

Elite prospect Matthews tops McKenzie's ranking

McKenzie's pre-season ranking: The 'Nolan Patrick Draft' (This one is fun without Nico, Heiskanen, Makar in the preseason top 15)

The Year of Swedish Defencemen

Hughes leads the pack in TSN Hockey's pre-season draft ranking

Reactions: markog

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Cory Pronman just had an article about the potential delay. Now Pronman was for having the 2020 draft in June for what I consider some weaker reasons, including “maintaining strong relationships with TV partners who were struggling” and fan interest, but he admits he was “likely” wrong about.

That said, he brings up a good points about problems with significantly delaying the 2021 draft, including how it would force staffs to simultaneously scout two draft classes at once. Drafts already push them to the limit so it’s hard to see how they could double their work load.

2020 draft, outside of the top, will likely end up being dominated by players from leagues that have played more. 2022 will then have more overagers to pick up the missed players. There will be kids who didn’t get to play and their draft dream got killed real early because of COVID.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
I know this would never happen, if they could delay the draft to late summer maybe they could invite some prospects to some draft scrimmages or something when it is safer?

This draft is gonna be a mess. But could really find some gems

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I know this would never happen, if they could delay the draft to late summer maybe they could invite some prospects to some draft scrimmages or something when it is safer?

This draft is gonna be a mess. But could really find some gems
Don’t discount your idea here and the chances for it happening, Pronman’s Athletic article discusses a potential prospect showcase tournament before the 2021 draft. MLB is having a prospect tournament at their combine and Pronman says “the buzz in NHL scouting circles is for the NHL to do something similar”.

Reactions: Darkauron

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
Don’t discount your idea here and the chances for it happening, Pronman’s Athletic article discusses a potential prospect showcase tournament before the 2021 draft. MLB is having a prospect tournament at their combine and Pronman says “the buzz in NHL scouting circles is for the NHL to do something similar”.

Oh nice. That would be great to see.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Insider Trading: NHL considering pushing back draft - TSN.ca

It sure sounds like that; there’s ongoing conversations at the NHL level, hockey operations, the National Hockey League is deeply involved, the commissioner’s office will get involved as well. I will say this, there’s no guarantee that the NHL is going to host the draft in July. Now, there’s lots of talk across the National Hockey League about the draft being pushed from 2021 – this summer – to 2022 – the summer – and the NHL hosting back-to-back drafts. NHL general managers are very much in favour of this and you got to think the 2021 draft eligible players would also be in favour of it, given the fact a majority of these kids aren’t playing hockey right now. But, keep in mind this is a CBA-related issue, the NHLPA is not involved yet, but they will have to get involved if there’s change.

Looking like the draft postponement is gaining traction. This probably wouldn't be the worst draft for this to happen since the top guys probably weren't locks to make the NHL as 18 year olds.

Could see some headaches with the 20 year old North Americans and 21 year Europeans who were in their last draft eligible seasons. If they wait until 2022, they would over the normal draft age, but maybe the NHL will just let those guys become free agents instead.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
Works for me. It is really unfair for a lot of players that have barely played this season if is still held. Sucks for us but I think it is for the beat

Reactions: Blackjack

Camille the Eel

On the other hand, one might welcome the crapshoot, deuces and jokers wild element of drafting in 2021 on schedule. Would personally love to see it. Why ever not? The draft is already speculative enough. Why not shuffle the deck up even more.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Does the nhl really want to be responsible for killing @StevenToddIves ?

So, I've gone back to look at some of your recent posts and you've really moved up in the rankings. I'd select you ahed of both Zacha and McLeod in a redraft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad