Prospect Info: 2021 NHL Draft Prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
I've just dabbled with research for 2021 draft eligibles, but I can say that a great number of defensemen have seriously impressed me.

I would say LD Owen Power is the favorite right now to be drafted #1 overall. The kid is just a freak at 6'5-215, with very good skating ability. Defensively he's a beast, but offensively he's also flashed top pairing potential. His shot is ridiculous and he's a great passer.

The best pure offensive defenseman in the draft is likely RD Brandt Clarke, the brother of Devils prospect Graeme Clarke. This kid's skating is just ridiculous and he also boasts elite abilities in the stick handling and vision categories.

Right behind Clarke offensively is LD Luke Hughes, the third of the amazingly-talented Hughes brothers. Luke is bigger than Quinn and Jack but can also absolutely fly. He's not as polished offensively as Clarke but when he's focused and on his game, he can just dominate the pace. Luke also needs a ton of work on his defensive game, but his 60+ point offensive upside is why you're drafting him.

The best "hybrid" defenseman I would say is the Winnipeg Ice's LD Carson Lambos. This kid is just so good on either side of the puck, and he's probably ahead of the rest of the kids on this list in terms of decision-making and polish. He's the classic all-situations guy, he'll run your power play and be the guy you want out there protecting a one-goal lead late.

I expect Power to be the #1 overall pick and I'd say Clarke and Lambos are very likely top-5 selections. Hughes is a likely top-10 pick.

The best European defenseman comes down to three players, all of whom I could imagine also winding up as top 10 picks. Out of Sweden, LD Simon Edvinsson is also what you would call the classic hybrid D, and also combines great size (6'4-185) with very good skating abilities. Out of Russia, LD Daniil Chayka is another big kid (6'3-185) who skates well and is very advanced defensively, especially considering his age. He reminds me a bit of Jake Sanderson in that he is very careful with his offensive rushes and chances, but when he makes them he consistently impresses -- I think we're talking about a Ryan Suter-type shut-down guy who can also contribute 40+ points at the NHL level. I'd say the most underrated defenseman in the 2021 class right now is Czech LD Stanislav Svozil, a very advanced defender with a high hockey IQ and elite or near-elite playmaking abilities. Though not as big (6'1-180) or fast as the other D-men on this list, he's looked really good in the Czech elite league this year and the lack of attention Czech prospects have had of late make him a very intriguing kid to project.

Though the 2021 draft is very tough to predict at this point, one competition which is pretty much wrapped up already is "best-named defender", which goes hands-down to Halifax Mooseheads LD Cameron Whynot. Incidentally, he's also a 6'1-185 two-way stud who is likely to be picked in the latter half of the first round.

Just dabbled ?!? Just dabbled?

Get to work you bum, what do you think we pay you for?

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
Been getting quite a few viewings in of University of Michigan lately. They have 3 players who could go in the top-10 this next draft: Owen Power (as @StevenToddIves mentions above), but also forwards Kent Johnson and Matthew Beniers.

Owen Power has already proven to be a top flight defenseman after just a few NCAA games. I'd like to see him play a bit more aggressive physically and extend his skating stride a bit more so he can really move around the ice, but his mobility is already top notch. He's quite adept at skating backwards and making plays like that. His vision on the ice is quite impressive and he has the ability to thread a pass through to attacking forwards...has a heck of a scoring knack too. Defensively he doesn't have too much to work on - he was only beat wide a few times and to be quite honest, that will improve with more NCAA reps. He's an offense driver and has already been logging, on average, the second most ice-time on the team for skaters. He's mostly played on the left side, but experimented on the right side just a wee bit. Not going to say surefire top draft pick because there are plenty of contenders, but he's looking like an absolute top-pairing defenseman in the NHL.

Forward Kent Johnson is a ridiculously talented playmaker. He'll make passes and pivots where I'll have to pause the stream and try to rewind. High end skating, dynamic speed...he's got everything y0u want from an offense-first winger. Not much else said.

Forward Matthew Beniers already has quite the amount of experience playing against NCAA competition already from his time with the USNTDP last season, and it shows. Beniers is another high-end skater who gives it all on every shift. He'll be the first in on the forecheck, and whatever other proverbial hockey terms we like to use for a hard-worker. This especially shows when he's on the penalty kill, but don't sell his offensive game short either. He's an all-situations player and looks like he might be able to stick at center.

I do think we'll take a defenseman with our first round pick this draft, but there are some very talented forwards that shouldn't be overlooked either.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
If Quinton Byfield’s 8/19/02 birthday meant that he still had more developing to do because of his youth compared to someone older like Rossi (and therefore a potentially higher ceiling) than Luke Hughes is still in swaddling clothes with his 9/9/03 bday. And speaking of comparisons, Powers is old for his draft class with his 11/22/02 birthday but he’s 6’5” so maybe people won’t fixate on that as much.

There’s a temptation to compare the Hughes brothers among themselves but Quinn was old for draft class with his 10/19/99 birthday and Jack (5/14/01) was a year and 7 months younger when he was drafted a year later.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I've just dabbled with research for 2021 draft eligibles, but I can say that a great number of defensemen have seriously impressed me.

I would say LD Owen Power is the favorite right now to be drafted #1 overall. The kid is just a freak at 6'5-215, with very good skating ability. Defensively he's a beast, but offensively he's also flashed top pairing potential. His shot is ridiculous and he's a great passer.

The best pure offensive defenseman in the draft is likely RD Brandt Clarke, the brother of Devils prospect Graeme Clarke. This kid's skating is just ridiculous and he also boasts elite abilities in the stick handling and vision categories.

Right behind Clarke offensively is LD Luke Hughes, the third of the amazingly-talented Hughes brothers. Luke is bigger than Quinn and Jack but can also absolutely fly. He's not as polished offensively as Clarke but when he's focused and on his game, he can just dominate the pace. Luke also needs a ton of work on his defensive game, but his 60+ point offensive upside is why you're drafting him.

The best "hybrid" defenseman I would say is the Winnipeg Ice's LD Carson Lambos. This kid is just so good on either side of the puck, and he's probably ahead of the rest of the kids on this list in terms of decision-making and polish. He's the classic all-situations guy, he'll run your power play and be the guy you want out there protecting a one-goal lead late.

I expect Power to be the #1 overall pick and I'd say Clarke and Lambos are very likely top-5 selections. Hughes is a likely top-10 pick.

The best European defenseman comes down to three players, all of whom I could imagine also winding up as top 10 picks. Out of Sweden, LD Simon Edvinsson is also what you would call the classic hybrid D, and also combines great size (6'4-185) with very good skating abilities. Out of Russia, LD Daniil Chayka is another big kid (6'3-185) who skates well and is very advanced defensively, especially considering his age. He reminds me a bit of Jake Sanderson in that he is very careful with his offensive rushes and chances, but when he makes them he consistently impresses -- I think we're talking about a Ryan Suter-type shut-down guy who can also contribute 40+ points at the NHL level. I'd say the most underrated defenseman in the 2021 class right now is Czech LD Stanislav Svozil, a very advanced defender with a high hockey IQ and elite or near-elite playmaking abilities. Though not as big (6'1-180) or fast as the other D-men on this list, he's looked really good in the Czech elite league this year and the lack of attention Czech prospects have had of late make him a very intriguing kid to project.

Though the 2021 draft is very tough to predict at this point, one competition which is pretty much wrapped up already is "best-named defender", which goes hands-down to Halifax Mooseheads LD Cameron Whynot. Incidentally, he's also a 6'1-185 two-way stud who is likely to be picked in the latter half of the first round.

There are to many hot LD guys, at the same time, we need to focus on the RD. It's a bit sad, but we have such a large selection of prospects on the left - for the near, medium and long term.
So far, it looks like if we're in bottom 5, we'll be choosing between Power and Clarke. Depending on the place and luck in the lottery.
Chayka has problems playing in his zone, but he works very well with the puck, athletic and understands his body well. But he was the worst defenseman in the Karjala Cup in the Russian national team.

I`m really interesting in Theo Angesved, Roman Schmidt and Corson Ceulemans because i think we will have a couple of picks in first round.

Last edited:

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
There are to many hot LD guys, at the same time, we need to focus on the RD. It's a bit sad, but we have such a large selection of prospects on the left - for the near, medium and long term.
So far, it looks like if we're in bottom 5, we'll be choosing between Power and Clarke. Depending on the place and luck in the lottery.
Chayka has problems playing in his zone, but he works very well with the puck, athletic and understands his body well. But he was the worst defenseman in the Karjala Cup in the Russian national team.

I`m really interesting in Theo Angesved, Roman Schmidt and Corson Ceulemans because i think we will have a couple of picks in first round.

Have you had a chance to watch Sharangovich? If so how does he look to you compared to other legit NHL prospects playing in the KHL?

Reactions: StevenToddIves

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Have you had a chance to watch Sharangovich? If so how does he look to you compared to other legit NHL prospects playing in the KHL?
I watched some of his games. Watched his today game. He is hard worker. With good shot. I don`t see great playmaking potential here, anyway i see a coleman type in him more than in any of other njd young player. Sharangovich is fast. The nature of his game is to be in the fight for the puck and win it, make a short pass after. Or roll on the net by himself. He is not a shooter like Palmieri, he scores exactly like Coleman did in devils uniform. And what i especially like in his game - deflection isn`t alien to him.

we missed the topic a bit.

Last edited:

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I watched some of his games. Watched his today game. He is hard worker. With good shot. I don`t see great playmaking potential here, anyway i see a coleman type in him more than in any of other njd young player. Sharangovich is fast. The nature of his game is to be in the fight for the puck and win it, make a short pass after. Or roll on the net by himself. He is not a shooter like Palmieri, he scores exactly like Coleman did in devils uniform. And what i especially like in his game - deflection isn`t alien to him.

we missed the topic a bit.
Ya. From the little I've seen he seems like a power forward who can win board battles and drive the net to screen the goalie and/or get deflections. It's some skills the Devils need badly.

Reactions: My3Sons and Guadana

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Ya. From the little I've seen he seems like a power forward who can win board battles and drive the net to screen the goalie and/or get deflections. It's some skills the Devils need badly.
What Devils need badly is a couple of good RD. Hope we will have a shot on Clarke. (I awkwardly try to translate the topic to the appropriate topic. In General, good teams have a few of gritty players who can fight, skate, hold the zone and score goals from time to time)

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
What Devils need badly is a couple of good RD. Hope we will have a shot on Clarke. (I awkwardly try to translate the topic to the appropriate topic. In General, good teams have a few of gritty players who can fight, skate, hold the zone and score goals from time to time)

So in some of the prospects discussion on the main board, I've seen both praising and criticism of his skating. Hopefully some sort of junior season is played so the scouts can have decent looks at these guys.

Reactions: Guadana

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
So in some of the prospects discussion on the main board, I've seen both praising and criticism of his skating. Hopefully some sort of junior season is played so the scouts can have decent looks at these guys.
I was looking forward to that Clarke played in Allsvenskan, but as I understand it - there is no agreement between the OHL and Allsvenskan, so he will not be there to play. If he has bad skating, then whatever. Sean Day was good in many ways, but the skating was so-so. We don't need this.

hidek91

Jan 13, 2014
Warsaw, PL
How would you guys compare this draft (in terms of quality of prospects) to previous drafts?

Strong 2017 vibes?

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
This is going to be a strange draft when it comes to development in these players draft eligible years.

I value playoff teams 1st rounders more than normal this year because I could see potential steals being found in the 20 and higher draft positions more often than most years.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
How would you guys compare this draft (in terms of quality of prospects) to previous drafts?

Strong 2017 vibes?

Seems like even the NHL scouts don't quite know what to make of it due to the inactivity. At least for me, there were some 2012 vibes with regards to a lack of top end forwards but a good selection of D in the top 10. Maybe even some 2012 mystery vibes with how Galchenyuk, Rielly, and Koekkoek all ended up in the top 10 despite missing most of their draft years due to injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad