2021 NHL Draft Prospects

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
Random friend: I'm besties with Marcus, what about you?
Me: Whynot Cameron.
Random: Because Cameron just isn't as well "in your face" to other people unlike Marcus.
Me: No I meant my best friend is Cameron Whynot. Whynot is his last name...
Random friend: Oh.....

Could do a mini abbot and costello bit... :laugh:

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
A few guys i have read about while reading about 2020 prospects. Jason Siedem, Tristian Lennox, and Gratton (can't remember first name) a defensemen seems highly touted.

As late birth 02's Siedem and Lennox both look like good bets at this point to be good prospects at their positions for the 2021 draft. Both have good size and make an impact when playing with the 02's.

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
2003-borns with NHL bloodlines

Hugo Alfredsson - Daniel Alfredsson's son
Caden Brown - Jeff Brown's son/Logan Brown's brother
Douglas Messier - Mark Messier's son
Cole Sillinger - Mike Sillinger's son
Colton Dach - Kirby Dach's brother (not NHL yet but still a familiar name)
Justin Robidas - Stéphane Robidas' son

Deif

Sep 20, 2014

Patrik Stefans son - James Stefan, and Bryan Smolinskis son, Max Smolinski, are 2003s. Draft potential - remains to be seen.

JFA87-66-99

Jun 12, 2007
USA

I know Cole Sillinger and Justin Robidas are good prospects but how about the other players mentioned here. Also one player I keep coming across is D Dylan Gratton. Hes a 2003 born who seems to get a lot of high praise, especially when he plays up a year with the 2002's. Does anyone have anything to add about him?

PostFriend

Nov 3, 2016
To be fair, there is NOBODY thus far that is even close to going first overall for this draft. Hell, there is nobody looking to go 1st overall in 2019 - only 3 to 5 players in that discussion and zero consensus.

Not sure I share your opinion there.
Late born 02 Swedish goalie Jesper Wallstedt competed last season with players born 99-00 in J18 elit/allsvenskan and finally was part of one of the fourth best teams in the final in Sweden.
After the season he got two awards, Jacob Markström Trophy - the league's best goalkeeper and Fredrik Pettersson Trophy - The most valuable player (MVP) of the SM Final J18 over all players, just 14 years old...

https://www.hockeymagasinet.com/awards (artikel in Swedish)

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=394724

He has also been part of the Swedish national team 16 last season and team 17 the upcoming season, as an underage.
http://www.swehockey.se/globalasset...ugust-2017/roster_swe_russin_jul-aug_2017.pdf

There is no one late born 02 or 03 on that lavel right now in the world, I gess. Next season Jesper has an J20 superelit kontrakt and what I understand he maybe will do some senior games in divison 1 in Sweden also, if he is prepared for that. We will see...

There is lot of hockey left intill 2021 NHL draft, but all unchanged, he will defenitively be a name for the first round and maybe even for the top ten, or first... A Swedish goalie has never been picked in first round ever I think. Filip Gustavsson was Penguins first pick 2016, but they did´t have any pick in the first round so he went in the second 55 overall. But, long time left...:joker:

Last edited:

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Late born 02 Swedish goalie Jesper Wallstedt competed last season with players born 99-00 in J18 elit/allsvenskan and finally was part of one of the fourth best teams in the final in Sweden.
After the season he got two awards, Jacob Markström Trophy - the league's best goalkeeper and Fredrik Pettersson Trophy - The most valuable player (MVP) of the SM Final J18 over all players, just 14 years old...

He has also been part of the Swedish national team 16 last season and team 17 the upcoming season, as an underage.
http://www.swehockey.se/globalasset...ugust-2017/roster_swe_russin_jul-aug_2017.pdf

There is no one late born 02 or 03 on that lavel right now in the world, I gess. Next season Jesper has an J20 superelit kontrakt and what I understand he maybe will do some senior games in divison 1 in Sweden also, if he is prepared for that. We will see...

There is lot of hockey left intill 2021 NHL draft, but all unchanged, he will defenitively be a name for the first round and maybe even for the top ten, or first... A Swedish goalie has never been picked in first round ever I think. Filip Gustavsson was Penguins first pick 2016, but they did´t have any pick in the first round so he went in the second 55 overall. But, long time left...:joker:

I think the days of Goalies even sniffing top 5 in any draft are probably over now, let alone first overall. The last goalie to go top 5 was Price in 2005 at 5th overall. Since then no other goalie has gone top 5 or top 10. Only 2 goalies have gone top 15, Bernier at 11th in 2006 and Campbell at 11th in 2010. Only 2 goalies have gone top 20 Chet Pickard at 18th in 2008 and Vasilevskiy at 19th in 2012.

In the last few years there has been a big shift to taking highly ranked goalies in the late 1st to early 2nd round. I suppose the kid might be able to turn some heads but he'd have to have a draft year for the ages to go 1st overall with the new mentality in drafting goalies.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014

First round, sure, top 10 for a goalie? He has some insane stats for his age, but still top 10, not often goalies go that early. But late first round seems fairly realistic.

Reactions: Flameshomer

joshik

GEt FaK'sEd
Jul 1, 2017
Czech Republic
I would add Aatu Räty he plays a mature game in two games in which I have seen him play.
and Stanislav Svozil is pretty good at his age.
I love name of the second guy Why not :D

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Wonder what would happen nowadays if on draft day, a goalie was considered the consensus first overall. Would a team actually spend their 1st overall pick on that goalie if they didn't need one? Would a team desperate for a goalie push hard to trade for their pick? Would the team picking first still not pick the goalie even if they did need one based on precedent for high drafted goalies?

FinnishSniper

May 8, 2016
Finland
Aatu Räty might be a top 3 prospect for this draft at the moment. He is going to be playing in a great role in one of the best B-Junior teams in Finland as a double (or triple)-underager.

JFA87-66-99

Jun 12, 2007
USA
Aatu Räty might be a top 3 prospect for this draft at the moment. He is going to be playing in a great role in one of the best B-Junior teams in Finland as a double (or triple)-underager.

How does Aatu Raty compare to Kasper Simontaivel? Is he possible a better prospect. Curious to hear more about Raty?

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
How does Aatu Raty compare to Kasper tSimontaivel? Is he possible a better prospect. Curious to hear more about Raty?

In my viewings Raty has outplayed Simontaival. I fear Simontaival was a player that got a lot of hype early but whose game today does not match the hype.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
This thread makes me feel old.

I'm 17 and it even makes me feel old. Feels like it's also going to be weird in 20 years when I buy a jersey of someone younger than me. It's wayy too early for this thread though (although will be fun to look back on) not as bad as basketball where I've seen (numerous) articles on THIRD graders who have potential..

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
I'm 17 and it even makes me feel old. Feels like it's also going to be weird in 20 years when I buy a jersey of someone younger than me. It's wayy too early for this thread though (although will be fun to look back on) not as bad as basketball where I've seen (numerous) articles on THIRD graders who have potential..

I'm 15 and I'm older than these guys...

DonM

The Industrial Revolution and its consequences
May 18, 2015
If ever there were a thread to not refer to players as 'studs' it's this one. It's weird enough when people say it about nhlers and draft eligible players.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
In my viewings Raty has outplayed Simontaival. I fear Simontaival was a player that got a lot of hype early but whose game today does not match the hype.

Hmm, outplayed him yet has 2.5 times lower point production? And when exactly is "early"?

Jray42

May 10, 2009
Philadelphia
I'm 22 :cry:
I'm 15 and I'm older than these guys...

You're only 15?!? Holy ****

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad