2021 NHL Draft Prospects

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
This draft year is in deep shadows of 2019, 2020 and even 2022. Is there any "real prospect" as it is in the mentioned drat years?

There's a few Western Canadian kids to keep an eye on.

Trevor Wong is an extremely talented kid, incredible skater, good all around player. Was taken late in the 1st round of the WHL Bantam draft by Kelowna. The word on him is he is planning on going NCAA route to the University of Denver which is why he went so late in the draft . If anyone can convince him to sign it will be Kelowna though.

Dylan Guenther is #2. Played on Matthew Savoie's LW. Great skater, hell of a shot arsenal, smooth release, can score from anywhere on the ice and has a nose for the net. Western Canada's next pure goalscorer. Good size already for a 15 year old at 6'0, 161.

#3 is Carson Lambos. The best defensive prospect so far out of Western Canada. Plays a lot like Kaiden Guhle. Great two-way skater who loves to join the rush but also physically imposing and lays a beat down on the backcheck. He's a beast of a 15 year old, 6'0, 196. Kid is a tank.

Then there's Cole Sillinger, son of Mike Sillinger. Kid plays a lot like his dad, likely winger at the next level but you never know.

And also Colton Dach, brother of Kirby Dach. Like his brother he has good size already at 15 years old, 6'1, 165. And like his brother he is a playmaking centerman.

Those are the main ones to keep an eye on for now, of course there are a lot more. But I imagine Trevor Wong will be a high pick in 2021. If he doesn't accelerate he will likely end up playing BCHL for his draft year. As of right now I'd say he is the best 2021 draft eligible on my radar. He's listed at 5'8, 134. But on the ice he looks bigger. That listing hasn't changed in over 2 years though so there is no doubt in my mind he is bigger now.

Reactions: bukwas

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
This draft year is in deep shadows of 2019, 2020 and even 2022. Is there any "real prospect" as it is in the mentioned drat years?

Calling a 13 year old a "real prospect" for 2022 the draft is just ridiculous. Most of the guys you would mention won't get drafted at all.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
There were some twins on the Don Mills Flyers that caught my eye, Alex Christopolous (D) and his brother Paul (F).

Also, pretty sure they both started for the Oshawa Generals selects and from what I hear looked pretty damn good there

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
Stop. There's 4 years until the draft. Anything can happen in 4 years and these kids will grow a LOT.

Sure but the true good ones manifest the very apparent abilities very early on.. Nathan McKinnon for ex.. was spoken of at an age of 15 .and many others. At pee wee tournaments in Quebec those who with great futures can already be seen.

Reactions: 99664987

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
Anxious to see how Dylan Duke does at the University of Michigan. He should a top 10 maybe a top 5 and Raty will almost surely be a top ten.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Sure but the true good ones manifest the very apparent abilities very early on.. Nathan McKinnon for ex.. was spoken of at an age of 15 .and many others. At pee wee tournaments in Quebec those who with great futures can already be seen.

He’s more of an exception. Most of these great kids won’t have a successful pro career.

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
He’s more of an exception. Most of these great kids won’t have a successful pro career.

Of course just like most of nhl first rounders will never make it so let's not follow the draft? . I enjoy looking into the future . Paul Kariya was a pee.wee standout at the Quebec tournament and was a nhl star. It's nice to look at those who at the very least are showing great promise of being top nhl players. I don't get excited beyond that

Reactions: 99664987

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
There were some twins on the Don Mills Flyers that caught my eye, Alex Christopolous (D) and his brother Paul (F).

Also, pretty sure they both started for the Oshawa Generals selects and from what I hear looked pretty damn good there

From strictly what im reading on Trevor Wong . He sounds like a Paul kariya type

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Of course just like most of nhl first rounders will never make it so let's not follow the draft? . I enjoy looking into the future . Paul Kariya was a pee.wee standout at the Quebec tournament and was a nhl star. It's nice to look at those who at the very least are showing great promise of being top nhl players. I don't get excited beyond that

The draft is for 17-18 year olds. Hyping up 13-14 year old kids is an entirely different thing, its just silly.

Reactions: Wooren

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
The draft is for 17-18 year olds. Hyping up 13-14 year old kids is an entirely different thing, its just silly.

Why silly?? Do you know of the pee wee tournament in Quebec? You can already see these very young kids with great promise and it is fun tracking them.
You said most of these guys don't pan out .most of them don't but again niether do most first rders so using your line of reasoning we shouldn't follow the draft regardless of whether they are 14 or 18. Most don't pan out anyways.
As mentioned though it's fun to watch those with great abilities at young ages and follow them to see how they fare

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Why silly?? Do you know of the pee wee tournament in Quebec? You can already see these very young kids with great promise and it is fun tracking them.
You said most of these guys don't pan out .most of them don't but again niether do most first rders so using your line of reasoning we shouldn't follow the draft regardless of whether they are 14 or 18. Most don't pan out anyways.
As mentioned though it's fun to watch those with great abilities at young ages and follow them to see how they fare

Because it's like trying to predict the weather exactly 6 months from now. Players drafted in the 1st round are almost NHL players already, huge difference. I have watched a fair share of players that age and it's just not the same sport.

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
Because it's like trying to predict the weather exactly 6 months from now. Players drafted in the 1st round are almost NHL players already, huge difference. I have watched a fair share of players that age and it's just not the same sport.

Mark these names down and we'll talk a few yrs from now
Alexis Lafrenière
Kaspar Simontaival
Quinton byfield
Matthew Savoie
Shane Wright

Eyelanders

Jan 9, 2011
Niko Huuhtanen is very good for Finland. I'd have him as the top prospect over Aatu Räty at this point in time so seeing no mentions and Aatu Räty in top 10 lists is a little...

I think Kärpät forward Samu Tuomaala is a very talented kid with some electrifying skill. Great hands, stickhandling, can score goals and is a smooth skater. It's early but Tuomaala is a prospect to keep an eye on IMO.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Is Raty the go to #1 right now?

I think this is one of those drafts where we won't know until the North American kids start hitting Juniors. Trevor Wong is probably the best forward out of Western Canada and probably all of Canada at this point, likely a center. He will likely end up playing BCHL though unless he accelerates his schooling to play at U of Denver in his draft year. Though Peter Reynolds could challenge him for best in Canada. He is also going the NCAA route so it remains to be seen where he will play. Would be interesting if a BCHL team could recruit them both. Outside shot to Colton Dach to challenge, kid should easily be as big as his brother and another center so it's possible he challenges based on his size and ability alone.

Dylan Guenther, Logan Stankoven and Cole Sillinger are among the top goalscorers in the draft out of Western Canada. We'll have to wait for them to hit the WHL before we know what we really have there. WHL seems to fail hard on goalscorers a lot of the time so it's tough to get excited about pure shooters but Guenther is about the best we've had in awhile.

Power, Lambos and Chayka will likely compete for top dman in North America, unless there's an unknown challenger out of the US.

Then there's that Oleksii Myklukha kid who plays in the crappy Slovak leagues. I could see him coming over in the Import draft. Probably to Halifax because that's where everyone goes.

I don't know much about the potential USDP crop at this point.

MasterMatt25

Nov 19, 2014
Montreal
I think this is one of those drafts where we won't know until the North American kids start hitting Juniors. Trevor Wong is probably the best forward out of Western Canada and probably all of Canada at this point, likely a center. He will likely end up playing BCHL though unless he accelerates his schooling to play at U of Denver in his draft year. Though Peter Reynolds could challenge him for best in Canada. He is also going the NCAA route so it remains to be seen where he will play. Would be interesting if a BCHL team could recruit them both. Outside shot to Colton Dach to challenge, kid should easily be as big as his brother and another center so it's possible he challenges based on his size and ability alone.

Dylan Guenther, Logan Stankoven and Cole Sillinger are among the top goalscorers in the draft out of Western Canada. We'll have to wait for them to hit the WHL before we know what we really have there. WHL seems to fail hard on goalscorers a lot of the time so it's tough to get excited about pure shooters but Guenther is about the best we've had in awhile.

Power, Lambos and Chayka will likely compete for top dman in North America, unless there's an unknown challenger out of the US.

Then there's that Oleksii Myklukha kid who plays in the crappy Slovak leagues. I could see him coming over in the Import draft. Probably to Halifax because that's where everyone goes.

I don't know much about the potential USDP crop at this point.
I think you could lump in Whynot with Power/Lambos/Chayka

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
No Swedes? Next year will will be quite bad, 2020 semigood , 2021???

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad