2021 NHL Draft (new season tank edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Out of curiosity, why would you take Clarke given the current makeup of our team and specifically the right side of our D

The makeup of the Sharks right-handed defense is going to be very different in two-three years. There's no guarantee that any of Karlsson, Burns, or Merkley are playing for the Sharks by then and the Sharks have no one else worth a damn (Jaros? Meloche?).

Reactions: magic school bus

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007
One thing about Brandt Clarke is he's a right shot defenseman from Ottawa and wore #65 in the Slovakian men's league he played in this season. Can't imagine that's a coincidence.

I think it's known that he grew up a big Sens/Karlsson fan.

On another note, Edvinsson also plays for Frolunda, where Karlsson and Alfredsson are alums. I can see a bit of Karlsson's game with Edvinsson. Though, he does project differently.

Reactions: Sandisfan

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
The Sharks have laid out their cards. They'll draft Wallstedt if he's available, let him marinate another year and bring him in 2022-2023 with Bordeleau/Wiesblatt/Gushschin/Merkley. They're gonna extend Hertl. They're gonna trade Burns if able.

Kane-Hertl-Bordeleau
Meier-Couture-Gushchin
Leonard-signed player-Labanc
Donato-Chmelevski-Blichfeld
Chekhovich,

Ferraro-Karlsson
Vlasic-Merkley
Kniazev-Simek
Hatakka

Wallstedt
Korenar
Wall wont be close 2022-2023. He will need atleast 2-3 years before the NHL. Goalies have a much later development timeline. Vasilevsky drafted 2012, played first NHL game in 2014-15 and wasnt full time until 2016-2017

Reactions: Sandisfan

StanleyCup2035

Oct 1, 2017
The Sharks have laid out their cards. They'll draft Wallstedt if he's available, let him marinate another year and bring him in 2022-2023 with Bordeleau/Wiesblatt/Gushschin/Merkley. They're gonna extend Hertl. They're gonna trade Burns if able.

Kane-Hertl-Bordeleau
Meier-Couture-Gushchin
Leonard-signed player-Labanc
Donato-Chmelevski-Blichfeld
Chekhovich,

Ferraro-Karlsson
Vlasic-Merkley
Kniazev-Simek
Hatakka

Wallstedt
Korenar

This depressing group won’t win the Cup. We need to really tank next year. We need a real star or two to help these complimentary pieces. Starting to think my user name was too optimistic. Should have picked 2028, hopefully Wilson/Hasso will be long gone by then.

Reactions: tealzamboni

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007
Wall wont be close 2022-2023. He will need atleast 2-3 years before the NHL. Goalies have a much later development timeline. Vasilevsky drafted 2012, played first NHL game in 2014-15 and wasnt full time until 2016-2017

That's not a goalie . . . that's a WALL. Like Wall. ;)

Reactions: Makoshark

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
The makeup of the Sharks right-handed defense is going to be very different in two-three years. There's no guarantee that any of Karlsson, Burns, or Merkley are playing for the Sharks by then and the Sharks have no one else worth a damn (Jaros? Meloche?).

That argument can be used for our forward group as well though, seeing as we have no idea what the futures holds at any position.

The difference though is right now, and until at the very least Burns/Karlsson are traded/retire/ends his contract our right side D is pretty set, especially for offensive defenseman, whereas our forward group could really use a legit top 10 level talent in it right now. So I wondered why Jux would take the D now, instead of any of the talented forwards, and her reason is perfectly valid which is BPA and trade chip if Burns/Karlsson play well enough to block Clarke from playing.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Just wild guesses here...

1. Buffalo - Owen Power
2. Seattle - Matt Beniers
3. Anaheim - Simon Edvinsson
4. New Jersey - Luke Hughes
5. Columbus - Mason McTavish
6. Detroit - Dylan Guenther

Who are you guys taking at 7?

Under this scenario, I'd be picking Eklund because he could learn to be a solid center but has the playmaking ability the team is lacking. At worst, he's a solid top six playmaking winger. Team could still use that and move out the guys that aren't good playmakers on the wing. Basically, team needs more playmakers at every position.

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007
This has nothing to do with Eklund as a player but that ass with a website and the same name has soured me on all Eklunds forever.

On the player side, I see the rationale for Eklund's high stock, but he might be the least exciting top tier name for me.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Under this scenario, I'd be picking Eklund because he could learn to be a solid center but has the playmaking ability the team is lacking. At worst, he's a solid top six playmaking winger. Team could still use that and move out the guys that aren't good playmakers on the wing. Basically, team needs more playmakers at every position.
I feel like Clarke is BPA in that scenario but I'd love to go with Eklund there too

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I feel like Clarke is BPA in that scenario but I'd love to go with Eklund there too

I wouldn't be upset if the Sharks came to that conclusion. It's a reasonable choice in my eyes. I think I value playmaking the most moving forward until we've gotten a solid depth of it. We have some but not enough at any position.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
People not hot on Kent Johnson?

I'd pick Johnson if they got a deal where they traded back a couple spots and got like an early second to pick up someone else but it's hard to gauge where teams are at with this draft given the circumstances. To me, he's still behind guys like Eklund, Guenther, and maybe Lucius but the Sharks need a lot so I don't see a good need to trade back for later picks because it's more of a crap shoot so unless someone blows their socks off with such a deal with an extra first or early second, I wouldn't move back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad