Draft 2021 NHL Draft and Undrafted Free Agent Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
We have enough guys over the years that think they are a playmaker. I want a guy that’s selfish with offense skills to match. A guy that wants to score 40+ goals no matter what.

This team needs someone that can finish.
I agree. This is why I preferred Wahlstrom in 2018 over my favorite in that draft (Farabee). I was and still am fine with the Kravtsov pick, but I preferred the goal scorer there. Kravtsov can still be that guy but he’s going to be deferring to teammates for awhile once he comes over here.

I think our best shot at this from within the system is the unheralded Pajuniemi. Kid has a great shot and looks built for the new NHL.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
If it hasn't become apparent.... It's very hard to trade for top6 Centers. They are either not available or you will have to overpay.

We have to target centers. BPA works if people are willing to move some of their Centers. That's not happening

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
We have enough guys over the years that think they are a playmaker. I want a guy that’s selfish with offense skills to match. A guy that wants to score 40+ goals no matter what.

This team needs someone that can finish.
Don’t disagree but feel like trading Lafreniere for Stuetzle?

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
A couple seasons ago I was on here asking about Seider early, early on in the season, some guys had him pegged as a late 1st. Fast foward a bit, what a pick by Yzerman at 6 so far. Germany has been putting out some talent lately. I'll stay there, I'll buy a bunch of shares on Florian Elias, no problem. He's a center but he's not a big guy so who knows if he sticks there

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
Looks like were gonna be picking top 5 this year. Please have one of the centers fall to us

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
Is there a D-man that you would take over Beniers or any of the centers? Like if we got the #1 overall pick, would you take Beniers or a guy who you have higher rated like Luke Hughes or Owen Power?

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
If it hasn't become apparent.... It's very hard to trade for top6 Centers. They are either not available or you will have to overpay.

We have to target centers. BPA works if people are willing to move some of their Centers. That's not happening

I also think another relevant observation is that the need for us to have speed and skill at center ice increased dramatically after the DQ/TDA-gate.

We are one team with Fox on the ice and another without him. Fox has been amazing, but part of it is just that the one way to cover for lack of speed and skill at center ice is by having dynamic Ds. Nils is hopefully coming in next season, I think he will be ready from Day 1. That will help. But we are also short on it at the blueline. K'Andre started extremelly well but have slowed down a little as expected. That won't be a 1 year thing. Ds take time. 9/10 times, its not before a D becomes 25-26 y/o that they really can assume a big role and lead the way.

SRHRangers

Aug 18, 2020
I think Power is the #1 prospect in this draft and if the Rangers somehow got that, I would put it on the market to trade down.

If we're picking 2-5, I have no issues just taking Beniers wherever.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Is there a D-man that you would take over Beniers or any of the centers? Like if we got the #1 overall pick, would you take Beniers or a guy who you have higher rated like Luke Hughes or Owen Power?

At this point, it looks like Power might go No. 1. There's also Brandt Clarke that this board seems to forget about. IIRC the Rangers, at the beginning of the year, had a top 3 of Power, Clarke, and Beniers. Not sure if that is still accurate, though.

I not as high on Hughes as most are, but I could be very wrong at the end of the day. Right now, I see more a solid two-way defender than the offensive stud most note, but he just seems to rack up the points.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
have people soured that much on Raty?

Wasn't Lundell in a similar scenario? where he dropped draft year?

To me, Räty is on par with Beniers. And while his situation is similar to Lundell, the latter is IMO a better player. Lundell should have been a top-5 player in last year's draft.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
have people soured that much on Raty?

Wasn't Lundell in a similar scenario? where he dropped draft year?

Raty hasn't had a good offensive season, but that's not really his style of play. He's more like Kakko in the sense of a quick stick-handler and great possessor of the puck. He's more a versatile, set-up man, though, whereas Kakko is more a goal scorer. Not to truly compare the two, I don't think they play similarly after that comparison.

He has been keeping up the pace in Liiga after a slow start that led him to be briefly demoted to U20. We'll see if he can pick up the pace throughout the rest of the season, but he is definitely a 1st rounder still. Maybe more so in the 10-15 range now.

Reactions: Leetch3

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
I thought I was watching juniors hockey here for a moment, nope this years men's league.

Definitely buy the offensive upside here ...

C-prospects

Johnson
Eklund
Beniers
Räty

and we definitely need a top 5 pick to even start to think about drafting Eklund or Johnson imo.

Last edited:

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
I'm not that huge on Johnson. The skill is immense, but inconsistent compared to Beniers near-elite two-way play. He might need some time to really hone out the game itself before truly making an impact in the NHL.

This is where I prefer a guy like Beniers, who isn't sexy and flashy, but gets the job done. He's shown that consistency in the NCAA and WJC while other, more established prospects couldn't keep the pace he's been on.

I think for NYR (if they indeed pick in the top 5), need to seriously look at Beniers as the first center off the board.

* BENIERS HAS YET TO TAKE A PENALTY *

#NextLadyByngCandidate

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I thought I was watching juniors hockey here for a moment, nope this years men's league.

Definitely buy the offensive upside here ...

C-prospects

Johnson
Eklund
Beniers
Räty

and we definitely need a top 5 pick to even start to think about drafting Eklung or Kohnson imo.

Seems similar to Pettersson.

Would he stick at center?

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I'm not that huge on Johnson. The skill is immense, but inconsistent compared to Beniers near-elite two-way play. He might need some time to really hone out the game itself before truly making an impact in the NHL.

This is where I prefer a guy like Beniers, who isn't sexy and flashy, but gets the job done. He's shown that consistency in the NCAA and WJC while other, more established prospects couldn't keep the pace he's been on.

I think for NYR (if they indeed pick in the top 5), need to seriously look at Beniers as the first center off the board.

* BENIERS HAS YET TO TAKE A PENALTY *

#NextLadyByngCandidate
Beniers is sound like a Cirielli... I'm all about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad