Draft 2021 NHL Draft and Undrafted Free Agent Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Sasha Pastujov — Pure skill and strength from the wing. Also physical. Nasty shot. Don’t know why people knock his skating as I’ve seen him blow past defenders in H2H 50/50 foot races. Dual threat.

Samu Tuomaala — fast, hard-hitting, ridiculous hands and skill near the goal. Plays with a lot of energy and finishes his checks. Has been on Karpat U20’s top line all season. Decent size too.
As I do not believe that the Rangers will be drafting high enough to get someone like Powers, Clarke, Beniers, Guenther or Johnson, Pastujov is my realistic pick in the mid-first round. Or possibly Raty makes for a value pick as well. Like Tuomalla a lot.

If drafting in sooner than that, I would have no problems drafting Wallstedt.

apoptygma

2-5-9-11
Apr 9, 2011
According to Tankathon NYR have the 6. pick at the moment. If they still are in the 6-10 range when the draft is and their top C targets are already gone, what does you guys envision NYR management do? Go for BPA in a position we already have depth, trade down or try to get a good C prospect from say LAK for the pick?

BPA is never "wrong" (unless they have the wrong player as BPA), trading down is more for teams restacking a cupboard, and may not be any avaible C prospects around the league.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
According to Tankathon NYR have the 6. pick at the moment. If they still are in the 6-10 range when the draft is and their top C targets are already gone, what does you guys envision NYR management do? Go for BPA in a position we already have depth, trade down or try to get a good C prospect from say LAK for the pick?

BPA is never "wrong" (unless they have the wrong player as BPA), trading down is more for teams restacking a cupboard, and may not be any avaible C prospects around the league.

Rangers are going Power after they win the lottery again.

Reactions: B17 Apricots

JayAB81

Oct 18, 2020
As I do not believe that the Rangers will be drafting high enough to get someone like Powers, Clarke, Beniers, Guenther or Johnson, Pastujov is my realistic pick in the mid-first round. Or possibly Raty makes for a value pick as well. Like Tuomalla a lot.

If drafting in sooner than that, I would have no problems drafting Wallstedt.
Could Raty move from Winger to Center? I don't know much about draft prospects.

JayAB81

Oct 18, 2020
I do not like to bet on anyone moving from position to position.
I'm actually now confused, one site, thehockeywriters.com has Raty listed as a C, but I thought he was more of a LW. I'm so confused on what's the best draft site to use, any recommendations, cause I can't find one. Thanks in advance.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Yeah I'd definitely consider a trade to move up for Beniers depending on where we are and where his stock is come draft time. Obviously if we are at like 10 and he's first overall that's not happening.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Yeah I'd definitely consider a trade to move up for Beniers depending on where we are and where his stock is come draft time. Obviously if we are at like 10 and he's first overall that's not happening.
If the Rangers are at 10 and he is at 5, it is probably not happening either.

Plus there is a debate to be had whether or not Beniers is a true top line center in the NHL and/or for how long you may need for him to become one. I think believing that he makes such a leap 2-3 years after this year is a bit of a reach.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

Plus there is a debate to be had whether or not Beniers is a true top line center in the NHL and/or for how long you may need for him to become one. I think believing that he makes such a leap 2-3 years after this year is a bit of a reach.
I don’t think you penalize Beniers for not being a sure thing 1C. There isn’t a sure fire 1C in this draft. Beniers though has the best chance at being a 2C that can play up if necessary. He’s my top player in the draft.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I don’t think you penalize Beniers for not being a sure thing 1C. There isn’t a sure fire 1C in this draft. Beniers though has the best chance at being a 2C that can play up if necessary. He’s my top player in the draft.
There is no doubt he has the potential, but going to be honest that I feel that Power, Clarke and Wallstedt wind up being better players.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
There is no doubt he has the potential, but going to be honest that I feel that Power, Clarke and Wallstedt wind up being better players.
Wallstedt might but taking another goalie...yikes. Would need the board to fall a certain way

AIexisLafreniereNYR

Registered Drug User
Jan 25, 2009
New York City

Rangers will not be 10, we’ll be around 1-5 worst teams easily

Reactions: TheBloodyNine

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
You do everything you can to get Beniers. If we land in the top 5, which is certainly very possible, you grab him. If for some reason he is taken, you take Kent Johnson.

Reactions: LeetchisGod

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Wallstedt might but taking another goalie...yikes. Would need the board to fall a certain way
Drafting around 10, no problem in taking Wallstedt. That sets up the franchise for success for next 10-15 years, between the defense and goal.

Drafting around 15 or so? Pastujov, Raty or Tuomalla would make fine picks.

Make no mistake about this, on talent alone, Wallstedt could be #1 overall. If I had to bet on which prospect in this draft is going to reach the "elite" level, I would bet every penny on him.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
You do everything you can to get Beniers. If we land in the top 5, which is certainly very possible, you grab him. If for some reason he is taken, you take Kent Johnson.
You are only landing them if they are top-5. And there is no trading to get there for the Rangers. Even if you were to believe that Gorton would trade more established assets for futures, the teams that will be drafting there are probably looking to acquire more prospects as opposed to more contracts.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Drafting around 10, no problem in taking Wallstedt. That sets up the franchise for success for next 10-15 years, between the defense and goal.

Drafting around 15 or so? Pastujov, Raty or Tuomalla would make fine picks.

Make no mistake about this, on talent alone, Wallstedt could be #1 overall. If I had to bet on which prospect in this draft is going to reach the "elite" level, I would bet every penny on him.
I definitely think Wallstedt is better than Askarov

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad