NFL: 2021 NFL off-season news & notes discussion thread

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I can kinda see it. With Bieniemy there's the question of how much of it is his scheme or the juggernaut of a personnel group he has to work with? And then there's his not too pleasant past as well.

Wouldn't be surprised if Houston just hands him the job out of panic of Watson really wanting out
It’s supposedly not a given Bieniemy wants the Houston job, which kind of makes that weird if that’s what Watson wants.

Reactions: Voight

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
It’s supposedly not a given Bieniemy wants the Houston job, which kind of makes that weird if that’s what Watson wants.
Theoretically, someone like Bieniemy shouldn't have any contact with a guy like Watson, but we all know the best way to bypass tampering rules is to let agents talk to each other. Unless Bieniemy has assurance from Watson he's all in if Bieniemy takes the job, then Bieniemy shouldn't consider Houston. The only real reason to take an interview with the Texans without that assurance is to help drive up the asking price from a team in a better situation. Although, the list of openings with better situations is dwindling.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Theoretically, someone like Bieniemy shouldn't have any contact with a guy like Watson, but we all know the best way to bypass tampering rules is to let agents talk to each other. Unless Bieniemy has assurance from Watson he's all in if Bieniemy takes the job, then Bieniemy shouldn't consider Houston. The only real reason to take an interview with the Texans without that assurance is to help drive up the asking price from a team in a better situation. Although, the list of openings with better situations is dwindling.
I don’t know his name but supposedly like one dude is the agent of every coach. At least it was a few years ago. That’s how they communicate so well.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I think Brees goes one more year, retires. Then Payton splits and takes over the Dallas job.

I just feel like Drew would want to play in front of the NOLA fans / a full house a few more times (8 in this case) before he calls it quits. He's done so much for that city I'd like for him to get a proper goodbye.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I think Brees goes one more year, retires. Then Payton splits and takes over the Dallas job.

I just feel like Drew would want to play in front of the NOLA fans / a full house a few more times (8 in this case) before he calls it quits. He's done so much for that city I'd like for him to get a proper goodbye.
He’ll get it the night they retire his number. He’s completely finished.

Seems strange to brew up QB questions now when there's likely no way to change who their QB is next season.
If you read closely to reporting this past week, it seemed like Wolford was who he was going with if he could.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I have no idea how the Saints are going to manage this off-season.

Playing around on Spotrac, just to get them to 50K under the cap, I had restructure every contract possible, and had to cut players down to a 29 player roster lol.

I legitimately have no clue, how outside of purging the entire roster, how the Saints will manage to become cap compliant.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I have no idea how the Saints are going to manage this off-season.

Playing around on Spotrac, just to get them to 50K under the cap, I had restructure every contract possible, and had to cut players down to a 29 player roster lol.

I legitimately have no clue, how outside of purging the entire roster, how the Saints will manage to become cap compliant.
If Brees does retire that means they finally have to eat the dead money from all of the times they restructured his contract. Bill is coming due.

it’s something like $16 mill in dead money right?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
If Brees does retire that means they finally have to eat the dead money from all of the times they restructured his contract. Bill is coming due.

it’s something like $16 mill in dead money right?

Around there.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Every year the Saints are in a terrible cap situation and every year they never purge the roster. If guys gotta go, the time is now to do it.

But this is something I’ve heard literally every year about the Saints and by the start of the season people opine as to whether or not Mickey Loomis is an actual wizard. It’s what he does. But if he doesn’t, it was all about right now anyways, this was always the end point, and it wouldn’t matter as much if they finished the job.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Every year the Saints are in a terrible cap situation and every year they never purge the roster. If guys gotta go, the time is now to do it.

But this is something I’ve heard literally every year about the Saints and by the start of the season people opine as to whether or not Mickey Loomis is an actual wizard. It’s what he does. But if he doesn’t, it was all about right now anyways, this was always the end point, and it wouldn’t matter as much if they finished the job.
They manage to keep pushing it down the line. Give them credit for doing it all these years.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
I didn’t like when the Saints paid Andrus Peat. He just isn’t worth the money they paid him and he seems to be always injured.

They overpaid Taysom Hill. He’s a gadget player and not a future QB for them.

You can only kick the can so many times down the road before it’s time to pay up.

Guys like Brown, Alexander, Jenoris Jenkins, Sanders, maybe Terron Armstead will likely not be back next year.

I hope they can find a way to retain Trey Hendrickson but, please do not keep Anzalone, he’s pretty brutal.

New Orleans Saints salary cap situation heading into 2021 | PFN

Last edited:

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Seahawks speaking with Adam Gase.. Pete Carroll really hates Russell Wilson doesn't he?

Imagine Gase reuniting with Adams? :laugh:

giphy.gif

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
saints have -99 million in cap space (if cap comes out at 176 mil). that's with 45 players. brees retiring and cutting/trading ramczyk, kwon, jenkins, armstead, brown and easton gets them to around -35 million.

yeah there will be a big purge and probably they have to make some restructures to push some dead money for future years.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
saints have -99 million in cap space (if cap comes out at 176 mil). that's with 45 players. brees retiring and cutting/trading ramczyk, kwon, jenkins, armstead, brown and easton gets them to around -35 million.

yeah there will be a big purge and probably they have to make some restructures to push some dead money for future years.

They would be foolish to let Ram go. He’s a stud on their O-line. I don’t think he’s going anywhere. If they rework the line, it’s more likely Armstead, Easton and Peat are let go/traded or restructured.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
They would be foolish to let Ram go. He’s a stud on their O-line. I don’t think he’s going anywhere. If they rework the line, it’s more likely Armstead, Easton and Peat are let go/traded or restructured.

extension is another option and probably the best option for ramczyk. they could still save around 10 mil for next season if it's heavy in signing bonuses and low on base salary, aka the saints way of doing contracts.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Saints are about to lose 2 good position coaches in Ryan Neilsen (Dline) and Dan Campbell (TE). Neilsen especially did a great job with their front four the last few seasons. Sorry to see him go.

Fontenot seems to be on his was to Atlanta to be their GM. Not too upset by the loss as the Saints will be compensated with compensatory 3rd round picks. Also, Fontenot was more of the one who worked on securing free agents for the Saints. His record is mediocre.

Hopefully the Saints promote and tie up Jeff Ireland long term. He’s the real gem and dies great work with the draft. Can’t let him get out the door.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad