2021 NCAA, CHL, OHL and European prospects thread - part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Should also be noted that Benjamin Baumgartner's season ended yesterday. His contract is up. I have to think there's some interest in bringing him over, if for no other reason than to get him some reps with Binghamton (and potentially bolster their center depth if they want him playing in that position).
You think he's ready for the AHL already?

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ

Which of our prospects were ultimately affected by this?

I know Daws went overseas where he's only played 9 games, so he likely missed a good chunk of playing time that he would've gotten in the OHL.

Pytlik doesn't look like he's played a game yet this season outside 1 game at the WJC's where he got injured - any update on his status?

Okhotyuk, Clarke, & Vukojevic were all able to play in the AHL this season, with Clarke also getting some overseas experience.

Any others I'm missing?

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Which of our prospects were ultimately affected by this?

I know Daws went overseas where he's only played 9 games, so he likely missed a good chunk of playing time that he would've gotten in the OHL.

Pytlik doesn't look like he's played a game yet this season outside 1 game at the WJC's where he got injured - any update on his status?

Okhotyuk, Clarke, & Vukojevic were all able to play in the AHL this season, with Clarke also getting some overseas experience.

Any others I'm missing?

What the cancellation of the OHL season creates, more than anything, is a complete crap-shoot when it comes to drafting in 2021.

For reference, let's say the 2019-20 OHL season was called off for whatever reason. Jack Quinn -- selected #8 overall -- earned his top 10 selection with a meteoric rise during his draft-eligible season. What if he had not played? He would likely be a 3rd round pick. There are certainly players this year who would have excelled in increased roles for their OHL squads who we know very little about right now.

It works the opposite way, as well. Jean-Luc Foudy was a consensus top 15 pick entering the 2020 draft season, but dropped to the third round. Now, personally, I felt he dropped unfairly. But my point remains that certain OHL players will have rankings all over the f---ing place.

Francesco Pinelli is the player I would highlight as a possible top 10 overall talent who did not get the opportunity to work his way into superior draft position. This kid's skill set and intelligence are stratospheric, but he missed half the year and then found himself in the little-known AlpsHL. Now people have him ranked in the second round, because of a lack of familiarity with his game. If Pinelli went in the #30-#45 range -- which is entirely possible -- well, I don't know what the word for it would be. Maybe "insane". This is a potential star center at the NHL level.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I wonder is Amirov’s signing will have any bearing on Shaq coming over earlier

Amirov signed, but he is not coming over next year - he is staying in Ufa. I would like for the Devils to sign Shakir similarly but do not know his contract status.

EDIT: Amirov is coming to Toronto now, but the idea is for him to play in Russia next season.

Reactions: Guadana

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Zaitsev's really unlikely to ever come over at this point. The time to bring him over would've been next year - he's an RHD, the organization is desperate for RHDs.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Can KHL contracts have out clauses for the NHL?

I don't see why they couldn't - the KHL doesn't have a collective bargaining agreement so presumably a contract can contain just about anything - but I also do not see why they would.

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ
Zaitsev's really unlikely to ever come over at this point. The time to bring him over would've been next year - he's an RHD, the organization is desperate for RHDs.
I don't see why that's the case, lots of KHL players come over between 25-28.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad