2021 NCAA, CHL, OHL and European prospects thread - part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Schmid shutout.

It might be tempting to sign him and play him in Bingo next season but i think he’d be best served starting out in the ECHL. Going from the USHL to the AHL is a big jump and Schmid has rallied over the course of the season but I’d ease him into the pro ranks.

Reactions: Guadana and Nubmer6

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Craig Button released his Top 75 Drafted Prospects list today:

#11 Alexander Holtz
#38 Shakir Mukhamadullin
#49 Nolan Foote
#52 Dawson Mercer

Interesting to see where an outsider ranks our prospects. Can't say I agree with Shak being that high, though I'm happy to see it, and IMO Mercer is way too low.
How this list works? Brannstrom is a prospect, but there are no Ty Smith. Are they non active nhl roster player?

Reactions: Guttersniped

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
How this list works? Brannstrom is a prospect, but there are no Ty Smith. Are they non active nhl roster player?

Yeah it appears that anybody who was playing right now on an NHL roster wasn't eligible. So a consensus top prospects like Zegras/Drysdale are absent. Button's rankings always seem to be a little too reactionary to the WJC.

A couple years ago, he had Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen as the 13th best prospect after he backstopped Finland to a WJC gold. Luukkonen was solid in the tournament, but at no point did I think he was an upper echelon prospect. Meanwhile Jake Oettinger was two weeks too old for the WJC that year but he was quietly having a solid .924% season in college. Oettinger was nowhere to be found on Button's list (similarly The Hockey News Future Watch issue had Oettinger much lower than Luukkonen).

Similarly Button had Tyler Parsons as the 12th best prospect after he won gold with Team USA in 2016. Putting on my armchair scout jacket, I remembered thinking Parsons reminded me a lot of Eric Comrie who I liked but wasn't necessarily a premium guy.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Craig Button released his Top 75 Drafted Prospects list today:

#11 Alexander Holtz
#38 Shakir Mukhamadullin
#49 Nolan Foote
#52 Dawson Mercer

Interesting to see where an outsider ranks our prospects. Can't say I agree with Shak being that high, though I'm happy to see it, and IMO Mercer is way too low.

Drysdale isn't even on the list, hard to know what to even make of this. Broberg at 8??

edit: ahh, okay, just saw @Brodeur post above. That would explain Drysdale.

I hope he's right about Shak, that's for sure.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Yeah it appears that anybody who was playing right now on an NHL roster wasn't eligible. So a consensus top prospects like Zegras/Drysdale are absent. Button's rankings always seem to be a little too reactionary to the WJC.

A couple years ago, he had Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen as the 13th best prospect after he backstopped Finland to a WJC gold. Luukkonen was solid in the tournament, but at no point did I think he was an upper echelon prospect. Meanwhile Jake Oettinger was two weeks too old for the WJC that year but he was quietly having a solid .924% season in college. Oettinger was nowhere to be found on Button's list (similarly The Hockey News Future Watch issue had Oettinger much lower than Luukkonen).

Similarly Button had Tyler Parsons as the 12th best prospect after he won gold with Team USA in 2016. Putting on my armchair scout jacket, I remembered thinking Parsons reminded me a lot of Eric Comrie who I liked but wasn't necessarily a premium guy.

I think it`s all about clickbait. I like to not see Schneider there, but Rossi on 31th place? He didn`t even play this year, he wasn`t good on WJC. Peterka was really good on WJC, and what i read about his game in DEL he is very good. I like the prospect potential selection lists much better - the clubs ' needs are clear, they have a history of preferences. But such ratings - their compilers are doomed to failure.

Reactions: Nubmer6

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I appreciate Button for providing some free prospect coverage, but having an "accurate" prospect ranking is a job too big for one guy. It's human nature to put too much stock into a handful of WJC games since the tournament gives an illusion that everybody's on an equal playing field.

And then in general I think us as fans get a little too hung up on whether a guy is ranked #25 or #45. There might be more perceived separation than there is in Button's mind.

Reactions: Guadana

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I appreciate Button for providing some free prospect coverage, but having an "accurate" prospect ranking is a job too big for one guy. It's human nature to put too much stock into a handful of WJC games since the tournament gives an illusion that everybody's on an equal playing field.

And then in general I think us as fans get a little too hung up on whether a guy is ranked #25 or #45. There might be more perceived separation than there is in Button's mind.
Yeah. I would rank Mercer over Hendrix easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad