2021 NCAA, CHL, OHL and European prospects thread - part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Zaitsev's really unlikely to ever come over at this point. The time to bring him over would've been next year - he's an RHD, the organization is desperate for RHDs.
I don't think this is the case. Would I be shocked if he never came? No, not particularly but lots of KHL draftees come over in their mid twenties.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I don't see why that's the case, lots of KHL players come over between 25-28.

Name 5 of them. Gusev is one. You're going to struggle with the rest - Gavrikov and Kalinin were 24. Lehtonen is 26 but is not a 'KHL player' - he was playing in the KHL but he had played the majority of his career in SM-Liiga/SEL.

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ
Artyom Zub this year at 25. Panarin was 24 so basically the same. Ilya Mikheyev was 25 when he joined the Leafs. Mikko Lehtonen was 25, he's Finish but played in the KHL so if you don't want to count that fair is fair. Zaiszev was 24. So in a sense you are right, but I don't see a difference in a 24 and 25 year old really.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Zub, Panarin, Mikheev, Gusev, Kalinin.
Antipin, Emelin, Gavrikov, Lyybushkin, Nikitin, Prokhorkin, Yelesin, Zaitsev Nikita. Guys who are fresh or has some name. I believe there were another not so loud examples.
Anyway I don’t have confidence he will travel through the ocean. I didn’t hear anything from our management group about him. There were no articles written about him in the context of his potential travel ride to NHL.
Which is a bit of a shame, because he is a tough player with a good starting speed, plays well in puck battles and board battles. His approach to the game may work better on small rinks. He has problems with the first pass, but we have a lot of candidates from left d-men to manage or start attacks.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Artyom Zub this year at 25. Panarin was 24 so basically the same. Ilya Mikheyev was 25 when he joined the Leafs. Mikko Lehtonen was 25, he's Finish but played in the KHL so if you don't want to count that fair is fair. Zaiszev was 24. So in a sense you are right, but I don't see a difference in a 24 and 25 year old really.
Vadislav Gavrikov is actually to the closest comparison I can come up with because he’s a defensive defenseman drafted in a later round by another team that has a thing for Russians as well, Columbus. They drafted him in 6th round in 2015, at 159th, and they let him marinate in the KHL until they signed him in April of 2019. They burned the first year of the deal just to get him here, his rookie NHL season was 2019-20 at age 24. Gavrikov’s size gives him a dimension Zaitsev doesn’t have, he’s 6’3” 214lb vs 6’0” 192lbs but other than that their paths were and could be very similar.

Older European pro players sign 2 year ELCs that only require them to report to the AHL in their 1st year. (That’s probably partly why they burned the 1st year of Gavrikov’s deal, he wasn’t going to go to the AHL.) That’s why Zaitsev staying in the KHL is understandable, he really needs to turn into a elite shutdown guy in the KHL and put up a few more points as well for it to be worth it to him to come over and make the NHL quickly. That’s what Gavrikov did.

Defensive skill is the hardest to master (and the last to fall victim to the age curve) so late starts to Russian defensemen aren’t that strange, particularly since the Russian programs as whole couldn’t develop offensive defensemen if you put a gun to their heads. Seemingly every Russian player who can do that sort of thing came to NA as junior player. (Muk is a converted forward and is seen as an odd anomaly.) Shutdown defensemen are the KHL’s bread and butter though, let them do their thing. Like Misyul, it would be nice to have him a year earlier but I get why these guys want to establish themselves in the KHL first.

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ
Vadislav Gavrikov is actually to the closest comparison I can come up with because he’s a defensive defenseman drafted in a later round by another team that has a thing for Russians as well, Columbus. They drafted him in 6th round in 2015, at 159th, and they let him marinate in the KHL until they signed him in April of 2019. They burned the first year of the deal just to get him here, his rookie NHL season was 2019-20 at age 24. Gavrikov’s size gives him a dimension Zaitsev doesn’t have, he’s 6’3” 214lb vs 6’0” 192lbs but other than that their paths were and could be very similar.

Older European pro players sign 2 year ELCs that only require them to report to the AHL in their 1st year. (That’s probably partly why they burned the 1st year of Gavrikov’s deal, he wasn’t going to go to the AHL.) That’s why Zaitsev staying in the KHL is understandable, he really needs to turn into a elite shutdown guy in the KHL and put up a few more points as well for it to be worth it to him to come over and make the NHL quickly. That’s what Gavrikov did.

Defensive skill is the hardest to master (and the last to fall victim to the age curve) so late starts to Russian defensemen aren’t that strange, particularly since the Russian programs as whole couldn’t develop offensive defensemen if you put a gun to their heads. Seemingly every Russian player who can do that sort of thing came to NA as junior player. (Muk is a converted forward and is seen as an odd anomaly.) Shutdown defensemen are the KHL’s bread and butter though, let them do their thing. Like Misyul, it would be nice to have him a year earlier but I get why these guys want to establish themselves in the KHL first.
From what I have read and seen though it looks like he has done a fantastic job for Dynamo, wouldn't be surprised at all if he is ready next year but finishes his contract. At the same time I think the only thing that keeps him from coming over is a massive pay day or not seeing a path to a starting job.

Reactions: Guadana

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
From what I have read and seen though it looks like he has done a fantastic job for Dynamo, wouldn't be surprised at all if he is ready next year but finishes his contract. At the same time I think the only thing that keeps him from coming over is a massive pay day or not seeing a path to a starting job.
It’s all about making the team, these guys don’t want to derail their KHL careers to play in AHL. They aren’t top scorers who can come back and instantly be stars on their old teams again, I don’t want to make it sound like I’m accusing them of being greedy or something silly like that.

Gravrikov got 3 year/2.8m deal after his 1 year ELC was over. He’s huge though and his size is a selling point, Zaitlev isn’t likely a guy looking at big money.

The KHL has players ice times, Gravrikov was led his team in ice time by his last year and he was increasing his production each season. Zaitlev is player on the rise, his ice time is going up but he’s not averaging +20 minutes yet. And his offensive production actually dipped this year and was pretty bad, he went from averaging .24 points per game to .16. 1G and 8A in 58 games is a bit rough. He needs to improve that and average +20 minutes, maybe that happens next season.

Stats : Players stats : 20/21 | regular : Kontinental Hockey League (KHL)

Reactions: TheDuke93

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ
It’s all about making the team, these guys don’t want to derail their KHL careers to play in AHL. They aren’t top scorers who can come back and instantly be stars on their old teams again, I don’t want to make it sound like I’m accusing them of being greedy or something silly like that.

Gravrikov got 3 year/2.8m deal after his 1 year ELC was over. He’s huge though and his size is a selling point, Zaitlev isn’t likely a guy looking at big money.

The KHL has players ice times, Gravrikov was led his team in ice time by his last year and he was increasing his production each season. Zaitlev is player on the rise, his ice time is going up but he’s not averaging +20 minutes yet. And his offensive production actually dipped this year and was pretty bad, he went from averaging .24 points per game to .16. 1G and 8A in 58 games is a bit rough. He needs to improve that and average +20 minutes, maybe that happens next season.

Stats : Players stats : 20/21 | regular : Kontinental Hockey League (KHL)
That is more or less what I meant by not seeing a path to the NHL. The money thing was more so if he isn't 100% set on playing in the NHL I am sure he would just stay in Russia because with escrow and all that the money difference is actually massive.

Reactions: Guttersniped

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Schmid stopped 34 of 35.

Sioux City finishes third in the Western division.

Omaha Lancers best of three first round.

Apparently Schmid was coming off surgery in the offseason. That would explain his slow start. He would seem to deserve a pro contract for next season.

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ
Absolutely agree. We have a lot of LW for near future.

I think so. I think we can get a ready-made player for the top 9 in a few years.
He attacks the center of the ice and forechecks hard, at this point I would actually be shocked if he doesn't become an NHLer at some point.

Reactions: Guadana
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad