HF Habs: 2021 Montreal Canadiens Training Camp (Roster & Schedule - Camp Starts January 3rd)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
About 2 because hell play on the second wave in the wrong spot.

We will see here very soon. He had one Power play goal in 10 playoff games. I don't think Julien has this locked in place like you think he does. Hopefully 5-10 pts from that 35 pts in 56 games is where he ends up at. It's up to KK to produce in the opportunities he gets and you better bet Julien is going to monitor it.

35 pts in 56 games with 2 PP points? And playing 3rd line with about 15 min a game? Huh? :huh:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
We will see here very soon. He had one Power play goal in 10 playoff games. I don't think Julien has this locked in place like you think he does. Hopefully 5-10 pts from that 35 pts in 56 games is where he ends up at. It's up to KK to produce in the opportunities he gets and you better bet Julien is going to monitor it.

35 pts in 56 games with 2 PP points? And playing 3rd line with about 15 min a game? Huh? :huh:

giphy.gif

He had 5 PP points in his rookie year while producing 35 points, he produced at a .65 pace for 30-ish games in his rookie season before he hit the fatigue wall called Nate Thompson the good, safe vet.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He had 5 PP points in his rookie year while producing 35 points, he produced at a .65 pace for 30-ish games in his rookie season before he hit the fatigue wall called Nate Thompson the good, safe vet.

I'm confused now, I thought that 3rd line center usage can't sustain a 0.65 pts/game with limited PP usage and production?

giphy.gif

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Of course. I would be Prime Minister but they just gave the job to the old guys son.

Good for you son
I'm confused now, I thought that 3rd line center usage can't sustain a 0.65 pts/game with limited PP usage and production?

giphy.gif

Ive never said that, in fact, KK has done it in the past, and so did Eller, and so did plenty of players.

You know whats pathetic ? Producing that on first lane usage and with top 6 forwards.

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
Getting a job in hockey isn't hard if you are willing to do the grunt work first. Start by reffing, coach kids leagues etc. Get your name around the arena, work the games and eventually the jobs come.

Just ask a pewee aa coach if they need any help and eventually you can network your way higher and higher. Tons of people in hockey who never played or were part of the old boys club. Obviously it helps, and that sucks, but it isn't impossible. Even Grant Mcagg got a job in hockey.

Reactions: McTusk

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Getting a job in hockey isn't hard if you are willing to do the grunt work first. Start by reffing, coach kids leagues etc. Get your name around the arena, work the games and eventually the jobs come.

If I wanted that I wouldve done that, it doesn't mean I can't be knowledgeable and that Juliens word supercedes mine because he's a coach that can't even get to .500 in the NHL.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
I think Ti-Paul is fairly paid. Not overpaid, not underpaid...3,5m for a 35-40 points 20 goals players is a fair deal.

Since day 1 he had his detractors here. From comments like he’s too small/soft to his 20 goals is a fluke. He just kept proving people wrong year after year and now that he finally has a bad stretch these same people are jumping on him to vindicate their prediction of a few years ago.

It’s unfortunate that some fans feel this way about Ti-Paul since he’s been a valuable player for us over the years and I’m sure he will keep contributing this year.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
I've never bought into the idea that Byron isn't part of this teams plans this year.

He's versatile, low maintenance and the coaching staff loves him.

If he can stay healthy, and that's important granted, he's going to be a useful player for this team.

Well.

"If someone got injured" sounds like taxi squad to me. We'll see if Engels' conclusion is correct.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
It was a joke but its close to the reality, if you want an exclusive, no, KK wont play at the end of games.

Expect 35 pts again this year from KK.

I think this is an accurate projection. Hard to do much more as a #3C, even if he'll have a bit more firepower on his wing this year. I don't see him getting top PP minutes, so what is the realistic best case scenario for a 20 year old, 3rd line C, who gets time on the second PP unit? I'm hoping for a bit more production, but I don't see him getting more points than low-40's at best.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
So season is from mid January to mid May, so so let's say about 120 days (actual number doesn't matter much) 750k/120 is 6.25k per day. Thus to save (somewhere between 40 - 45k) its 7-8days.
I think they'll send someone else down in-between games to accelerate the process.

How does having Byron in the lineup over Evan's save cap space?

Sending Byron down gets us back about 1.05M in cap space, while Evsns on gets us back 700k.

We're talking about different things.

Byron is on a one-way deal, he makes the same salary in the NHL or AHL his cap hit doesn't change.

Evans is on a two-way, he makes an AHL salary when he's down, his cap hit in the NHL changes depending on how many days he's with the big Club.

That's where they are going to slowly accumulate cap space during the season to eventually be able to have a full 23 players active roster under the cap.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I think they'll send someone else down in-between games to accelerate the process.

We're talking about different things.

Byron is on a one-way deal, he makes the same salary in the NHL or AHL his cap hit doesn't change.

Evans is on a two-way, he makes an AHL salary when he's down, his cap hit in the NHL changes depending on how many days he's with the big Club.

That's where they are going to slowly accumulate cap space during the season to eventually be able to have a full 23 players active roster under the cap.

The first 1.075M of any one way contract doesn't count against the cap when a player with a one way contract is sent down. So if Byron were sent down, he'd count 1 075M less against the cap, i.e. his cap hit would be 2.325M. If Evan's were sent down, his cap hit would be 0, thus saving 700k against the cap.

Last edited:

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
You don't see me trying to explain advanced economics or quantum physics here, its hockey. The majority are stupid and or uneducated, the hockey world is a good example of that, its not easy to shine through in this field.

Coaching definitely is an area where everyone thinks they can do it, few can do it well. Even though I played hockey competitively for years, I'm not qualified to be a coach. I have a better understanding of what happens and what works than most people for sure, I've had my good share of good coaches and bad coaches, that doesn't mean that I understand how to run a team as well as a good NHL coach.

CJ has gotten the Habs to be respectable with below average talent especially down the middle. The team got a lot better but he started with not working with a lot. When I see people claim they know better than him, they better have quite solid logic behind their arguments. I feel this is one of these examples where it just doesn't add up, the arguments I'm hearing for why you could make better decisions than him are falling flat to me, they make a lot less sense to others than you feel they do.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
The first 1.05M of any one way contract doesn't count against the cap when a player with a one way contract is sent down. So if Byron were sent down, he'd count 1 05M less against the cap, i.e. his cap hit would be 2.35M. If Evan's were sent down, his cap hit would be 0, thus saving 700k against the cap.
They're not waiving Byron man...You didn't hear Julien today?

They will try to keep everybody around by joggling with those paper moves.

Reactions: 417 and Vachon23
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad