Golf: 2021 Masters Tournament - April 8-11

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Note: The discussion pertaining to the Masters can be conducted here and secondarily in the golf sticky.

The venue is Augusta National Golf Club in Augusta, Georgia. The defending champion is Dustin Johnson.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Running down the contenders list.

Dustin: Bad form, but he plays this tournament well. He could very well win it again, but I'd guess he finds some form and finishes high and isn't a real contender this week.

JT: Just about nothing you could critique right now. Trending well at Augusta, form is great. Should be one of the main contenders this week.

Rahm: He's due at majors, and plays this major better than the other ones. But how is his form coming off the birth of his son on Saturday? If it's in shape to win a golf tournament, he could contend.

Bryson: You'd think he should be a contender, and I think he'll do better this time around with the added distance than he did in the Fall, but I also don't think he'll contend this week. His problem at this tournament is putting. Bryson's highly technical, and no greens books hurts him more than most.

Koepka: I doubt he makes the cut. Admirable he's trying to play a few weeks off knee surgery, but he's trying to play a major a few weeks after knee surgery.

Rory: Form is pretty bad right now, but it's only a few events, and his floor for the past year has been so high. Do you overreact to a few weak events in a row? Otherwise, you'd think this may be the week he completes the career grand slam. Pressure is on others, high floor at Augusta, and high floor the past year.

Jordan: The only question would be does he have the mental energy to go back to back off of a big win. If he can mentally dial it in, you'd put him right at the front of the line with JT as the favorites.

Others: A few others I think could contend. Great iron players play Augusta great, so Morikawa could be a factor, and I have to think he'll eventually win this tournament. I also wouldn't overlook Fleetwood for the same regard, but I doubt his first win in the US is coming at the Masters. Everyone will want to overlook Reed, but I wouldn't do so. He's won here already and has the game to play well at this course consistently. Cantlay has had some crazy rounds this year, but hasn't put it all together yet. This may be the week he does. Hideki, this is a mere guess with not much to back it up other than that he plays this tournament really well, but I think he'll contend.

nickp91

Jun 29, 2011
Some new features in the Masters app including the ability to pick your fantasy golf team

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Sprinkled some bets for fun lol:

$10 on Morikawa at 31-1
$15 on Reed at 34-1
$5 on Fitzpatrick at 51-1
$15 on Shauffele at 23-1
$10 on Rahm at 13-1
$10 on Cam Smith at 36-1
$5 on Homa at 91-1
$5 on Fleetwood at 51-1

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Kudos to the woke membership at Augusta for inviting Lee Elder to the ceremonial tee off.

The poor guy is using a cane and an oxygen tank.

I'm surprised they didn't wait until he was on a ventilator.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Spieth was doing well at -1 until he hits his tee shot into the trees on 9 , hits a tree coming out and ends up 3 putting from 6 feet for a triple boogie. Ouch!

Hall of Faber

Nov 16, 2012
Thorndale, PA
I was watching through ESPN+ on a Roku Stick+ and my tv said 2160p. Was I watching in 4k? Because it looked great. Didnt think when I cut the cord last week, I would be getting a better picture.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
The greens looked... not healthy today. Not sure what was up with that. Very un-Augusta like.

Still a great day of golf though.

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
Since Bryson said this course was a par 67 for him, he's been +27 at Augusta if it really was a par 67 lol

I respect Bryson and his uniqueness, but yeah that was one of the dumbest things I've ever heard :laugh::laugh:

Reactions: Dakota Sioux

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Spieth was doing well at -1 until he hits his tee shot into the trees on 9 , hits a tree coming out and ends up 3 putting from 6 feet for a triple boogie. Ouch!

Still shot -1 with absolutely nothing today. Cant really complain about the round. He needs to track down Team Rose tomorrow though.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Still shot -1 with absolutely nothing today. Cant really complain about the round. He needs to track down Team Rose tomorrow though.
He shot -1 by making two bombs on the greens and a miraculous chip in on 15 for eagle. Just as easily could have been 2 over. Friday will be interesting.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Since Bryson said this course was a par 67 for him, he's been +27 at Augusta if it really was a par 67 lol

I respect Bryson and his uniqueness, but yeah that was one of the dumbest things I've ever heard :laugh::laugh:
I think Bryson wants to win here too much and it shows in his play. He looks nervous not confident nor methodical.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Rose has today what I remember Nicklaus saying recently is the worst possible alignment on tee times you can have on a Friday when you're leading. He said its always good to finish late Thursday and go early Friday when you're leading with one exception. That is if most of the guys chasing you are all going off much later, and thats what Rose had today with 6-7 guys at -2 or -1 going off at 12-2pm

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He shot -1 by making two bombs on the greens and a miraculous chip in on 15 for eagle. Just as easily could have been 2 over. Friday will be interesting.

That’s not really fair. He missed three putts inside about five feet, and hit about four approach shots that missed the right side of the ridge where the hole is cut by a yard or less. It was a weird round. Had extremes on both ends, some bad luck and some good luck. Ended up being a good score. And FYI, led GIR by two greens (hit 16 of them). But yes, round 2 is a new round. Let’s see how it goes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad