Golf: 2021 Masters Tournament - April 8-11

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
SW Kim smashed his putter head and luckily he was on 15 cause it'd be a long day if he did that 10 holes earlier.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Over 1/3 (7) of the top 20 in the WGR missed the cut.

I feel for Brooks. He’s only like 30 years old, and he’s shortening his career because of how poorly he takes care of his body. He absolutely should not have played this week. He was struggling to walk the course. Missed the cut. Never looked close to making it. Does he have anyone to tell him no or will his body break down even earlier than Tiger’s has?

Reactions: Dakota Sioux

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
It’ll be an upset if Thomas or Spieth don’t win looking at that leaderboard, and the form and pedigree of those two.

Odds are one of Rose Spieth Thomas Matsuyama Schauffele Morikawa or Bryson wins it. I tend to not give any credit to kids or vets who’ve never won til they show me they can do it. Finau I just feel has a plus 4 day either today or tomorrow which will sink him. He just tends to be unable to put together 3-4 good rounds. Leishman would be the Sergio type story if he pulled it off finally. Palmer is another guy I would love to see finally get one

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Matsuyama is hopping around trying to see over a hill, can’t you just go run up and look?

Spieth just found a cartpath drain

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
How is he -7 today? Incredible round. Can he bring it tomorrow after such a great round today? Might not need to though. There are only three within five of him right now.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
The course will dry out for sure and they did not get a ton of rain really so its hard to say how much I like Matsuyama tomorrow. I feel many of his approaches and putts in drier conditions are not as good as we saw today.

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
Could shape up to be a heck of a year for Japan across a variety of industries

- Naomi Osaka winning the Australian Open
- Tsubasa Kajitani winning the Augusta Women's Amateur
- Shohei Ohtani killing it in the MLB both as a hitter and pitcher
- Attack on Titan has been the hottest show in the entertainment industry
- Toyota and Honda are the world's top 2 highest selling car brands
- Uniqlo was ranked #5 in world's most valuable clothing brands
- Will host Summer Olympics this year

And now Hideki Matsuyama can take home that green jacket!

Last edited:

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
I'd love to Jordan shoot another really low round like he did in 2018 when he breathed down Reed's neck despite being way out of it to start the round (much further behind than he is right now)

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I'd love to Jordan shoot another really low round like he did in 2018 when he breathed down Reed's neck despite being way out of it to start the round (much further behind than he is right now)

He really cannot score this week between the poor short-range/mid-range putting and the poor short irons/wedges. He's playing a lot like a typical Rory round of the last year or two where his floor each round is really high because he's hitting so many fairways and greens, but he's not really playing particularly well. His week has been presented by the broadcasters as incredibly volatile with the big numbers and a few great short game shots, but he's doing nothing important the other 15-16 holes per day.

I hope I'm wrong, but don't see a low number. Better chance to win would be tomorrow plays like the first round, Matsuyama shoots a few over, and Jordan out-ball strikes the rest of the field in shooting a few under. Quote me on it, if I'm wrong. It'll be -2/-3 with 3-5 birdies and 1-2 bogeys, and probably a 3rd or 4th place finish. He ruined his chance to win the tournament by losing over -2.5 SG putting today. He's simply not playing high upside enough golf right now to overcome such a bad putting round. That 2018 tournament his rounds were very volatile, and his range of scores was a difference of about 10, depending on if it was a good or bad day. This week, his range of scores is maybe like 4-5.

Reactions: Maestro84

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
No one in the top six has won a golf tournament in the last year. It’s going to be a very nervy final round for the contenders.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
I feel like Spieth has the ability to strongly move up the leaderboard but that's only if he cleans up the unforced errors.

Schauffele I think has the strongest mental game at this point and overall ability to make the best and firmest push on Hideki.

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
Tbh all the players on the leaderboard are players I'd like to see win:

Hideki - imo, he's overdue for a major title, his game is simply electric

Rosey - seems like a very nice guy and he's overdue for a Green Jacket after so many close calls

Xander - somehow he hasn't won in 2 years and I like his game

Zalatoris - ultimate underdog story and we all love watching "David" emerge victorious

Spieth - what a story this would be. 2 years after Tiger had his comeback story, Jordan fulfilling his would be great for sports period

Conners - love seeing Canadian players on that leaderboard

Leishman - great all-around player and it would be nice to see the Aussies get another Green Jacket

Finau is another player I would've loved to see win but he's simply way too far behind now

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
He really cannot score this week between the poor short-range/mid-range putting and the poor short irons/wedges. He's playing a lot like a typical Rory round of the last year or two where his floor each round is really high because he's hitting so many fairways and greens, but he's not really playing particularly well. His week has been presented by the broadcasters as incredibly volatile with the big numbers and a few great short game shots, but he's doing nothing important the other 15-16 holes per day.

I hope I'm wrong, but don't see a low number. Better chance to win would be tomorrow plays like the first round, Matsuyama shoots a few over, and Jordan out-ball strikes the rest of the field in shooting a few under. Quote me on it, if I'm wrong. It'll be -2/-3 with 3-5 birdies and 1-2 bogeys, and probably a 3rd or 4th place finish. He ruined his chance to win the tournament by losing over -2.5 SG putting today. He's simply not playing high upside enough golf right now to overcome such a bad putting round. That 2018 tournament his rounds were very volatile, and his range of scores was a difference of about 10, depending on if it was a good or bad day. This week, his range of scores is maybe like 4-5.
I feel like folks jumped on the hype train a little too prematurely kinda like we did with Tiger back in early 2018 when he made a couple deep runs at Masters tune-up events in the beginning of his comeback (turned out, all we needed was to wait another year)

I certainly think Jordan is rounding back into form and I can see him winning a major later on this season but probably not tomorrow

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Hideki hasn’t won a golf tournament since the WGC-Bridgestone in 2017. A win today and his victory drought would only have been one week less than Jordan’s was.

He’s going for more than just a Masters win today. This has been a very long drought for him.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
LOL. I never noticed before how boring the tee announcements are here. At the other majors its like a pro sports PA guy who announces the guy's career resume as well as where he is from. Here its just ladies and gentlemen, Jordan Spieth

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad