Golf: 2021 Masters Tournament - April 8-11

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Zalotoris had a shot to get to -10 right away but he overshot that approach on 3. If Hideki can eagle here and put the lead back to 3 I have to think he would need a full on collapse.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Matsuyama looked so nervous on that tap in on the 2nd. It was basically a 16 inch putt and he pushed it. That is scary if he's that tight

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I wonder what would happen if someone posts 8 or 9. Hideki is so nervy on his putts, even though he's been better on them this week. He doesn't even hit the hole on so many of these 3-8 footers, and his swing has been a little quick today. I wouldn't be shocked if he dropped like 2-4 shots coming in.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Why do so many talk about why it would be such a big win for Japan if Hideki won? I guess it would, but how much does he care about that? I’m sure he cares more about being a major champion than doing it for Japan. Golf is an individual sport, not a team one.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Why do so many talk about why it would be such a big win for Japan if Hideki won? I guess it would, but how much does he care about that? I’m sure he cares more about being a major champion than doing it for Japan. Golf is an individual sport, not a team one.
I think your off the mark here. Yes it's for personal glory but I am quite sure he would be very proud to be the first Masters winner from Japan.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
How did Jordan finish third and three back? He must’ve made like 20% of his putts this week from 6-10 feet. Even an average putting week, and that’s a win. Five top fives now at Augusta, but only one win. Should have way more than one Masters victory, but I feel like that’s said every year.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
EyusmJ5XEAA6R64

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
This is a big win for the game, having the first player from Japan and the continent of Asia to win a Green Jacket. In terms of growing the game, it's up there with:

- 1958 with Arnie winning which changed the sports industry as a whole
- 1961 with Player being the first international winner
- 1963 with Jack being the youngest winner at the time to create "the big 3"
- 1980 with Seve being the first European to win
- 1997 with Tiger being the first African-American to win
- 2013 with Adam Scott being the first Aussie to win a GJ at last
- 2015 with Spieth officially kicking off an unprecedented "youth era" of golf

Last edited:

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Congrats to Hideki! I think every golfer had to endure rough patches this weekend and especially today but he hung in there. I'll say he's very lucky Schauffele put it in the water on 16 cause he flushed the shot but got kicked down by the wind.

It's awesome to see a winner like him out there and he snapped a nearly 4 year PGA Tour win drought in the process. Like a week difference of drought that Spieth snapped last Sunday too. You love to see it.

I hope next year they can get back to the outdoor Green Jacket presentation ceremony.

Last edited:

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
This is a big win for the game, having the first player from Japan and the continent of Asia to win a Green Jacket. In terms of growing the game, it's up there with:

- 1958 with Arnie winning which changed the sports industry as a whole
- 1961 with Player being the first international winner
- 1963 with Jack being the youngest winner at the time
- 1980 with Seve being the first European to win
- 1997 with Tiger being the first African-American to win
- 2013 with Adam Scott being the first Aussie to win a GJ at last
- 2015 with Spieth officially kicking off an unprecedented "youth era" of golf
With all due respect this is the biggest win since 1997. 2013 and 2015 wins are inconsequential.

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
With all due respect this is the biggest win since 1997. 2013 and 2015 wins are inconsequential.
I beg to differ. 2013 was a massive win for Aussie golf as they've had sooooo many close calls over the years with no cigar. Many Aussies consider Scott's win to be one of the biggest wins in their sports industry

2015 was also a big one since no one ever thought a 21 year old could match Tiger's '97 performance. Not to mention, the game has been dominated by youngsters ever since that triumph

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
If someone from China or India wins a major, they'll say the same thing.

Realistically, these milestones aren't as important as people like to pump them up to be. If a market cannot produce consistently good golfers, it's not going to be a huge milestone just because one guy wins a major. Hideki is an anomaly historically for Japanese golf. This'll do almost nothing for Japanese golf. Maybe a few extra kids get excited, but tangibly you probably are not effecting very much. The biggest effect probably goes down as Hideki inches his way towards the Hall of Fame.

If we are speaking of big milestone wins at Augusta though, Adam Scott being the first Australian to win the Masters is easily higher on the list. There's a long history of Australian's having success and coming close at Augusta National.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Congrats to Hideki! I think every golfer had to endure rough patches this weekend and especially today but he hung in there. I'll say he's very lucky Schauffele put it in the water on 16 cause he flushed the shot but got kicked down by the wind.

It's awesome to see a winner like him out there and he snapped a nearly 4 year PGA Tour win drought in the process. Like a week difference of drought that Spieth snapped last Sunday too. You love to see it.

I hope next year they can get back to the outdoor Green Jacket presentation ceremony.

Edit: I'm an idiot. They still had the ceremony outside.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->