Speculation: 2021-22 Kraken Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miracle on Ice

Jul 30, 2021
Now that we made some of our acquisition for the summer, what is your possible line up for the start of the season?

Jaden Schwartz - Jared McCann - Jordan Eberle
A good offensive line. McCann will probably trive with 2 good shooter. I know the 3 guys seems to like to shoot the puck, but i think it's the better options for our 1st line!

Calle Jarnkrok - Yanni Gourde - Jonas Donskoi
A really good 2nd line that will play a 200 ft game. Gourde will be able to distribute the puck and open the ice for one of the wingers.

Brandon Tanev - Alex Wenneberg - Mason Appleton
Good 3rd line that can bring some offensive. Those 3 player are responsible at both end and Wenneberg is a pretty good goal scorer. We juste need to hope that is season last year is what we gonna see from him!

Colin Blackwell - Morgan Geekie - Nathan Bastian
I cannot say too much about them since i don't really no them...

Mark Girodano - Jamie Oleksiak
1 offensive minded d with a good defensive d with a big body.

Vince Dunn - Adam larson
Same thing as the 1st pair!

Dennis Cholowski - Jeremy Lauzon
Cholowski is able to produce, he just need a chance to play. Lauzon is a good D, will be better with some play time!

Philipp Grubauer
A really good 1st goalie. In career have a nice SV% of .920. With ouf pretty good group of defense, is number will probably stay high.

Chris Driedger
A really good 2nd goalie, we need a great tandem in the NHL in those days!!

Obviously the Kraken can still use help at the center position. But i think we still need a top 6 winger to push back one of donskoi or jarnkrok to the 3rd line.

What is as for now You 're line up for the Kraken??

Reactions: Sens With Benefits

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
We are not likely to have Gourde back till December as he is recovering. That time may be the trickiest one for Hakstol to figure out who he wants 1/2 down the middle.

Schwartz-McCann-Eberle
Donskoi-Wennberg-Appleton -> Weakest and unproven link.
Tanev-Jarnkrok-Geekie
True-Bastian-Blackwell

Gio-Larsson
Oleksiak-Dunn
Soucy-Lauzon/Fleury

Gru
Driedger

With Gourde back, things will be different. Adding another top-6 F may be tough but I would not be shocked to see us pick up atleast one more bottom-6 forward for depth.

Reactions: LokiDog

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
We are not likely to have Gourde back till December as he is recovering. That time may be the trickiest one for Hakstol to figure out who he wants 1/2 down the middle.

Schwartz-McCann-Eberle
Donskoi-Wennberg-Appleton -> Weakest and unproven link.
Tanev-Jarnkrok-Geekie
True-Bastian-Blackwell

Gio-Larsson
Oleksiak-Dunn
Soucy-Lauzon/Fleury

Gru
Driedger

With Gourde back, things will be different. Adding another top-6 F may be tough but I would not be shocked to see us pick up atleast one more bottom-6 forward for depth.

This is really close to mine. I think Wennberg may actually center that first line. They gave him a healthy contract and he's got the draft pedigree and skill. He had a rough end in Columbus but showed solid bounce back in a 2nd/3rd line position last year. He's 26 and does have a 59 point season under his belt. He's also gotten better on faceoffs. McCann's 25 and has never eclipsed 40 points, though he paced for it last year, he also racked up a lot of PP points with Malkin, Crosby, Letang and Guentzel and Penguins overall had like the 3rd most goals in the league. I think Appleton will breakout as well. D I have the same as yours, although I think we should flip Soucy + a forward for a more established scoring forward, or Soucy + a pick/extra D for a RH puck moving D for the third pair. Let Lauzon and Fleury be the third pair, or Lauzon/Fleury plus the RH puck mover. We don't have a lot of guys to distribute the puck from the back end well right now.

I think with Gourde out we see:

Schwartz - Wennberg/McCann - Eberle
Donskoi - McCann/Wennberg - Appleton
Tanev - Geekie - Jarnkrok
True - Bastian - Blackwell

So basically you're exact lineup.

With Gourde back I think we see one of a few options, depending on how McCann/Wennberg/Appleton & Geekie have played to that point.

Schwartz - Wennberg - Eberle
McCann - Gourde - Appleton
Donskoi - Geekie - Jarnkrok
Tanev - Bastian - True/Blackwell

or

Gourde - Geekie - Appleton
Donskoi - McCann - Jarnkrok

or

Scwhartz - Wennberg - Eberle
McCann - Gourde - Geekie
Donskoi - Jarnkrok - Appleton

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Looking around in free agency, if we want another center, I think we'll have to either trade for another center or sign a RFA to an offer sheet.

If we're trading I would be interested in Andrew Copp from Winnipeg and what that might cost.
If we're going the RFA route I would make an offer for Ross Colton from the Lightning.
They're already over the cap/close to it and if we'd offer Colton something between $2 - $4 mil a season it would only cost us a 2nd round pick.
https://www.capfrendly.com/offer-sheet-calculator

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Lets wait and see what Beniers decides on doing before jumping to sign another center.

I personally would like him to go back to Michigan and join the team after the NCAA season's done.

Though, if the team and Beniers think he can play right away at least our depth gives us the opportunity to shelter him and play him in a #2/#3 center role.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Dennis Cholowski - Jeremy Lauzon
Cholowski is able to produce, he just need a chance to play. Lauzon is a good D, will be better with some play time!
Cholo is hot garbage, can't defend and the league has his number.... just go straight at him and challenge, because he'll back up until he's out of room. He avoids any contact which is horrible for a defenseman. Now that Detroit has 8D on roster, he'll clear waivers.

Still an asset because he can run the PP at the AHL level, and be an emergency call up when needed. My only concern is that he'll make the roster because he looks good in practice where there's less contact.

This is really close to mine. I think Wennberg may actually center that first line. They gave him a healthy contract and he's got the draft pedigree and skill. He had a rough end in Columbus but showed solid bounce back in a 2nd/3rd line position last year. He's 26 and does have a 59 point season under his belt. He's also gotten better on faceoffs. McCann's 25 and has never eclipsed 40 points, though he paced for it last year, he also racked up a lot of PP points with Malkin, Crosby, Letang and Guentzel and Penguins overall had like the 3rd most goals in the league. I think Appleton will breakout as well. D I have the same as yours, although I think we should flip Soucy + a forward for a more established scoring forward, or Soucy + a pick/extra D for a RH puck moving D for the third pair. Let Lauzon and Fleury be the third pair, or Lauzon/Fleury plus the RH puck mover. We don't have a lot of guys to distribute the puck from the back end well right now.

I think with Gourde out we see:

Schwartz - Wennberg/McCann - Eberle
Donskoi - McCann/Wennberg - Appleton
Tanev - Geekie - Jarnkrok
True - Bastian - Blackwell

So basically you're exact lineup.

With Gourde back I think we see one of a few options, depending on how McCann/Wennberg/Appleton & Geekie have played to that point.

McCann - Gourde - Appleton
Donskoi - Geekie - Jarnkrok
Tanev - Bastian - True/Blackwell

or

Gourde - Geekie - Appleton
Donskoi - McCann - Jarnkrok

or

Scwhartz - Wennberg - Eberle
McCann - Gourde - Geekie
Donskoi - Jarnkrok - Appleton
All of the above. I expect the line blender to come out often.

Miracle on Ice

Jul 30, 2021
Cholo is hot garbage, can't defend and the league has his number.... just go straight at him and challenge, because he'll back up until he's out of room. He avoids any contact which is horrible for a defenseman. Now that Detroit has 8D on roster, he'll clear waivers.

Still an asset because he can run the PP at the AHL level, and be an emergency call up when needed. My only concern is that he'll make the roster because he looks good in practice where there's less contact.

Oh i didn't know for Cholowski! Thanks for this. So one of the Fleury, probably Haydn will play if we not sign anobody else.

I don't hate to try Appleton on the 2nd line. Overall i like you're line up!!

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA

It's going to take a lot for him to be on the roster though.

Gio-Larsson
Oleksiak-Dunn
Soucy-Lauzon
Fleury

Without a trade in which we move out one of Dunn or Soucy, Cholo is the 8th D-man at best on this roster. Not too worried about that. Plus, I honestly do view the Kraken a team of 2nd (or 3rd) chances. Give them a chance to see how they do in a different team and circumstances. Maybe they do play better .. :crossfing

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas

Gio-Larsson
Oleksiak-Dunn
Soucy-Lauzon
Fleury

Without a trade in which we move out one of Dunn or Soucy, Cholo is the 8th D-man at best on this roster. Not too worried about that. Plus, I honestly do view the Kraken a team of 2nd (or 3rd) chances. Give them a chance to see how they do in a different team and circumstances. Maybe they do play better .. :crossfing

I also think Borgen is above him on the depth chart and has a shot to crack the lineup. 24 years old, 6'3 physical kid who is a RHD (which we are thin on) hasn't really gotten much chances, since Buffalo had Ristolainen, Miller, Jokiharju and Montour on the right but has pretty good upside. I think he was college all-rookie one year and defenseman of the year one year. I think he has a good shot at being #7 if we move one of Soucy/Lauzon for a forward.

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
So other than potential future free agent signings or trades, what is the timeline before the regular season first game?

When do all the players get together at the same time, is their a training camp like the NFL or do teams just do preseason training like in Soccer before the preseason games? Would that be at Northgate facility or do they go as a group somewhere out of state? Are those events free for fans?

When do we find out who makes the roster and who gets cut or moved to the AHL, is there a deadline for that?

Last edited:

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
So other than potential future free agent signings or trades, what is the timeline before the regular season first game?

When do all the players get together at the same time, is their a training camp like the NHL or do teams just do preseason training like in Soccer before the preseason games? Would that be at Northgate facility or do they go as a group somewhere out of state? Are those events free for fans?

When do we find out who makes the roster and who gets cut or moved to the AHL, is there a deadline for that?
There will be a training camp, and there are roster cut dates just like the NFL. I can't find the exact dates for the roster cuts...

Preseason schedule is out already, teams usually don't play all of the veterans. The NHL even had to put a minimum for the number of veterans (8), because NHL preseason is basically a joke. I expect the Kraken will wind up winning most of their preseason games because they will be trying to figure out line combinations and getting these guys familiar with each other and the coaching staff. Meanwhile the opponents will be playing AHLers.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

Gio-Larsson
Oleksiak-Dunn
Soucy-Lauzon
Fleury

The only way Cholo will do better is if he realizes that hockey is a contact sport. He needs to learn how to separate the puck from a player, and the NHL isn't a good place to learn that.

There's a chance he might be a late bloomer, but he needs to figure his game out in the AHL where he gets to play. Being 8th D without playing is probably the worst thing that can happen to him.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Oleksiak i don't think is really over paided after teams went insane in regards to what recent Dmen in the past few days got paid with.

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Oleksiak i don't think is really over paided after teams went insane in regards to what recent Dmen in the past few days got paid with.

I moved to Washington from Dallas this year and had previously lived (literally) next door to the AAC where Dallas plays, so I went to a LOT of games. I don't feel Oleksiak is overpaid. He's better than people think he is, a great teammate, surprisingly mobile for how gargantuan he is, flashes some unexpectedly nice hands sometimes and is overall steady. I think he was a bit of a late bloomer and people don't realize how much he's improved since his early days in Dallas (the first time) and Pittsburgh, and I think he's the type of guy who also steps up into a role and will relish being a leader and core member on this blueline. During Dallas' cup run he stepped up for 9 points in 27 games, which is a 27 point pace - not bad for a stay at home D in the playoffs. He had averaged just over 15 minutes in the regular season and stepped up big time to over 21 per game in the playoffs. Last year he averaged 20:29 per game. He definitely stepped up in recent years.

I'm considering getting an Oleksiak jersey, actually.

My short list is Oleksiak, Wennberg, Larsson. My fiance will get Gru since she always goes goalie lol

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I moved to Washington from Dallas this year and had previously lived (literally) next door to the AAC where Dallas plays, so I went to a LOT of games. I don't feel Oleksiak is overpaid. He's better than people think he is, a great teammate, surprisingly mobile for how gargantuan he is, flashes some unexpectedly nice hands sometimes and is overall steady. I think he was a bit of a late bloomer and people don't realize how much he's improved since his early days in Dallas (the first time) and Pittsburgh, and I think he's the type of guy who also steps up into a role and will relish being a leader and core member on this blueline. During Dallas' cup run he stepped up for 9 points in 27 games, which is a 27 point pace - not bad for a stay at home D in the playoffs. He had averaged just over 15 minutes in the regular season and stepped up big time to over 21 per game in the playoffs. Last year he averaged 20:29 per game. He definitely stepped up in recent years.

I'm considering getting an Oleksiak jersey, actually.

My short list is Oleksiak, Wennberg, Larsson. My fiance will get Gru since she always goes goalie lol
I will be looking at a Beniers jersey next season once he gets a number (highly unlikely this year). For now, it is going to be tough. Debating between getting a Grubauer, Schwartz or Dunn (if he is re-signed for longer than 2 years).

BeniersIsKraken

2022-23 Adopted Kraken: Matty Beniers
Jul 24, 2021
I will be looking at a Beniers jersey next season once he gets a number (highly unlikely this year). For now, it is going to be tough. Debating between getting a Grubauer, Schwartz or Dunn (if he is re-signed for longer than 2 years).

I've learned with any team I support, to never buy a name on the back, especially with the way sports are trending (unless you plan on getting many). If you love the jersey on its own, always worth it to get one blank so it never truly ages!

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I've learned with any team I support, to never buy a name on the back, especially with the way sports are trending (unless you plan on getting many). If you love the jersey on its own, always worth it to get one blank so it never truly ages!

I've had: Prucha, Zherdev, Callahan, Gaborik, Girardi, McDonagh and currently have Zibanejad, Fox and a blank for NYR

Now I go for guys who will have longevity and invest in the authentic. I've stripped and re-done an authentic a few times and with a good customizer it's not noticeable and cheaper than buying a new jersey. With Seattle I'll do the same; get an authentic of someone who seems like they're going to be here a while and then if/when they do leave, either strip it and re-customize it, or if I got 3-4 years out of it, just upgrade to a new one. I don't mind having a bit of a collection. I used to have about 40 jerseys in the closet, now I have about 8.

In addition to all those NYR I've had/have: Subban MTL, Subban NSH, Subban Team Canada, Seguin DAL, Hintz DAL, Benn DAL, Kovalchuk ATL, Ovie WSH, McDonagh Team USA, Dahlin BUF, Zetterberg DET, Pominville BUF, Stafford BUF, Bergeron BOS and I'm sure I'm forgetting a handful.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I've had: Prucha, Zherdev, Callahan, Gaborik, Girardi, McDonagh and currently have Zibanejad, Fox and a blank for NYR

Now I go for guys who will have longevity and invest in the authentic. I've stripped and re-done an authentic a few times and with a good customizer it's not noticeable and cheaper than buying a new jersey. With Seattle I'll do the same; get an authentic of someone who seems like they're going to be here a while and then if/when they do leave, either strip it and re-customize it, or if I got 3-4 years out of it, just upgrade to a new one. I don't mind having a bit of a collection. I used to have about 40 jerseys in the closet, now I have about 8.

In addition to all those NYR I've had/have: Subban MTL, Subban NSH, Subban Team Canada, Seguin DAL, Hintz DAL, Benn DAL, Kovalchuk ATL, Ovie WSH, McDonagh Team USA, Dahlin BUF, Zetterberg DET, Pominville BUF, Stafford BUF, Bergeron BOS and I'm sure I'm forgetting a handful.

I would be definitely interesting in learning more about how you go about finding someone to re-do the jersey. Its certainly not something I have the skills to do on my own. Would prefer to go the authentic jersey route as well.

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I would be definitely interesting in learning more about how you go about finding someone to re-do the jersey. Its certainly not something I have the skills to do on my own. Would prefer to go the authentic jersey route as well.

You’d just have to send it out to a trusted customizer. Places like arena wear do a lot of the NHL teams. They can strip and re-customize, or if you look up a couple of videos and are really careful and gentle you can do the stripping yourself and save money. But I’d practice by stripping an older, cheaper jersey first before going at it with a new authentic. Carefully cutting the stitching doesn’t require much besides patience. You just have to go slow, don’t pull, make sure not to cut the jersey. Getting the adhesive that held the numbers in place off is a lot harder and you don’t want to stretch or tear the jersey.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
You’d just have to send it out to a trusted customizer. Places like arena wear do a lot of the NHL teams. They can strip and re-customize, or if you look up a couple of videos and are really careful and gentle you can do the stripping yourself and save money. But I’d practice by stripping an older, cheaper jersey first before going at it with a new authentic. Carefully cutting the stitching doesn’t require much besides patience. You just have to go slow, don’t pull, make sure not to cut the jersey. Getting the adhesive that held the numbers in place off is a lot harder and you don’t want to stretch or tear the jersey.

I will be honest. With how much time it would take me to do that stuff, I would probably be better off just buying another authentic jersey .. LOL.

In the past, for Sharks jerseys, I never ordered one from NHL.com or Fanatics. I actually went through the other SJ shops who gave me the options for stitched jersey numbers as opposed to the ones glued on.

I am hoping we end up having local shops in our area that offer the same.

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I will be honest. With how much time it would take me to do that stuff, I would probably be better off just buying another authentic jersey .. LOL.

In the past, for Sharks jerseys, I never ordered one from NHL.com or Fanatics. I actually went through the other SJ shops who gave me the options for stitched jersey numbers as opposed to the ones glued on.

I am hoping we end up having local shops in our area that offer the same.

Well you could just ship it out to be stripped and re-done and it would still only cost you like $100-115 as opposed to getting a brand new one. Granted, I have no problem buying extra jerseys, but if you’re not in the mood to drop the money for a whole new sweater, getting them redone is an option.

I never buy through the NHL or fanatics but all jerseys have adhesive under the numbers to keep them in place during stitching and to keep them flat after the fact. Stitched authentics still have adhesive it’s just not the main thing holding the numbers down. It’s just painted on the middle portion of the number and used to keep it in place, as opposed to those glued down ones that are edge to edge adhesive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad