Injury Report: 2021 Injury Thread - Part II

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
it's not that easy to figure out when someone is healthy or should be cleared from a concussion. he needs to reinvent his game to take less contact, the playoffs are not the time to do that
True he needs to learn to be more evasive but the hit that took him out was a charge and a hit to the head. Should have been a suspension but ya'know them DoPs

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Eh, size doesn't help EJ from getting injured every other game. Byram is listed at 190 right now, how does that extra 10 lbs over his 6'1" frame allow him substantially more opportunities to absorb a hit without injury? If he can't take a hit now, then it will be an issue moving forward and he will need to adjust his playstyle and not his stature IMO. I could see it if he was a featherweight but size isn't the concern IMO.
Adding that extra weight absolutely will make a difference. Byram doesn't avoid contact, he doesn't even try to. If he's not going to bet bigger and stronger, he's going to find himself on the IR for long periods during his career.

If he was a more cerebral player, sure, he doesn't need it. But given how he plays? He initiates that contact, he wants it. You aren't going to be able to play that style in the NHL against men if you don't get stronger.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Bo doesn't have to bulk up, but he will gain more natural man strength in the next few years, which will hopefully help him play his style without getting injured.

This happens all the time with rookies, because they're not physically mature yet.

The physical rigors of playing against men multiple times a week takes a toll. They have more nagging injuries than they're used to, and the hits they take do more damage. They're not used to that being the case, because they're used to playing against teenagers.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
Damn, Pat Brisson said EJ's still having symptoms. Poor guy has the worst luck. This moment right now is what he's been waiting for his whole career and what he stuck with this team for.

Was this the first confirmation that we've gotten that EJ has a concussion? Everything else before has just been UBI right?

Reactions: xpatriatedtexan

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Was this the first confirmation that we've gotten that EJ has a concussion? Everything else before has just been UBI right?
I thought he missed TC and the start of the year because of a knee issue from last season? The way he fell on his face was brutal. I was actually praying it was a broken jaw at worst. I really hope the Avs make it deep where EJ can atleast get in a game.

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
I thought he missed TC and the start of the year because of a knee issue from last season? The way he fell on his face was brutal. I was actually praying it was a broken jaw at worst. I really hope the Avs make it deep where EJ can atleast get in a game.
He missed both because he had COVID. Came back and played the 2 games, and was done for the season.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Adding that extra weight absolutely will make a difference. Byram doesn't avoid contact, he doesn't even try to. If he's not going to bet bigger and stronger, he's going to find himself on the IR for long periods during his career.

If he was a more cerebral player, sure, he doesn't need it. But given how he plays? He initiates that contact, he wants it. You aren't going to be able to play that style in the NHL against men if you don't get stronger.

I think this is a double edge sword... Byram can tone down his game and play to his strengths in the NHL at 190-195. He can be a damn good two way defensemen with good skating, some offensive pop, and great defense. Or he can bulk up to 210-215+, lose some of his skating and agility to play a more physical game. I think he'd lose some of what make him click by moving up weight classes... but if he doesn't bulk up, he's gotta tone down the physical side of his game.

Reactions: jabubenice

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I think this is a double edge sword... Byram can tone down his game and play to his strengths in the NHL at 190-195. He can be a damn good two way defensemen with good skating, some offensive pop, and great defense. Or he can bulk up to 210-215+, lose some of his skating and agility to play a more physical game. I think he'd lose some of what make him click by moving up weight classes... but if he doesn't bulk up, he's gotta tone down the physical side of his game.

He just needs to learn to avoid hits, not absorb them. Adding 15/20 pounds can only do so much and it doesn’t make sense to sacrifice his skating.

He can still hit people, but just needs to elude hits better. He should be able to learn that because he’s nimble on his skates.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
He just needs to learn to avoid hits, not absorb them. Adding 15/20 pounds can only do so much and it doesn’t make sense to sacrifice his skating.

He can still hit people, but just needs to elude hits better. He should be able to learn that because he’s nimble on his skates.

I meant physicality both ways. Hitting and receiving. A big part of his game is taking a hit to make a play. Though... hitting still takes a toll on player, and I'm not saying eliminate all of it... just tone it down. Also a part of the reason he gets targeted for hit is his own style of play and his hits. This isn't junior hockey where he's the best player on the ice and one of, if not the, strongest.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I meant physicality both ways. Hitting and receiving. A big part of his game is taking a hit to make a play. Though... hitting still takes a toll on player, and I'm not saying eliminate all of it... just tone it down. Also a part of the reason he gets targeted for hit is his own style of play and his hits. This isn't junior hockey where he's the best player on the ice and one of, if not the, strongest.

Taking hits is more punishing than giving out hits imo. That’s where Byram needs to adjust. Less allowing himself to get smashed into the boards.

I’m not too worried about it. He’ll adjust.

Reactions: Azrael89

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
That's what I mean, though. He doesn't seem like the type to change his style of play. He seems to yearn for that physical contact and agitating style of play. He's going to be targeted, and he's going to target others.

I don't want him to lose that skating ability, but if he's going to keep on playing this way I think the bulking up is a necessity.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
That's what I mean, though. He doesn't seem like the type to change his style of play. He seems to yearn for that physical contact and agitating style of play. He's going to be targeted, and he's going to target others.

I don't want him to lose that skating ability, but if he's going to keep on playing this way I think the bulking up is a necessity.

That's my big concern. It is a big part of his game and central to how he will play in the NHL. I believe that he needs to adjust his style of play and that will be more effective long-term, but he has to find his way no matter which way he goes... or even a middle ground.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Damn, Pat Brisson said EJ's still having symptoms. Poor guy has the worst luck. This moment right now is what he's been waiting for his whole career and what he stuck with this team for.

I swore I remember the Avs hinting it was not a concussion, even saying he would be available later which you can’t forecast if its a consussion. Are the Avs intentionnally misleading?

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
I swore I remember the Avs hinting it was not a concussion, even saying he would be available later which you can’t forecast if its a consussion. Are the Avs intentionnally misleading?
Only peep from the Avs about him was when Sakic was asked by Chambers twice at the Trade Deadline PC if EJ had an arm injury, and Sakic gave a coy smile and said upper body. Everyone just assumed it was a sholder/arm injury at that point.

Reactions: shadow1

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Only peep from the Avs about him was when Sakic was asked by Chambers twice at the Trade Deadline PC if EJ had an arm injury, and Sakic gave a coy smile and said upper body. Everyone just assumed it was a sholder/arm injury at that point.
Your are correct in the recollection of facts. One would be right in assuming that a coy smile should be an implicit confirmation of statement.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
The EJ news just sucks. We thought it was a concussion all along and then it seemed like it might be an arm/shoulder, which would’ve been much better news. I guess it could still be both but the concussion symptoms part of it is terrible.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
How Bednar and Sakic made it sound in the TDL state of the union address, Johnson had more problems with his shoulder than concussion even though the hit looked entirely concussion based.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad