OT - NO POLITICS 2021 II - The Blahs of February

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
Does anyone here have any experience in transferring property ownership from a parent to yourself? My mother in law owns her condo on the Sunshine Coast, still has about 40,000$ left on her mortgage. She is looking to move to Van Island as her mobility is becoming an issue and to be closer to us will allow us to help her with some things down the road she might not be able to do

She`s on an exceptionally small pension (under $30,000) and receives some old age pension coming in under $40,000 yearly. On that point strictly she`d qualified for Subsidized housing but we are wondering if she`ll be denied due to being a current owner of a property and if it would be wiser to transfer or "gift" her current property to Mrs. Odaat and myself? We aren`t trying to screw the system but rent here for a one bedroom averages $1200 for a modest sized 1 bedroom and while she`d make some $$ from the sale of her condo, she`d fly through her savings quickly with the high rent here.

I`ve put some calls out to real estate lawyers to ask the best approach but none have answered my call. Thanks in advance, feel free to PM me, drop your personal email in there if you are comfortable doing so

Have a local estate planning lawyer create a trust and transfer the ownership into the trust. Better for taxes.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
You know what we used to have often when I was a kid? Steak-umms. Man, I haven't had that in ages. Probably gross now but I loved it as a kid lol

I still make these every Blue Moon.
Sooooo...good.

But I sear them and then load up the mushrooms and caramelized onions with the melty cheese.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
You know what we used to have often when I was a kid? Steak-umms. Man, I haven't had that in ages. Probably gross now but I loved it as a kid lol

I remember them being salty and delicious as a child. I'm going to guess that I last had one around 25 years ago

Reactions: BMC

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I prefer good old fashioned American. I loved the wiz as a kid, but man, it's garbage as an adult. My wife still prefers it though, so we have both.

Pile on the american or provolone, peppers, onions, mushrooms, pickles...hell, I've even started going with cucumbers and lite mayo. Sounds weird but gives a nice fresh crunch.

Cheese wiz? UGH. never understood the appeal at all, in any scenario

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
Gave my fiancé a break and took the girls from Sunday to Wednesday. Teenage girls are hella hyper and annoying. Plus they made me feel old since I knew them as kids and now they’re young women. Talking bout boys. Face timing with boys. Felt old as they left the dinner table and I looked at it like this my job now to clean.

however with a device in their hands they’re quiet

Reactions: BMC

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
The most "February" day of all time:

Son had a Dr. Appt. at 9:30 -- typically would be out by 10 -- but was there until 10:30 because it was busy.

Dropped my mask in the sink while washing my hands using the bathroom in the waiting room, so I had to wear a wet mask for the next hour.

Left Dr's office --- son forgot his school bag, so we had to go back home before bringing him to school.

Got to work -- no parking spots in the main lot so I had to park in a lot a couple of blocks away.

Got in to work -- forgot my phone in the car --- retrieved phone - got in to work again.

3 meetings @ 12, 1, and 2 --- nothing accomplished.

Then the 3:00 zoom meeting I was supposed to have got moved to 4:30 --- and I'm in it now --- also accomplishing very little.

Oh...and physical therapy for my shoulder at 6:00 today -- so I've got that going for me, which is nice.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
The most "February" day of all time:

Son had a Dr. Appt. at 9:30 -- typically would be out by 10 -- but was there until 10:30 because it was busy.

Dropped my mask in the sink while washing my hands using the bathroom in the waiting room, so I had to wear a wet mask for the next hour.

Left Dr's office --- son forgot his school bag, so we had to go back home before bringing him to school.

Got to work -- no parking spots in the main lot so I had to park in a lot a couple of blocks away.

Got in to work -- forgot my phone in the car --- retrieved phone - got in to work again.

3 meetings @ 12, 1, and 2 --- nothing accomplished.

Then the 3:00 zoom meeting I was supposed to have got moved to 4:30 --- and I'm in it now --- also accomplishing very little.

Oh...and physical therapy for my shoulder at 6:00 today -- so I've got that going for me, which is nice.

That is definitely an unpleasant day.

f9RrjwK6CFFasFW3pP.gif

..... At least the Bruins won last night?

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

They're really awful. My wife bought a pack for the kids during the early days of the pandemic. The kids won't eat them because they're so nasty. They love spam though.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
They're really awful. My wife bought a pack for the kids during the early days of the pandemic. The kids won't eat them because they're so nasty. They love spam though.
I've been tempted to buy some over the years, but never felt like spending the money (when did they get so expensive??). Guess I'll find some other food to get nostalgic about lol.

I used to like Campbell's chicken noodle soup as a kid, but now it's super gross. Lame noodles, questionable "chicken." So many other options on the market now.

Reactions: shelbysdad

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Almost exactly two years since his first brain cancer diagnosis, Quinn Waters and his family received the devastating news that the cancer has returned.

An MRI performed last Friday found new cancer on the now-almost-5-year-old’s brain, according to a Facebook post from his family. Also known as “The Mighty Quinn” across the country for his battle with cancer the first time, Quinn, of Weymouth, is set to undergo radiation and chemotherapy again.

“He will lose his amazing flow again and his therapy will leave him with terrible long term effects, but right now we are solely focused on survivability,” his family wrote in the post. “I’ve never met anyone stronger and I feel so so so sorry for him, all the while he doesn’t feel sorry for himself in the least. All he wants out of life is to be a regular boy, have friends, go to school and have fun. It’s been barely possible these past few years, but he trudged on unphased.”

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Almost exactly two years since his first brain cancer diagnosis, Quinn Waters and his family received the devastating news that the cancer has returned.

An MRI performed last Friday found new cancer on the now-almost-5-year-old’s brain, according to a Facebook post from his family. Also known as “The Mighty Quinn” across the country for his battle with cancer the first time, Quinn, of Weymouth, is set to undergo radiation and chemotherapy again.

“He will lose his amazing flow again and his therapy will leave him with terrible long term effects, but right now we are solely focused on survivability,” his family wrote in the post. “I’ve never met anyone stronger and I feel so so so sorry for him, all the while he doesn’t feel sorry for himself in the least. All he wants out of life is to be a regular boy, have friends, go to school and have fun. It’s been barely possible these past few years, but he trudged on unphased.”
Oh no, poor kid :cry:

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
I've been tempted to buy some over the years, but never felt like spending the money (when did they get so expensive??). Guess I'll find some other food to get nostalgic about lol.

I used to like Campbell's chicken noodle soup as a kid, but now it's super gross. Lame noodles, questionable "chicken." So many other options on the market now.

Thats the thing, food quality has definitely changed over the years.

I was working long hours many years ago and was buying the microwave Marie Callander meals. They were pretty darn good.
Fast forward 15 years and I pick up one again and it does not taste remotely the same. All their stuff has fallen through the floor quality-wise.

I can't buy fruit or vegetables in a store anymore. Ate an orange last week that looked as pretty as a picture.
Did not taste like an orange.
How the hell do you screw up an orange so bad it does not taste like an orange?

I get my fruit from a local farmers market now and half my veggies I grow(well, try to grow mostly) myself.

Buy an apple or a tomato from Wal-Mart and then buy one from a farmers market. Take a bite out of each and you will find the difference to be galaxies away from each other.
It's like eating a banana then eating an organic banana for the first time. It's like your finally tasting real fruit compared to the normal version.

But hey, as long as the board members make their profits to buy that island they wanted to give to their dog for Christmas we will just keep eating the crap and eventually just accept it.

Last edited:

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

I was working long hours many years ago and was buying the microwave Marie Callander meals. They were pretty darn good.
Fast forward 15 years and I pick up one again and it does not taste remotely the same. All their stuff has fallen through the floor quality-wise.

I can't buy fruit or vegetables in a store anymore. Ate an orange last week that looked as pretty as a picture.
How the hell to do screw up an orange so bad it does not taste like an orange?

I get my fruit from a local farmers market now and half my veggies I grow(well, try to grow mostly) myself.

Buy an apple or a tomato from Wal-Mart and then buy one from a farmers market. Take a bite out of each and you will find the difference to be galaxies away from each other.
It's like eating a banana then eating an organic banana for the first time. It's like your finally tasting real fruit compared to the normal version.

But hey, as long as the board members make their profits to buy that island they wanted to give to their dog for Christmas we will just keep eating the crap and eventually just accept it.

Was talking to a guy once (in a bar I assume) who said at one time he was a USDA meat inspector. Hasn't eaten meat since. Suggested I shouldn't either.

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

How the hell to do screw up an orange so bad it does not taste like an orange?

I love in the warmer weather here when we have the weekly farmers market on the town green.

The produce and baked goods cost more but man are they super fresh and good.
Plus helps keep the small local farms going.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Pile on the american or provolone, peppers, onions, mushrooms, pickles...hell, I've even started going with cucumbers and lite mayo. Sounds weird but gives a nice fresh crunch.

Cheese wiz? UGH. never understood the appeal at all, in any scenario

It's one of those things I can enjoy a couple times a year.

Funny story re: Cheese Wiz. Years ago I worked on this resort that had built hundreds of chalets and sold them to folks in Ireland and the UK as summer homes/timeshares. There was this old former British pro soccer player who now lived on the resort full time. The resort had an 18-hole golf course I was managing the convenience store part of the pro shop so we would keep a small stock of grocery items. This old soccer pro came in one day with an employee from the resort and was commenting on how great Kraft Cheese Wiz was. So overhearing this I folks from the UK liked Cheese Wiz and decided maybe that would be a good grocery item to stock and proceeded to order a case from the supplier.

A couple weeks later the old soccer pro came in again and I mentioned to him we now had Cheese Wiz in stock. He laughed and said that stuff was disgusting and didn't see how we folks here in North America could even eat the stuff as it wasn't consumed in the UK. Turns out the previous conversation I overheard was complete sarcasm and he was just poking fun at the resort employee about eating Cheeze Wiz. Needless to say I didn't sell any bottles of Cheese Wiz that particular summer.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

OMG yes. They were expensive back then so we'd only have them when they were on sale. I can't imagine what they cost now, I haven't had any in years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad