OT - NO POLITICS 2021 II - The Blahs of February

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
My mom passed away last November. The cancer finally won. I have found it tough especially coupled with the weight of these lockdowns. My dad is lonely. We are being there for him as best we can. 50 years they were together. Hard to fathom the sense of loss he must feel.

I think we all accept, to some degree, that we will loose our parents at some stage in our lives and while it might not ease the pain when it does happen, the knowledge that it is nature taking its course acts as some sort of comfort, at least it has for me anyway. Loosing your partner of 50 years however, I don't know, I doubt it is something he dared think about even when it was becoming very clear in the final weeks. I try to imagine what it must be like in a futile effort to try and better assertane what he might need but it hurts too much to even imagine. I know my pain pales in comparison to his.

It is the first time I have lost someone close. It has altered my perception on life. If every cloud does in fact have a silver lining then the silver lining to my cloud is that I have found myself to be a lot more empathetic and understanding of other people since. I hope these new traits stick. Mom would have wanted them to.
Sending you and your family a warm hug from across the pond. Losing a parent sucks even more so when they pass away due to illness. I can't imagine how painful it is for a spouse.

I think your new perspective on life is great and you can think of it as your mom's lasting gift to you. I know I try to remember all the good times and the best advice anyone gave me was that it is ok to not be ok.

Hugs!

Hope Little Irish is doing well!

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
My mom passed away last November. The cancer finally won. I have found it tough especially coupled with the weight of these lockdowns. My dad is lonely. We are being there for him as best we can. 50 years they were together. Hard to fathom the sense of loss he must feel.

I think we all accept, to some degree, that we will loose our parents at some stage in our lives and while it might not ease the pain when it does happen, the knowledge that it is nature taking its course acts as some sort of comfort, at least it has for me anyway. Loosing your partner of 50 years however, I don't know, I doubt it is something he dared think about even when it was becoming very clear in the final weeks. I try to imagine what it must be like in a futile effort to try and better assertane what he might need but it hurts too much to even imagine. I know my pain pales in comparison to his.

It is the first time I have lost someone close. It has altered my perception on life. If every cloud does in fact have a silver lining then the silver lining to my cloud is that I have found myself to be a lot more empathetic and understanding of other people since. I hope these new traits stick. Mom would have wanted them to.

So sorry. I feel you pain. Lost my mom to cancer Sept 1.
I still am having difficulty getting my head around it.
Some memories bring me a glimmer of nostalgic joy while others bring a grief I’ve never felt before.

We are still in process of clearing out her belongings. Seems can only do so much at a time. Not because she had a lot but because of the emotional part.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

I am so sorry. Losing a parent is very, very hard. It is certainly the hardest thing I've ever gone through. And I agree with you that it alters your perception on life & yes I too am absolutely much more understanding of other people than I have ever been. Too bad it took Dad's death to accomplish that feat.

Last edited:

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I am so sorry. Losing a parent is very, very hard. It is certainly the hardest thing I've ever gone through. And I agree with you that it alters your perception on life & yes I too am absolutely much more understanding of other people than I have ever been. Too bad it took Dad's death to do accomplish that feat.
It's be twenty years ago this May 25 that my dad passed away. I can't believe it's been that long.

My mom recently sent me this picture. I have it sitting on my desk at work. Much simpler times and happy memories.

FB_IMG_1612456126212.jpg

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Does anyone here have any experience in transferring property ownership from a parent to yourself? My mother in law owns her condo on the Sunshine Coast, still has about 40,000$ left on her mortgage. She is looking to move to Van Island as her mobility is becoming an issue and to be closer to us will allow us to help her with some things down the road she might not be able to do

She`s on an exceptionally small pension (under $30,000) and receives some old age pension coming in under $40,000 yearly. On that point strictly she`d qualified for Subsidized housing but we are wondering if she`ll be denied due to being a current owner of a property and if it would be wiser to transfer or "gift" her current property to Mrs. Odaat and myself? We aren`t trying to screw the system but rent here for a one bedroom averages $1200 for a modest sized 1 bedroom and while she`d make some $$ from the sale of her condo, she`d fly through her savings quickly with the high rent here.

I`ve put some calls out to real estate lawyers to ask the best approach but none have answered my call. Thanks in advance, feel free to PM me, drop your personal email in there if you are comfortable doing so

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
It's be twenty years ago this May 25 that my dad passed away. I can't believe it's been that long.

My mom recently sent me this picture. I have it sitting on my desk at work. Much simpler times and happy memories.

View attachment 392524
I remember houses with some actual land on it to play on. I look at some of the new builds now and it`s crazy how little space there is between homes with little greenspace

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
I remember houses with some actual land on it to play on. I look at some of the new builds now and it`s crazy how little space there is between homes with little greenspace

Most people don't want to spend time on the yardwork. So they are fine with the zero lot lines....

No thank you....

Reactions: BMC

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
There are "McMansions" all through the development behind my apartment, and they are practically on top of each other. If I was spending hundreds of thousands of dollars, I'd want some space between me and my neighbors.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017

Our house growing up wasn't a giant lot by any means but had woods behind it with trees and big granite rocks, and I could run around and jump all over them, etc. I'm resigned to the fact that my future kids will likely never have anything like that and it sucks.

Reactions: ODAAT

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
I would like a lot of space. Like miles on all sides space...

Agree with that totally....the one good thing I find about covid was social distancing....I would have no problem doing it all the time....

We are on a plan to move to Maine in 2022. Too many people here now in the Hudson Valley. Even though we have 3 acres and live on a dead end road, when we go into our small town anytime, the redlight always is backed up at least 10 cars....

Reactions: BMC and CHRDANHUTCH

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench

Sending a hug. :heart: I so miss my parents . Life is never the same

Reactions: Gee Wally

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

I'm so sorry for your loss Irish. Losing a parent is very tough. It certainly does change your perspective on life, I think especially when the parent passed away 'before their time'. There is grief and loss and a sense of missed opportunities, but I think you're spot on that there are also learnings and new appreciations that can be taken out of these sad events, and if we can cling on to these and be better for them, then I think that both makes the loss more meaningful and is a good way of honouring the person and their legacy.

Reactions: BMC

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs

I feel ya, Irish. That's a lovely tribute to your mom.
Hard times, come again no more.

Reactions: BMC and Ladyfan

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Man, all the things you have to think about in regard to payroll and benefits after an employee dies.... :confused:

At least we have a good life insurance benefit, and a new indemnity plan this year that pays money directly to the individual for hospitalization. That will help the family.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce