Red Sox/MLB 2021 Hot Stove III - Jackie Bradley Jr. Signs w/ Brewers

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Sea Dogs announce 2021 season schedule:

120 games 6 20 game series and Mondays are the travel days.

there's no word yet as to fan attendance at Hadlock Field (subject to CDC Regs)

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Waiting on JBJ

when Scott Borass your agent you are Brain-washed you are getting paid

I feel like Boras has had some issues with getting guys paid recently. Their ask is too high, they wait too long, and then they get stuck taking a bad deal.

I know his clients go to him just to get the most money, but it also seems like he ends up putting them in bad spots too.

Reactions: DKH

Chevalier du Clavier

Écrivain de ferrage
Jul 20, 2005
These type of contracts are so stupid for both entities. What’s the motivation now?
There are risks and rewards with these types of contracts. It all depends on your point of view. Mookie, for example, had a long talk with his family. He initially struggled with the Sox's offer because it was more money than he had ever seen before. However, he said he and his family wanted to take emotion out of it. He thought he could do better after each offer from the Sox, and he did. He bet on himself.

As @UNB Bruins Fan points out, it's still a ton of money. Tatis' father had a heck of a start to his career. He looked like he was going to become a star. When the 1999 season was over, he looked like he arrived when his slashed .298 / .404 / .553 / .957 with 34 homers and 107 RBI. His career nosedived the next season and never hit the same. His career earnings were $17.8 million with a season-high of $6.5 million. That's certainly nothing to sneeze at. However, perhaps his father's experiences affected his decision here.

The risk for Tatis is that he's worth more than $24 million a season, which is the reward for the Padres. After all, just for comparison, Price is making $30 million a season. Who is getting the better deal? The risk for the Padres is he suffers a career-limiting or ending injury, which is the reward for Tatis. It's a gamble, but I wouldn't be complaining if I were a Padres fan. I certainly wouldn't have complained if the Sox would have signed Mookie to a similar deal when he was 2 seasons into his career.

Reactions: CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
the reason why the annual value is so “low” on Tatis is because they’re buying out a bunch of pre-FA years where Tatis would be making peanuts relative to what he’s making now

kinda funny how much bigger than his dad he is- he’s got like 5 inches on him

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
Right-handed bullpen guy with a sidearm delivery and a low 90's fastball. Been described as tough on righties, but lefties have pounded him thus far in the majors. HUGE negative Home/Road splits for some reason. Pitched in 15 games last season... Had a 2.53 ERA after his first 10 appearances, and a 14.40 ERA in his last five.

Chevalier du Clavier

Écrivain de ferrage
Jul 20, 2005
the reason why the annual value is so “low” on Tatis is because they’re buying out a bunch of pre-FA years where Tatis would be making peanuts relative to what he’s making now

kinda funny how much bigger than his dad he is- he’s got like 5 inches on him
I was living in North Texas when his Dad played for the Rangers. Even though I wasn't a Rangers fan, I was a bit bummed when he was traded to St. Louis because I just enjoyed watching him play. Then he does this:

Which reminds me of this gem that I had the pleasure of watching from behind home plate:

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Completely random thought, but the fact that Johan Santana was one-and-done for Hall of Fame voting and guys like Pettitte and Buehrle got more votes than him is a travesty. I know longevity matters, but you're telling me a guy with multiple Cy Young Awards, who I believe is in the argument for best pitcher of the 2000s, didn't deserve to at least get to a second ballot?

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Completely random thought, but the fact that Johan Santana was one-and-done for Hall of Fame voting and guys like Pettitte and Buehrle got more votes than him is a travesty. I know longevity matters, but you're telling me a guy with multiple Cy Young Awards, who I believe is in the argument for best pitcher of the 2000s, didn't deserve to at least get to a second ballot?

completely agree, when I saw that recently I was disgusted

not many were better at their peak than that guy- and it’s not like it was a 2 year run. He was pretty dominant for about 8 years

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
He got screwed out of a third too in 2005

Johan Santana finished third overall for the American League Cy Young Award despite having superior production to the two pitchers who placed ahead of him in the vote. Sandwiched in between his Cy Young seasons of 2004 and 2006, the Twins ace led the American League in 2005 in WHIP, strikeouts, fewest hits per nine innings and most strikeouts per nine.

From Athletic

Sucks he was basically finished at 31 but to me he’s a HOF

Last edited:

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
If he had been a 4 ERA guy for another 3-4 years they probably put him in, that’s the sad part.

I don’t care about the players that stat pad over time, I want true greatness and that was Johan for about 7-8 seasons

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Something to think about- the San Diego Padres are a superteam and their closer???

My heart. My soul. The leader of the Drew Tang Clan. Drew Pomeranzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Absolutely filthy reliever these days

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Dammit Johnny. Above .20 isn’t a great look!

I guess you’re not technically a Floridian without a DUI of some sort, usually it’s something a little more bizarre like a dude on bath salts riding a golf cart

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Dammit Johnny. Above .20 isn’t a great look!

I guess you’re not technically a Floridian without a DUI of some sort, usually it’s something a little more bizarre like a dude on bath salts riding a golf cart

It's definitely not up to "Florida Man" Standards, that's for sure. I mean shit, at least Tiger Wood was so looped when he got arrested that he thought he was in California instead of Florida.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I listened to an interview with Johnny Damon last year on a podcast and ended up feeling really bad for him for how Boston fans treated him. Theo didn't even offer him a contract because he was planning on Ellsbury coming up as CF so he only needed a stopgap like Coco Crisp, and he wanted to go to the Tigers but they ended up opting to promote Curtis Granderson to play CF and give their FA money to Kenny Rogers instead, so the only team that actually gave him a contract offer was the Yankees, and everyone treated him like Satan over it. He seems like a really sensitive guy too.

That said, there's no excuse to blow a .30 when driving.

Reactions: LSCII

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
It's definitely not up to "Florida Man" Standards, that's for sure. I mean shit, at least Tiger Wood was so looped when he got arrested that he thought he was in California instead of Florida.
‘Florida Man’ lol

My first choice to seek out in a line brawl

Reactions: LSCII
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad