Red Sox/MLB 2021 Hot Stove III - Jackie Bradley Jr. Signs w/ Brewers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Broons88

Mar 11, 2021
Can a legit baseball fan confirm this take?
Google theo epsteins quote about how they need to let baseball players go back to being actual players from last offseason. And theo was a chief nerd with all the analytic garbage. Ill take his words for it

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
You wouuldnt have anyway. It involved not being a blind homer

Criticized them 2011, back half of Farrell’s stretch. Sorry I didn’t criticize them when they were the best team in team history and wasn’t brutal on them the season after? Sorry I think Bloom is doing a good job?

The fact that my opinions on the Sox have impacted you this much is hilarious to me. You created an account to call me out. That my friends is RENT FREE LIVING

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Criticized them 2011, back half of Farrell’s stretch. Sorry I didn’t criticize them when they were the best team in team history and wasn’t brutal on them the season after? Sorry I think Bloom is doing a good job?

The fact that my opinions on the Sox have impacted you this much is hilarious to me. You created an account to call me out. That my friends is RENT FREE LIVING

upload_2021-3-11_15-33-11.jpeg

Reactions: CDJ

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Not at all. Theo is a hall of famer. I respect his views more than anyone. Its dork nerd bloome and all his analytical horseshit thats ruining baseball is where my problem lies

So you respect Theo who you consider “chief nerd” but hate Bloom for essentially following Theo’s game plan.

Makes as much sense as a polar bear in Africa.

Broons88

Mar 11, 2021
lol when have I ever defended ownership aside from saying that they aren’t cheap? I call them stupid instead. That’s just reality
Theyre cheap and stupid. Well done youre actually being logical for a change

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018
YEAH BUT IF THEY LOST YOU WOULDNT SAY THAT YOU WOULD SAY ITS SPRING TRAINING

;)
I won't lie I haven't been a big fan of Bloom and his trades but I do expect this team will be good this season. They do need to fire Richards into space and give his spot to Houck.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I won't lie I haven't been a big fan of Bloom and his trades but I do expect this team will be good this season. They do need to fire Richards into space and give his spot to Houck.

Cmonnnnnn gotta give Richards a little bit deeper into March :laugh:

he hasn’t looked good though. Sometimes the season starts and that doesn’t matter, sometimes its a sign of more to come. We shall see. It’s nice knowing we have this kind of depth where you could suggest such a thing though- that certainly wasn’t the case recently

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018
Cmonnnnnn gotta give Richards a little bit deeper into March :laugh:

he hasn’t looked good though. Sometimes the season starts and that doesn’t matter, sometimes its a sign of more to come. We shall see. It’s nice knowing we have this kind of depth where you could suggest such a thing though- that certainly wasn’t the case recently
Well he is the weak link and I really like Houck so that's why. Also I was sad when they let go Shawaryn last season. Also it's so damn hard following this team living in the UK.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Well he is the weak link and I really like Houck so that's why. Also I was sad when they let go Shawaryn last season. Also it's so damn hard following this team living in the UK.

Was surprised they didn’t give Shawaryn a bigger opportunity myself. I would have much preferred him over guys like Matt Hall and Kyle Hart

although I read Kyle Hart caught Lyme disease in the time between camps so that may have contributed to him looking like crap- I think the more likely reason he didn’t look good is because he’s an upper minors depth arm but I have to grant the possibility that he’s a little better than what he’s shown

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
Can a legit baseball fan confirm this take?
If I were a fact checker, I would rate that claim as "Mostly False".

I don't think any baseball nerd would tell you that home runs are the only thing that matters. In fact, the overwhelming majority of them would probably tell you that on-base percentage is more important than slugging percentage.

There's an analytical concept called "Three True Outcomes". The concept is that there are essentially three outcomes in a baseball game that are not affected by defense - home runs, walks, and strikeouts. Bobby Dalbec is an example of a Three True Outcome Player - last year, he had a walk, a strikeout, or a home run in 61.9% of his plate appearances.

I do think that a lot of the "Moneyball" teams around baseball would tell you that guys who are "Three True Outcome" players are undervalued. And that if you're on a limited budget, the best bang for your buck is probably gonna be the guy whose gonna strike out 200 times over the course of the year, but will also hit 35 bombs.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Agreed with Mike

the “analytics nerds” constantly evolve their way of evaluating as the game style changes

For awhile the increase in strikeouts could be directly correlated to an increase in velocity from the pitchers. Didn’t have much to do with anything else tbh- it’s a trend that you can recognize pretty easily.

The game will be played at the highest level in the most efficient way the games parameters allow them to play. There is too much money involved for them not to do so. If they do something like deaden the baseball and move the mound back a little bit then the analytics people will adjust to find the most efficient players for that type of ballgame

Basically the analytics people don’t create change, the players and the rules/regulations do. The analytics guys adjust accordingly to that.

they don’t account for the human element of things but at the end of the day a lot of what the highly analytical teams do is simply just playing probabilities. You’re going to be right more often than you are wrong if you do it correctly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad