2021 HF Offseason Fantasy Draft: Discussion & Pre-Draft (part 1)

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Guys..
You lot changed my plans and my team structure to fit Griez.
Can't believe you all took a pass on him.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Yeah Griezmann dropping to the end of round 6 because of one bad season is ridiculous to be honest

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Dammit, Locatelli and Sabitzer going back to back has thrown a major wrench in my plans

I've thought about Griezmann in every round since the second, but I don't think he and Kane would work well together and so kept passing on him

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Griezmann may have only had one “bad” season, but I would say he hasn’t had a good season since he left Atleti. Good punt here, but I wasn’t going to change anything for him.

Surprised RB is being neglected. Still a few I could seeing getting grabbed soon.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Griezmann may have only had one “bad” season, but I would say he hasn’t had a good season since he left Atleti. Good punt here, but I wasn’t going to change anything for him.

Surprised RB is being neglected. Still a few I could seeing getting grabbed soon.
Not with the NT and Mbappe with him...

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I’ll pick after the game. If you want to trade up y’all can try.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Yeah Griezmann is good but he's been very average over two seasons with Barca away this point and he's 30. I think we've seen his best. I also considered taking him where I took Insigne but Insigne seems to be actually getting better.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I think there's still talent there, but he needs to leave Barça. Would be best for both sides really.
Yeah I should have added the caveat that I still think he was one of the best forwards left available. I just think it's an appropriate place for him to go at this time and that his best is behind him.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Well, he is having a much better season than Sadio Mane. And Mane doesn't have his pedigree.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Yeah I mean, Mane is having a bad season for sure. Though he's been world class the previous two so I don't know about not having the same pedigree. Griezmann is 2 seasons removed from being a WC player while this is Mane's first down season in a really weird year for the team (not an excuse for his individual performance). I'd say Mane is more likely to bounce back as he's also a year younger, but he could just as easily be past his best also.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Mane had two good seasons in his career (you can call them WC if you want, though 23 and 25 g+a isn't incredible either). Griez has a world class career. Last WC, he was key as well.
Heck, Mane's two world class seasons he had 23 and 25 g+a in league play. Never had more than 17 in his entire career in other seasons.
Griez this year has 19 with a game left.
His seasons at Atletico he had 23, 26, 24, 28, 24.
If you go all competitions (added bonus for Mane since he faces worse teams with the NT) and focus on goals (top 6 league), Mane's best seasons were : 30, 22, 22, 18, 16 (this year), 15, 13
Griezmann? : 40, 37, 29, 27, 26, 24 (this year), 16

Frankly, those numbers are quite telling. The pedigree is like a whole different class.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
In terms of assists in the last 7 years, Griez has 83, Mane 57.
Even if you focus on the last two seasons, which are the worst of Griez's career and includes the best Mane year :
Mane : 38G+18A
Griez : 40G+20A

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
You're also comparing a winger to a striker in a set-up where Griezmann was the #1 (and pretty much only) offensive threat versus a player who was never the focus of the offence, and played much deeper and as we all know stats don't tell the whole story. I never tried to say that Mane was better at his peak than Griezmann either just that Mane is coming off two consecutive WC seasons and has a down one under difficult circumstances while Griezmann has had two down seasons as soon as he left a set-up that was basically built around him. Mane previously never played for a top team and was still very good before that and elevated his level around other WC players. I just think being younger and only having had one down year makes him more likely to bounce back than Griezmann who is older and has had two down seasons in a row. I think it's just as likely they both never get back to their peaks again though. I don't think that Mane is a better pick overall than Griezmann here (depending on positional need obviously).

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
You're also comparing a winger to a striker in a set-up where Griezmann was the #1 (and pretty much only) offensive threat versus a player who was never the focus of the offence, and played much deeper and as we all know stats don't tell the whole story. I never tried to say that Mane was better at his peak than Griezmann either just that Mane is coming off two consecutive WC seasons and has a down one under difficult circumstances while Griezmann has had two down seasons as soon as he left a set-up that was basically built around him. Mane previously never played for a top team and was still very good before that and elevated his level around other WC players. I just think being younger and only having had one down year makes him more likely to bounce back than Griezmann who is older and has had two down seasons in a row. I think it's just as likely they both never get back to their peaks again though. I don't think that Mane is a better pick overall than Griezmann here (depending on positional need obviously).
Mane is clearly not a winger in Klopp's system. Those are your own words BTW.
Griez never played as lone striker at Atletico and plays wing at Barca. :dunno:
Again, you say Mane's last two seasons were WC and that Griez is struggling the last two, but check the numbers I gave. What you call Griez struggling (down season as a winger) like this year is close to what you call Mane's WC years (as an inside forward).

I didn't like the Mane pick when it happenned really but wouldn't be against it in this round. Meanwhile I feel like Griez was way past where he should have been picked.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Mane is clearly not a winger in Klopp's system. Those are your own words BTW.
Griez never played as lone striker at Atletico and plays wing at Barca. :dunno:
Again, you say Mane's last two seasons were WC and that Griez is struggling the last two, but check the numbers I gave. What you call Griez struggling (down season as a winger) like this year is close to what you call Mane's WC years (as an inside forward).

I didn't like the Mane pick when it happenned really but wouldn't be against it in this round. Meanwhile I feel like Griez was way past where he should have been picked.
Fair enough, I still think there's a difference between a wide forward and a striker (especially a striker who is the focal point of the offence) but that aside I don't think numbers tell the whole story. I think Griezmann was better in his prime, but I still think that he's been just okay the last two seasons (I don't think he was ever as bad as some Barca fans made him out to be). I think both picks would have been good this round, and I do think that Mane was taken too early (nothing personal SJS).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad