OT: 2021 Football Thread: Mock Draft SZN

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
I can see Wentz being dealt to a team like New England, and then here we go again.
Trading Wentz would result in $34 million (plus $10 million if not traded by mid-march) in dead cap for the Eagles. The Pats would then be on the hook for around $50 million over the next 2 years The Pats never even paid Brady that much. Not only that, the Eagles would be asking for a lot to take on such a huge amount of dead money. I just don't see it happening with the Pats - maybe the Colts or the Broncos.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Jets have a long established history of passing on hall of famers. Last time the Jets had the 2nd pick they passed on Anthony Munoz.

Edit: Forgot about the time they took Blair Thomas at 2 instead of Emmitt Smith.

I think you meant Orlando Pace not Munoz but I get your point

Deleted member 23124

Anyone catch Mark Cannizarro's article in the NY Post saying that Jets MUST hire Pederson?

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
A very hard NO to Doug Pederson coming here. I think Douglas will obviously give him a cursory interview but in the end, I think Douglas knows Pederson is not the direction the Jets are headed in.

My personal Top 5 rankings would be Brady, Daboll, Saleh, Arthur Smith and Bienemy

What I think the Douglas top 5 is right now, Daboll, Saleh, Wink Martindale, Brady, Arthur Smith.

I think it's going to come down to Daboll, Saleh or Martindale when all is said and done. Gun to my head...I say Daboll will be our next head coach.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
I think you meant Orlando Pace not Munoz but I get your point
Pace was in the 1997 draft where the Jets traded down from first overall (and then traded down again from 6 instead of drafting Walter Jones). Munoz was the 1980 draft where the Jets picked Lam Jones at 2 instead. It's not so bad, though. The Jets drafted Al Toon when Jerry Rice was available in 1985.

Deleted member 23124

A very hard NO to Doug Pederson coming here. I think Douglas will obviously give him a cursory interview but in the end, I think Douglas knows Pederson is not the direction the Jets are headed in.

My personal Top 5 rankings would be Brady, Daboll, Saleh, Arthur Smith and Bienemy

What I think the Douglas top 5 is right now, Daboll, Saleh, Wink Martindale, Brady, Arthur Smith.

I think it's going to come down to Daboll, Saleh or Martindale when all is said and done. Gun to my head...I say Daboll will be our next head coach.
Just saw report that Saleh is first brought back for second interview.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Anyone catch Mark Cannizarro's article in the NY Post saying that Jets MUST hire Pederson?

Yeah well Canizarro should put the bong down...friggen ridiculous suggestion. He should know better as he's been around the team for decades including when we hired Kotite.

This is not the time for a retread. We've been there done that. Thankfully Douglas I'm confident knows this as well and tho as I said, sure he'll bring Pederson in for an interview, it will just be cursory and nothing more than that.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Just saw report that Saleh is first brought back for second interview.

Yah read that as well. He's likely going to be in the final 3...he, Daboll and Martindale are my predictions as I said tho I'd love for it to be Joe Brady. I'm just afraid Douglas might think Brady a bit too green but hey, it's time for us to think outside the box and Brady would be a bold and exciting move.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Don't be surprised to see Saleh hired quickly as teams tend to not let guys get out the door if they truly love them.

Well if the Jets love Daboll which from all reports they do, they are going to have too wait. And if things go according to plan, Buffalo is going to win this weekend and play the Chiefs in what would be a hell of fun to watch AFC championship game. So it's going to be 2 weeks at least till Daboll would come in for his 2nd interview.

If Saleh likes the Jets, he's going to have to wait as well as no way Douglas is making a coaching decision until after the Super Bowl.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Well if the Jets love Daboll which from all reports they do, they are going to have too wait. And if things go according to plan, Buffalo is going to win this weekend and play the Chiefs in what would be a hell of fun to watch AFC championship game. So it's going to be 2 weeks at least till Daboll would come in for his 2nd interview.

If Saleh likes the Jets, he's going to have to wait as well as no way Douglas is making a coaching decision until after the Super Bowl.

Saleh won't wait for the Jets if another team offers him a job.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Saleh won't wait for the Jets if another team offers him a job.

Well if Saleh blows Douglas away when they meet, than you might be right and Douglas won't let him leave Florham Park withought the job. Tho I do like Brady and Daboll better, Saleh would work as far as what the Jets are trying to do.

Saleh would be perfectly acceptable to me and a very good hire no doubt as he would bring enthusiasm and good mojo to the Jets and he'd probably bring some solid assistants with him. One of them better be a QB whisperer and a solid offensive mind that's for dang sure!

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
Seems like everyone is taking their time since the first meetings were over Zoom, obviously just takes 1 team making the decision for the dam to break though.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Towards end of prior thread, there was a post noting a pundit -- forget if Kiper or Shay -- said NY might trade down + Darnold + for top 5ish + extra picks

Again no.
I have no prob moving Darnold for half decent value.
I don't care if our QB next season is

Darnold
or alternatuively
Flacco + a vet + a project

I have no prob trading our other picks up or down, or even possibly gambling on a 2o22 selection if the reward looks like its worth the risk.

But no on moving 2.
IT MUST be used on Sewell.
We MUST get a dominant LT

Becton alone is not enough.

Taking Sewell is the best foundation, build move we can make.

An extra selection or 2 even if late first or mid 2nd territory is not gonna get a likely guarantee HoF LT who has the best chance to dramatically improve total offense.
I would have considered strongly a likely exception in Namath endorsed Lawrence; I could see him as Namath ish 2.0, Montana lite w/a better arm.
But the rest of these guys, no,

Every year there are guys who are supposedly the next best thing, some have great arms, others don't.
It usually -- almost always -- takes time for guys w/the tools to get enough feel for how to execute in NFL under NFL conditions.

Get an immediate dif maker who can buy our QB -- whoever that is -- precious time.

That's the ticket and I'm sticking to it.

If Flacco is the Jets starting QB in 2021 then I’m going To lose my mind.

You either stick it out with Darnold or draft a QB.

I’m fine with Sewell, but I’m listening if someone wants to overpay.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY

They sound hot for Saleh, but ultimately I think they go for another offensive guy. They’ll either have another rookie qb or more likely Darnold to try and develop and that’s the most important piece to the roster. Daboll sounds like a Jets hire. Offensive guy coming off a great year and these AFC East teams love hiring from each other.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
If Flacco is the Jets starting QB in 2021 then I’m going To lose my mind.

You either stick it out with Darnold or draft a QB.

I’m fine with Sewell, but I’m listening if someone wants to overpay.

Above is reasonable, I am just emphasizing
these are 2 dif things.

1. Is the best value for 2oA Sewell, or is it overpay for the pick?
I am convinced taking Sewell is the way to go.
Not seeing how anyone can give us enough to even think about moving the pick.

2. Regardless of whether another QB is involved in the return, does Darnold + [any + but not including 2OA] = worth moving him?
If the answer to that is yes, then what is the go to?

Not looking to give Darnold away. Want what would be acceptable level of profit. Darnold is not a foundation piece, a building block like Sewell. He could be a stopgap, or he could be a functional turnkey. With Sewell + Becton + another quality add or two, could be vastly improved, but I'm not banking on that.

Now, if Darnold is gone, I am open to all kinds of stopgaps. Flacco does not command dibs on the slot, but taking into account how pitiful OL was, lack of weapons [esp WRs] most of the season, etc., he was acceptable. If he goes 1 yr for league min-ish, then he can be a vet who will let our project signal caller have some cushion.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Hey, here's a thought.

Yardbarker thru an affiliate says they are ambivalent about Tua Tag, enough to move on.
I prefer Darnold by a lot but ...

Darnold + SEA 2021 1st + reasonable add
for
TT + Miami 1st [3OA]

If we can sufficiently develop TT, who was held very high by some, great, or use as stopgap then repurpose at a discount.
In the meantime we get mo cap flex for a yr and
more importantly
get 3OA

Now I doubt the Jags would give us generational 1OA + for 2OA + 3OA.

So 2OA on Sewell
and either use 3OA or keep trading down repeatedly a few slots at a time

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Hey, here's a thought.

Yardbarker thru an affiliate says they are ambivalent about Tua Tag, enough to move on.

for
TT + Miami 1st [3OA]

If we can sufficiently develop TT, who was held very high by some, great, or use as stopgap then repurpose at a discount.
more importantly
get 3OA

So 2OA on Sewell

A lot of sources say the dolphins own team doesn’t think tt develops into more than a system qb. He doesn’t have velocity on his throws or really athletic play making. darnold has a higher ceiling, if he can fix his decisions.
This isn’t a mark Sanchez issue where he can’t read a coverage, it’s he knows what he’s doing is risky and making the throw into bad coverage most of the time. That’s fixable. Adding velocity to a throw isn’t.

Reactions: bernmeister

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
Hey, here's a thought.

for
TT + Miami 1st [3OA]

more importantly
get 3OA

So 2OA on Sewell
The "reasonable add" is going to be both of next year's 1sts (one of which is likely to be top 10 if not top 5) plus more picks. Either way, why would Miami swap their rookie QB for a QB that's shown nothing in 3 years in order to trade down 20 spots in the draft?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad