OT: 2021 Football Thread: Mock Draft SZN

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
At this point I'm on board with keeping Darnold. Not totally sure what to do with the pick--Sewell is obviously a great player but we've discussed the matter of having two guys that want to be paid like LTs--so who knows. I think Sewell is the pick unless someone makes a really great offer. I like the way Douglas has handled trades so I'm confident he'd get a good return, or if he keeps the pick, it's because the offers weren't good enough.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
The "reasonable add" is going to be both of next year's 1sts (one of which is likely to be top 10 if not top 5) plus more picks. Either way, why would Miami swap their rookie QB for a QB that's shown nothing in 3 years in order to trade down 20 spots in the draft?

Reasonable would not be anything near that.

btw, according to a source via MSN:
"Even if the Texans are willing to move him, other teams may not like the asking price. According to the team source, per Allbright, the Texans would need three first-round picks, three second-round picks and a Pro Bowl-caliber player to consider a deal.
If that’s the asking price, only the Miami Dolphins could afford to trade for Watson. Given the team they’ve already built, however, perhaps it might be the kind of move that makes them a Super Bowl contender."

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
At this point I'm on board with keeping Darnold. Not totally sure what to do with the pick--Sewell is obviously a great player but we've discussed the matter of having two guys that want to be paid like LTs--so who knows. I think Sewell is the pick unless someone makes a really great offer. I like the way Douglas has handled trades so I'm confident he'd get a good return, or if he keeps the pick, it's because the offers weren't good enough.

Ultimately it may hard to pay both top T $, + higher QB $, etc.
However, we can certainly do this for a couple of years with min pinching from other positions.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
Reasonable would not be anything near that.

btw, according to a source via MSN:
"Even if the Texans are willing to move him, other teams may not like the asking price. According to the team source, per Allbright, the Texans would need three first-round picks, three second-round picks and a Pro Bowl-caliber player to consider a deal.
If that’s the asking price, only the Miami Dolphins could afford to trade for Watson. Given the team they’ve already built, however, perhaps it might be the kind of move that makes them a Super Bowl contender."
Ignoring the question of why the Fins would want to swap Tua for Darnold, you're not moving from 23 to 3 with anything less than 2 future first rounders.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Ignoring the question of why the Fins would want to swap Tua for Darnold, you're not moving from 23 to 3 with anything less than 2 future first rounders.

You may be right, but I think Tua stock is way less than Sammy boy.
Darnold you can make the case he had no help almost the whole season, and when he did at the very end, he showed some improvement.

So they pay the 3 for former 3OA talent Darnold, adjusted for the balance of the deal.

Otherwise they ride w/Fitz as signal caller stopgap and then have to draft a new guy.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
I'm with you on Darnold not having much help but what improvement has he shown in 3 years to give up on a rookie recovering from an injury?

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I'm with you on Darnold not having much help but what improvement has he shown in 3 years to give up on a rookie recovering from an injury?

Let's be honest, he hasn't shown much but, being fair/tell it like it is, sure a good part of his shortcomings are on him, another is due to freakish 1x stuff like being out several games w/mono or whatev that was, and the rest is just complete eff up by the org.

I'm totally neutral on Darnold.
Keep him or deal him, whatev makes most sense.
But I don't want to roll dice with another signal caller as early as 2OA.
Some guy falls, yeah, okay, competition is a good thing.

Now if another team feels Darnold is not yet all that and a bag of chips, but is their best fit option in totality of circumstances, right deal that is profitable enough, I move him.

I'm not SURE there is a team that feels like that, but it wouldn't surprise me either.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Doubt Tua is going anywhere. He’s coming off hip surgery and a rookie. If the Phins look to move on already i’d say they draft another QB at #3.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
I like it. You never know but I like his fiery demeanor. Seems like a leader.

I'm with you....his enthusiasm will be contagious. He'll help fix the defense and he'll probably bring in Mike Lafleur to run the offense and try and fix Darnold if it's possible.

Tho I wanted Daboll as my top choice and Brady as my 2nd, Saleh was a very close 3rd and I'm very OK with this hire. I think Douglas got it right

Reactions: Barnaby

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
I'm with you....his enthusiasm will be contagious. He'll help fix the defense and he'll probably bring in Mike Lafleur to run the offense and try and fix Darnold if it's possible.

Tho I wanted Daboll as my top choice and Brady as my 2nd, Saleh was a very close 3rd and I'm very OK with this hire. I think Douglas got it right

Daboll and Brady weren't the "CEO" type the Jets were looking for. Saleh fits that bill plus his fiery demeanor. And he's also bringing Mike Lafleur over to be the OC and implement the Shanny offense.

Super stoked right now. Saleh was one of my top choices. Up there with Pederson, Brady, and Smith.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Daboll and Brady weren't the "CEO" type the Jets were looking for. Saleh fits that bill plus his fiery demeanor. And he's also bringing Mike Lafleur over to be the OC and implement the Shanny offense.

Super stoked right now. Saleh was one of my top choices. Up there with Pederson, Brady, and Smith.

Thank the good lord we didn't hire Pederson. That would have been very dissapointing as I didn't want a retread. But we don't have to worry about that. But yeah, I've always had confidence in Douglas from the get go. He gave me a really good vibe early on. And this faith in him has proved correct as I believe for the first time in a very very long time, the Jets are on the right track.

As I felt with Gorton when he first got the gig same with Douglas. We actually have a football guy who knows what the F he's doing. This hire of Saleh is just what the doctor ordered and what we needed.

Like you I'm pumped up. Let's nail the upcoming draft and we'll have hit a home run if not a grand slam and this hire of Saleh is just the start!

Reactions: zephyr

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Above is reasonable, I am just emphasizing
these are 2 dif things.

1. Is the best value for 2oA Sewell, or is it overpay for the pick?
I am convinced taking Sewell is the way to go.
Not seeing how anyone can give us enough to even think about moving the pick.

2. Regardless of whether another QB is involved in the return, does Darnold + [any + but not including 2OA] = worth moving him?
If the answer to that is yes, then what is the go to?

Not looking to give Darnold away. Want what would be acceptable level of profit. Darnold is not a foundation piece, a building block like Sewell. He could be a stopgap, or he could be a functional turnkey. With Sewell + Becton + another quality add or two, could be vastly improved, but I'm not banking on that.

Now, if Darnold is gone, I am open to all kinds of stopgaps. Flacco does not command dibs on the slot, but taking into account how pitiful OL was, lack of weapons [esp WRs] most of the season, etc., he was acceptable. If he goes 1 yr for league min-ish, then he can be a vet who will let our project signal caller have some cushion.

I don't agree with that. I am fine with Sewell and he'd be my pick at #2.

However, we've seen time again, that if a team identifies a guy as a future franchise QB and you get a couple teams in the bidding then teams have been known to wildly overpay at times. Again, no guarantee, but it's not hard to imagine a team or two falling for Wilson or Fields.

Reactions: nyr2k2

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
let's also remember if SD traded,
Rivers is a free agent

More likely to go to a contender if he doesn't return to Indy, or a comfy network job.

But not inconceivable 1 yr deal
w/w'o Darnold

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

It’s almost like the Jets didn’t want Saleh taking to other people. Who on here said that?

;)

Reactions: bernmeister

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Sounds like Darnold is staying. They’ll see if they can fix him in a Shanahan style offense.

Im down on him but I get it. There’s plenty of value in taking Sewell, or trading down for picks plus a WR. If darnold doesn’t work, you’ll be looking next year.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Saleh was one of the top guys that I wanted and the fact he is bringing the Shanahan offense here is a big deal. You want to talk about being able to run the ball effectively, this offense is just that. LaFleur brought it to Green Bay and look at what they are doing with Aaron Jones and those backs. Of course, they have Aaron Rodgers, but this offense has worked for the 49ers.

I'm also happy they are looking to keep Darnold. Let these coaches work with him. There was talk just two years ago that Rodgers looked done and now he's going to win MVP. That is the offense they are bringing in. Of course, Darnold is not Rodgers, but if this system is not for him, you move on and you can look for a QB after this season. Douglas and Saleh will get to bring in their QB and then it is on them to develop a young QB or bring in a veteran that can run the offense.

One other thing, he runs a 4-3. So the Jets are likely going to be switching schemes on defense. With it being one of the worst in the league, it's easier to make that move now.

Last edited:
Reactions: bernmeister

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
Thank the good lord we didn't hire Pederson. That would have been very dissapointing as I didn't want a retread. But we don't have to worry about that. But yeah, I've always had confidence in Douglas from the get go. He gave me a really good vibe early on. And this faith in him has proved correct as I believe for the first time in a very very long time, the Jets are on the right track.

As I felt with Gorton when he first got the gig same with Douglas. We actually have a football guy who knows what the F he's doing. This hire of Saleh is just what the doctor ordered and what we needed.

Like you I'm pumped up. Let's nail the upcoming draft and we'll have hit a home run if not a grand slam and this hire of Saleh is just the start!

Disagree. Pederson was high up on my list. He isn't a retread in the traditional sense. His only bad record was this past season going 4-11-1, and a lot of that was due to the front office being completely incompetent and also forcing Carson Wentz down his throat. If you read up on what exactly happened, Pederson was hardly to blame for that fiasco. I might have even preferred him over most other candidates because he has head coaching experience already and did well 4 out of his 5 seasons coaching the Eagles.

That said, definitely pumped and excited about Saleh and can't wait for the draft to get here indeed!

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
Disagree. Pederson was high up on my list. He isn't a retread in the traditional sense. His only bad record was this past season going 4-11-1, and a lot of that was due to the front office being completely incompetent and also forcing Carson Wentz down his throat. If you read up on what exactly happened, Pederson was hardly to blame for that fiasco. I might have even preferred him over most other candidates because he has head coaching experience already and did well 4 out of his 5 seasons coaching the Eagles.

That said, definitely pumped and excited about Saleh and can't wait for the draft to get here indeed!
I wasn't high on Pederson but how do the Eagles fire a coach who made the playoffs the last 3 years before this? Last time the Eagles had 4 wins they let Andy Reid go. I'm not suggesting any other similarities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->