Speculation: 2021 Expansion draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Because 3 defensemen + 5 forwards equals 8 skaters.

Karlsson and vlasic need to be protected, so the best that you can do then is 6 forwards and 2 defensemen protected. Which then means you are protecting a average 2nd liner or 3rd liner over the likes of burns.

Going the 8 skater route makes absolutely zero sense with this team unless the only plan is to lose 1 of the actual good players on the team for free.
But if you are going to only protect 3 D why wouldn’t you also protect 7 forwards?

Reactions: Patty Ice

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Man. All this talk about either Vlasic or Jones to the Kraken makes me nervous. I would take any Shark on that team other than Vlasic or Jones.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Don't see DW doing much but letting Seattle take what's available. Probably Dahlen or Balcers.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
No guarantee that Dahlen would report.

My guess is that if they want him, they will ask for permission to talk with him/agent to ensure he would negotiate a deal and report if selected.

Dahlen is an RFA. Seattle doesn't need permission to talk with him once they're open for business. There's no refusal to report when you don't have a contract.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Dahlen is a RFA without a NHL contract. He's under no obligation to report to any NHL city (as he has no contract).

I have heard nothing about his desires to play for the Sharks (in the future) or any other team, nor that he's requested his rights get traded.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Dahlen is an RFA. Seattle doesn't need permission to talk with him once they're open for business. There's no refusal to report when you don't have a contract.

Would you mind explaining this? I thought Dahlen was still Sharks property even though he is unsigned and also having not played enough games in the NHL would make him exempt from being exposed. As an RFA how can the Kraken talk to him?

I don't care much about the Kraken getting him one way or the other. If the dude does not show up for the Sharks who are trying to give him a fresh start, then why should any other team bother trying to get him.

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
Couture
Kane
Hertl
Meier
Labanc
Donato
Gambrell or Gregor

Karlsson
Vlasic
Burns

Not Jones

Seattle will take Simek or the guy who loses the battle for the 3C spot.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Couture
Kane
Hertl
Meier
Labanc
Donato
Gambrell or Gregor

Karlsson
Vlasic
Burns

Not Jones

Seattle will take Simek or the guy who loses the battle for the 3C spot.

Gregor is ineligible to be drafted - not enough pro experience.

Gambrell, Dahlen, Balcers, and True are the most interesting forwards eligible, along with UFA's Nieto, Sorensen, and Noesen.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
Man. All this talk about either Vlasic or Jones to the Kraken makes me nervous. I would take any Shark on that team other than Vlasic or Jones.

Its the only way to rid the franchise of this curse we acquired along with Thornton when DW sold the Sharks soul for the trade

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Would you mind explaining this? I thought Dahlen was still Sharks property even though he is unsigned and also having not played enough games in the NHL would make him exempt from being exposed. As an RFA how can the Kraken talk to him?

I don't care much about the Kraken getting him one way or the other. If the dude does not show up for the Sharks who are trying to give him a fresh start, then why should any other team bother trying to get him.

Dahlen is still Sharks property but he was only offered the QO that was never signed so he's still an RFA. He's not exempt from being exposed because he's played more than two professional seasons. He merely doesn't qualify as the two required forwards that each team needs to expose that have met the games played threshold. They can still take him and sign him or they can take him and continue to let him play in Europe because they don't want what else is available off our list. It's up to them. Sometimes, teams just take chances even if they're long odds because the other options aren't all that good either.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Dahlen is still Sharks property but he was only offered the QO that was never signed so he's still an RFA. He's not exempt from being exposed because he's played more than two professional seasons. He merely doesn't qualify as the two required forwards that each team needs to expose that have met the games played threshold. They can still take him and sign him or they can take him and continue to let him play in Europe because they don't want what else is available off our list. It's up to them. Sometimes, teams just take chances even if they're long odds because the other options aren't all that good either.
Ah gotcha. Thanks for explaining. I thought the two professional seasons was specific to the US but having played in Sweden he meets that requirement.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
If I had a say I would literally protect zero defensemen (i assume Mario doesn't need to be).

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
Why do we have to protect EK65? Because he would never open his NMC for Kraken? Monstrosity of a contract... Yet Pavs has 14 points in 7 games.....................
Yes, on an actual good team, while Karlsson is playing with either scrubs or top-6ers who have already given up on the season.

I hate having to justify picking Karlsson over my favorite player of all-time, but context is important.

Reactions: themelkman

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Goalies... with how Jones has played, pretty sure they will expose him. How big a package might DW have to dangle to get Seattle to bite? My guess is too much. Have to wonder if Sharks might buyout Jones if he doesn't get selected.

Defense. Unless they can talk Pickles into waiving his NMC, my guess is they'll expose Burns and either hope the contract is more than Seattle wants to pay, or do a deal to protect him. (However, if Simek's knee continues to be a concern, they may expose him instead. Risk, reward)

Forwards. Pretty much on track.

We're a month from TDL. Might be interesting to see if DW trades extras, pending UFAs to contenders and what the return might be. Sharks are near roster # max, after Blichfeld claim, so would need to send net contracts out, or in/out equality.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I think there's a chance we can entice Seattle to take Jones.

I think there's a chance but I don't think DW will do it. I think the buyout is more realistic than a trade for either Jones or Vlasic. And probably just Jones because a 10 year payout might be a hard sell to Hasso.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I think there's a chance but I don't think DW will do it. I think the buyout is more realistic than a trade for either Jones or Vlasic. And probably just Jones because a 10 year payout might be a hard sell to Hasso.
Would you go the route of enticing Seattle to take Jones (in addition to say a second round pick or a solid prospect) and buying out Vlasic? I honestly don't know what goalies will be available for Seattle. Maybe Jake Allen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad