Speculation: 2021 Expansion draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Munnyro

Jul 15, 2013
Sacramento, CA
Vegas went almost exclusively after people in the 24-29 range. All short-ish contracts with a few exceptions but some of those were traded away. I imagine Seattle will do the same.

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
First non sharks one that actually does it right for us. Ive seen people who think the sharks are just begging to give away Dahlen or Donato which both make no sense
Dahlen is only going to get protected if, after the season is over in Sweden, he comes to San Jose and shows he is willing and able to contribute in North America. Otherwise, whichever young forward has the best year will get the last slot. Donato is going to be protected unless he has a horrible year.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Sharks hold his RFA rights until he is 27 (as a defected player).

Nominally RFAs have to be signed by 12/1 to play in the NHL during the season. But who knows what the deal with be this year WRT critical dates.
I’m sure that’s right around the time he’ll be ready to come to the US again. :sarcasm:

Reactions: Sandisfan

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Dahlen is only going to get protected if, after the season is over in Sweden, he comes to San Jose and shows he is willing and able to contribute in North America. Otherwise, whichever young forward has the best year will get the last slot. Donato is going to be protected unless he has a horrible year.
I dont see either of True or Gambrell showing they have any more potential than Dahlen so Im just going to assume hes protected.

Reactions: Reggae Shark

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
We're losing Ferraro or Burns right?

Ferraro is not eligible to be selected.

Karlsson and Vlasic must be protected (unless they waive). Burns, Simek, and Middleton are eligible. Ferraro, Merkley, and Knyzhov are not eligible.

Best guess, Karlsson, Vlasic, and Burns are protected and Simek is a prime candidate to be picked.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Ferraro is not eligible to be selected.

Karlsson and Vlasic must be protected (unless they waive). Burns, Simek, and Middleton are eligible. Ferraro, Merkley, and Knyzhov are not eligible.

Best guess, Karlsson, Vlasic, and Burns are protected and Simek is a prime candidate to be picked.
I could also see Gambrell getting taken since there will probably be a ton of defense available that are at least a similar level to Simek and Gambrell is a hometown kid and could be marketed pretty easily. I think we lose Simek, Gambrell or another forward with a small contract.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Ferraro is EXEMPT from expansion draft.

2021 Expansion Draft - my notes on expansion. (I need to update with some recent acquisitions)
Question for you about this. I saw the 8 skaters thing at the bottom. If they’re protecting only 3 D why would they only protect 5 forwards? Sorry if this comes off snappy or something not meant to be. Just curious what the reasoning would be there.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Question for you about this. I saw the 8 skaters thing at the bottom. If they’re protecting only 3 D why would they only protect 5 forwards? Sorry if this comes off snappy or something not meant to be. Just curious what the reasoning would be there.

Because 3 defensemen + 5 forwards equals 8 skaters.

Karlsson and vlasic need to be protected, so the best that you can do then is 6 forwards and 2 defensemen protected. Which then means you are protecting a average 2nd liner or 3rd liner over the likes of burns.

Going the 8 skater route makes absolutely zero sense with this team unless the only plan is to lose 1 of the actual good players on the team for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad