Speculation: 2021 Expansion draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Unless the Sharks sign or trade for another player before the expansion draft that they plan on exposing, I would think the exposed players of interest would be some mix of:

Jones
Burns
Simek
Kellman (assume he plays 40 games this season)

The Kraken should really only be interested in Simek in that list. There is a Kellman like player on every team. I wouldn't touch Jones at all. I wouldn't mind Burns to be honest but would still want some sweetener attached given his age and contract.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Unless the Sharks sign or trade for another player before the expansion draft that they plan on exposing, I would think the exposed players of interest would be some mix of:

Jones
Burns
Simek
Kellman (assume he plays 40 games this season)

The Kraken should really only be interested in Simek in that list. There is a Kellman like player on every team. I wouldn't touch Jones at all. I wouldn't mind Burns to be honest but would still want some sweetener attached given his age and contract.

Kellman is exempt and the Sharks need two forwards that meet the minimum requirements.

Reactions: Red Light Lover

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Kellman is exempt and the Sharks need two forwards that meet the minimum requirements.
Ah given his age, I did not think Kellman was on an ELC.

Also, I didnt list those names as a comprehensive list of players who would be exposed. More or less players that either the Sharks want to see moved or players the Kraken are likely to pick up.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I get that we will free up 7 mil in cap space. I think more important to the owners though, we would reduce REAL dollars by $5,597,222. That’s a huge win for the current climate.

Compliance buy-outs would save the owners money while revenues are deflated due to COVID. They make smaller payments over a longer period of time. You can almost consider it like refinancing. It is much easier for an organization to pay 1.65 million per year for the next 10 years, than it is to pay 7.5 million this year while revenues are down.

Saving money today is exactly what many teams are looking to do. We all know revenues are going to recover. We know Seattle is going to increase league wide intake. We know the new TV deal is going to pay better too. The only question marks are the next few seasons.

Compliance buy-outs would be a huge win for the owners.

I get where you are coming from, but at the same time, its not really saving money. And this is obviously all dependent on the team still trying to compete and how they fill the team.

But if the compliance buyout is used on vlasic, then his spot on the roster needs to be replaced. And if we are buying out vlasic to gain more cap space to make the team better, then the odds are that the team wìll then use up the entire 7 million they just bought out on other areas of the team. So now the owner is paying 9 million on 7 million worth of roster space.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I get where you are coming from, but at the same time, its not really saving money. And this is obviously all dependent on the team still trying to compete and how they fill the team.

But if the compliance buyout is used on vlasic, then his spot on the roster needs to be replaced. And if we are buying out vlasic to gain more cap space to make the team better, then the odds are that the team wìll then use up the entire 7 million they just bought out on other areas of the team. So now the only is paying 9 million on 7 million worth of roster space.

This is true but the reason a team would do this is if they thought doing this would be the difference between making and missing the playoffs or making a run in the playoffs that would generate more revenue for them. Right now, there's still a little over 34 million on Vlasic's contract to be potentially bought out next season. If he is still the drizzling shits of a player and the team can get complete cap relief for it then they absolutely should do it. The Sharks would still end up shelling out a little over 25 million to buy Vlasic out over 10 years. I think they would absolutely do it in a compliance scenario. Turning Vlasic's garbage contract into a 1.8 mil yearly payout with the bonuses sprinkled in there to free up 7 million that could turn your team into a playoff team with the right moves would be very much worth it. I don't think they'll ever do a regular buyout of him given his contract but maybe there's enough after next season to convince themselves to do it. Paul Martin's buyout saved them 2.8 mil but they've never had one that hung on the books for so long.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
This is true but the reason a team would do this is if they thought doing this would be the difference between making and missing the playoffs or making a run in the playoffs that would generate more revenue for them. Right now, there's still a little over 34 million on Vlasic's contract to be potentially bought out next season. If he is still the drizzling shits of a player and the team can get complete cap relief for it then they absolutely should do it. The Sharks would still end up shelling out a little over 25 million to buy Vlasic out over 10 years. I think they would absolutely do it in a compliance scenario. Turning Vlasic's garbage contract into a 1.8 mil yearly payout with the bonuses sprinkled in there to free up 7 million that could turn your team into a playoff team with the right moves would be very much worth it. I don't think they'll ever do a regular buyout of him given his contract but maybe there's enough after next season to convince themselves to do it. Paul Martin's buyout saved them 2.8 mil but they've never had one that hung on the books for so long.

Oh i know why a team would (still would,could not see wilson using it on him though). Even though i hope he does.

Just saying it does not save the owners any actual money if the plan is to use that money to make the team better.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Oh i know why a team would (still would,could not see wilson using it on him though). Even though i hope he does.

Just saying it does not save the owners any actual money if the plan is to use that money to make the team better.

Yeah, saving it is probably not the right way to put it but a hypothetically more profitable move? Yeah, likely in the case of Vlasic if they could turn that money around into some good players to recoup the money lost in playoff revenue.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
2021 Expansion Draft

If I have my calculations correct, Jones would be exposed as goalie, one of Burns or Simek would be exposed as defenseman.

NO forwards have the required experience and contract status (excluding Couture, Hertl, Kane, Labanc, Meier) to be exposed. (Now, the Sharks can sign two forwards to a contract extension so they could be exposed, but no one is there currently.)

Mafoofoo

Jawesome
Jul 3, 2010
Laguna Beach
We could trade Vlasic to Toronto for picks and some of their mid tier dmen to expose.

Since they’re addicted to poaching our legends we just need to convince them Vlasic is one of our most storied and beloved legends on defense.

Reactions: Sandisfan

seroes

May 3, 2016
California
We could trade Vlasic to Toronto for picks and some of their mid tier dmen to expose.

Since they’re addicted to poaching our legends we just need to convince them Vlasic is one of our most storied and beloved legends on defense.
Let's get him and Karlsson to switch jerseys and the entire team to wear Darth Vader masks so no one can see their faces. Maybe show Vlassics bed sheets having Toronto covers.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017

I mean, technically he is, no?

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Sounds like the GM's and league are proposing changes to the expansion draft with all that is going on.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Sounds like the GM's and league are proposing changes to the expansion draft with all that is going on.

At a minimum, they need to change the experience to be "half of regular season games" for most recent season. (IOW, 82 game season -> 40 games experience. 48 game season ----> 24 games played? 60 -> 30?)

But I can't see the exemptions being changed, nor the contract/QOd requirements.

Reactions: themelkman

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
At a minimum, they need to change the experience to be "half of regular season games" for most recent season. (IOW, 82 game season -> 40 games experience. 48 game season ----> 24 games played? 60 -> 30?)

But I can't see the exemptions being changed, nor the contract/QOd requirements.
As a Kraken fan, I actually prefer the changes not being enforced but for the 30 teams involved, I think it makes it tough.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Recent article (I didn't save url) suggested that Dylan Gambrel be the player the Kraken select.

He's a pending RFA next summer. Has 50 games of experience in 2019-20 season.

Unknown what the "games played experience" will be with the truncated 2019-20 season and drastically shortened/compressed (2020-)2021 season. (May be announced as part of negotiations for 2021 season plans.)

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
Recent article (I didn't save url) suggested that Dylan Gambrel be the player the Kraken select.

He's a pending RFA next summer. Has 50 games of experience in 2019-20 season.

Unknown what the "games played experience" will be with the truncated 2019-20 season and drastically shortened/compressed (2020-)2021 season. (May be announced as part of negotiations for 2021 season plans.)
I read that article, and it was based on the premise that Gambrell has a scoring playstyle but has been buried in the Sharks depth. It is completely unaware that the Sharks did everything possible in the preseason last year to make him a top 6 winger.

If they take him, it is because they think they can turn his AHL production into NHL production, but anyone who has seen him play in the NHL should be able to tell that isn't happening without some major mental shift.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
True is the better selection for an AHL guy imo. He played near and has the skills to be a 4c
While I agree that True is the better player overall, I think Gambrell would be the better pick there (if they aren’t going Simek which I still think happens). Gambrell is younger and has a higher ceiling. Yes he’s less likely to hit that ceiling but True won’t be anything more than a 4th liner.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
While I agree that True is the better player overall, I think Gambrell would be the better pick there (if they aren’t going Simek which I still think happens). Gambrell is younger and has a higher ceiling. Yes he’s less likely to hit that ceiling but True won’t be anything more than a 4th liner.

True is actually almost a year younger than Gambrell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad