Speculation: 2021 Expansion draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I wonder if DW tries to swing any deals with Seattle

Historically, the Sharks have done deals to protect players (Atlanta, Minnesota expansion). But that was before DW.

Yes, the Sharks might be able to get an asset for those forwards I listed, but how many teams HAVE THE CAP SPACE to acquire a $5-8m player? (Or would be willing to use it?)

With a flat cap, it might be "worth" it to lose a good guy and his cap hit, rather than having to retain salary and trade away an asset to get relief.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Historically, the Sharks have done deals to protect players (Atlanta, Minnesota expansion). But that was before DW.

Yes, the Sharks might be able to get an asset for those forwards I listed, but how many teams HAVE THE CAP SPACE to acquire a $5-8m player? (Or would be willing to use it?)

With a flat cap, it might be "worth" it to lose a good guy and his cap hit, rather than having to retain salary and trade away an asset to get relief.

If all they’re looking to do is a new 3C and a new goalie, I don’t think they need to do anything to create the cap space needed for such acquisitions. Just ride it out another year including keeping Jones on the books but burying him in the minors.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
If you’re trading Meier in his prime, it’s not to get rid of Vlasic or Jones. For one, no one in the league that Vlasic would waive for can absorb taking on both of those contracts. Secondly, trading Meier signals a longer rebuild/reset meaning it’s not imperative to just offload a contract just for the sake of cap space that’s not going to get used to be competitive. You’d basically be wasting an asset in Meier to accumulate more cap space for a rebuild. Doesn’t make a lot of sense to move a top 2-3 asset in your organization for cap space during a rebuild when said asset can be used for real assets for the rebuild.

I’m not against trading Meier, but it’s got to be in a deal that nets you a sum of picks and prospects or a young center.
The premise to trade Meier as an enticement to move one of the albatros contracts is just bad management.
I am curious if you feel Vlasic playing on the 3rd pairing is holding someone back or if you feel he is no longer an NHL-level defenseman? His numbers since moving down to the third pair have been good and IMO so has the eye test.
I don't know what the advanced stats say but he looked passable on the 3rd pair in the 2nd half but he'll probably need to be paired with a puck mover to get out of his own end from here on out. His passing is awful. Him and Simek were regularly hemmed in their own zone. Some of that could be the forwards they were matched with though (3rd & 4th lines?).
Protect Donato, pay Kraken to not take Balcers. I really want to protect him but I think Wilson goes with Gambrell.
Considering DW called out the spot that Gambrell played all season as a position that needed to be addressed (upgraded) in the off season I seriously doubt Gamby is protected.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kat Predator

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
7 forwards, kane, couture, meier, labanc, donato, balcers, hertl. Why are we wasting assets to keep balcers and donato unprotected? Why not just protect them and let the kraken taken the player that does not move the needle either way.
I wonder if he would leave Labanc unprotected just to clear salary? Balcers and Barabanov can both play at Labanc level for the most part it seems and are much cheaper.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
I can see an argument for Burns but Labanc and Meier would be insane.
Theres no point in saving money to pay worse players
With Labanc I think it depends on if GMs feel he's over paid on his contract like the people here. If the Sharks feel he is easily replaceable from within for much cheaper I could see them letting him go to release some pressure on their cap situation. Would be better to move him and get something out of it though if they can. Even if it's to entice a team to take Vlasic or Jones with retention that would be better. We don't know just how difficult these talks are going for DW with other GMs right now. He sure seemed optimistic in his season ending presser but I guess we'll see.
Losing Meier or Labanc for nothing is awful asset management...I wouldn't even expose Kane to be honest. Exposing Burns is an option assuming no trade can be made though...
Exposing Kane would be dumb on all levels. One of the only guys playing at or likely above his contracts worth and currently the best or 2nd best forward on the team. Maybe if he's planning to void his contract? :huh: Let him void it with Seattle then resign with the Sharks where he's happy? :naughty:

That goes against Wilson's stated goal for next season though?

Last edited:

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
I wonder if he would leave Labanc unprotected just to clear salary? Balcers and Barabanov can both play at Labanc level for the most part it seems and are much cheaper.
Balcers career high is 17 points. Barabanov hasn’t proven anything. This hyperbole about Labanc is ridiculous.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Balcers career high is 17 points. Barabanov hasn’t proven anything. This hyperbole about Labanc is ridiculous.
Labanc also had fantastic advanced stats this year. Second best WAR on the team after Hertl. His defense is brutal yes, but his offense more than makes up for it.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Hyberbole? What part of that is hyperbole? I don't want to give Labanc away for free but they may not have a whole lot of options. Balcers plays a better 200 foot game than Labanc already and so does Barabanov. Balcers is being groomed to PK also. Barabanov isn't some rookie out of junior. He's played in numerous international tournaments against NHL players and did very well in the KHL. His talent and capabilities were on full display in his couple week stint. What's ridiculous is not being able to tell that he already plays a more mature, intelligent game than Labanc. And he's a lot cheaper which the Sharks need. On a competitive team, Labanc should be a 3rd liner. He costs too much for this team with their cap situation. They have a bunch of potential 3rd line players coming up thru the system right now which makes Labanc expendable IMO. If he can be part of a package to bring back and center or to help move Vlasic or Jones... wonderful. If not, the cap space to address other holes may be deemed worth the loss of his replaceable contributions.

Last edited:

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Looking at CapFriendly's simulator, we don't have all that many options at the moment. Under the rules we must leave 2 out of Couture, Kane, Labanc, Meier, and Hertl exposed. We must leave either Simek or Burns exposed. And we must leave either Jones or Korenar exposed.

I don't see Seattle having any interest in helping us out in the expansion draft either.

If we expose Jones, Burns, Couture and Labanc, then we force Seattle to decide to either take Labanc or a flyer on a younger guy like Gambrell (say, if he's not protected). I can't imagine there is a GM anywhere who has any interest in Jones, and I don't think Seattle would be very interested in Couture or Burns given their contracts, term, age, and (for Couture) injury history.

PS: The curveball in all this is whether there is another team that likes someone we leave exposed. Seattle could nab an exposed Shark solely to trade that player/contract to a third party for some other package. So someone out there might really be high on, say, Christian Jaros and be willing to work a side deal to trade a prospect and/or draft pick to Seattle in exchange.

Last edited:
Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Looking at CapFriendly's simulator, we don't have all that many options at the moment. Under the rules we must leave 2 out of Couture, Kane, Labanc, Meier, and Hertl exposed. We must leave either Simek or Burns exposed. And we must leave either Jones or Korenar exposed.

None of those forwards will be exposed. Sharks will resign Gambrell and probably Nieto to serve as exposure fodder.

Simek or Burns (likely Simek) will also be exposed.

thrillermiller89

Jan 19, 2010
San Jose

Since Doug is keeping the core together my only guess if there’s a deal to be made is maybe Jones and our 2022 2nd for future considerations.

thrillermiller89

Jan 19, 2010
San Jose
The premise to trade Meier as an enticement to move one of the albatros contracts is just bad management.

I don't know what the advanced stats say but he looked passable on the 3rd pair in the 2nd half but he'll probably need to be paired with a puck mover to get out of his own end from here on out. His passing is awful. Him and Simek were regularly hemmed in their own zone. Some of that could be the forwards they were matched with though (3rd & 4th lines?).

Considering DW called out the spot that Gambrell played all season as a position that needed to be addressed (upgraded) in the off season I seriously doubt Gamby is protected.
Agreed. DW literally called Gambrell a 4th line center.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
I’m guessing if DW makes a deal it’s something like Donato included to make Seattle take Simek or something like that. I think Simek is gone one way or another this offseason along with Donato so sending them both to Seattle to assure yourself you get rid of some money on Simek makes sense. Not sure Donato’s trade market is going to be lively given everyone in the league knows he’s probably going to be unqualified after the expansion draft.

Reactions: themelkman

DisbeliefInDW

May 12, 2021
I’m guessing if DW makes a deal it’s something like Donato included to make Seattle take Simek or something like that. I think Simek is gone one way or another this offseason along with Donato so sending them both to Seattle to assure yourself you get rid of some money on Simek makes sense. Not sure Donato’s trade market is going to be lively given everyone in the league knows he’s probably going to be unqualified after the expansion draft.

Losing Simek would be a pretty big blow, so I doubt they're also going to give up something to take him even if they are just letting him go regardless. Seattle probably takes him for free if they protect burns over him.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Losing Simek would be a pretty big blow, so I doubt they're also going to give up something to take him even if they are just letting him go regardless. Seattle probably takes him for free if they protect burns over him.
Oft-injured 3rd pairing D-Men that don’t bring any offense and are signed for 3 more years at $2.25 million a year aren’t highly sought after when the cap situation means you can get a guy like that for half the cost and none of the term.

Reactions: Patty Ice

sharks_dynasty

Oct 25, 2006
San Jose, CA
Oft-injured 3rd pairing D-Men that don’t bring any offense and are signed for 3 more years at $2.25 million a year aren’t highly sought after when the cap situation means you can get a guy like that for half the cost and none of the term.
Hence why they added more defensemen like Jaros.

DisbeliefInDW

May 12, 2021

Pretty reasonable deal IMO. Definitely the last contract the Sharks should be worried about getting rid of. The offense thing doesn't matter when you have 2(possibly 3) defenseman that ONLY bring offense. Balances out if you go that route. Also is the only defenseman other than Dillon in the last 10+ years that remembers hockey is a physical game. You win cups with guys like Simek, not with Burns. You apparently can't get a guy like that unless its a Schenn or Bogosian at half the cost, since the Sharks haven't done so, again, in 10+ years.

Prout and Pateryn don't count.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
You can’t fault them for trying to find potential good defensemen that could replace Simek at a low price.

The funny thing about Simek is the Sharks record has been substantially better with him in the lineup versus when he was out. Circumstantial perhaps, but my sense is he does things that do not show up on the score sheet (or perhaps are recognized by hockey fans) that contribute significantly.

seroes

May 3, 2016
California

I honestly think that's that's good thing for it occurs. But Seattle will likely have better options from around the league than Simek.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad