Confirmed with Link: 2021 Expansion Draft (Haydn Fleury selected from Anaheim)

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Jones may be more effective now but I doubt that’s the case medium to long term.

Curious to know your reason for optimism in Steel. He seems to have regressed since his rookie year and Jones has arguably shown some signs of growth since his.

Imo Steel vs Jones you protect Steel. He plays the more important position. He actually out produced Jones and he has more upside. Jones definitely found a role this year but its a bottom 6 winger. Steel is a bottom 6 center with upside to be more.

DavidBL is spot on.

Jones is a player that some fans love because of the energy, but he's being overrated here. Some players are like that, loved by the fans. Cogliano comes to mind - though he was much better as a shutdown forward than Jones' is likely to ever be. Jones has shown no ability to finish or generate offense - he's a nice energy guy. Those are a dime a dozen.

At the same time, people are underrating Steel who has disappointed. But at his worst, Steel is a 4th line two-way center who is VERY good at faceoffs and can play on the second PP. He's that already. And I see Steel as the type of guy who will generate more offense if/when the Ducks put more talent around him (could be wrong).

If Seattle takes Jones, I'd consider that a victory for the Ducks since there's so little upside in his game.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Stephens projecting they will go 4 and 4...

Rakell
Terry
Jones
Lundestrom
Manson
Fluery
Fowler
Lindholm

Gibson

Postseason Ducks expansion draft projection: Debating the players on the protection bubble

I messaged him on Twitter a few months ago telling him this is what I thought and if he agreed. He told me that was a pretty accurate guess based on what he knew/thought. About to bitch at him for not citing me as a source in his article.

for you ES defenders, I’m obviously joking. Keep your shit together

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
I think people are selling Jones a bit short here. I agree that he’s not going to be much more than what he is. However what he is now is something our team needs more of, not less. Physical players who aren’t scrubs is a pretty big need to me. I realize that Steel has a higher ceiling but it seems like people are just nervous about a repeat of the WK situation more than anything.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
I don't think it would sit well with Gibby, upcoming UFA's, Free Agent market, etc.
Also, think about last seasons Red Wings. Tanked hard, were clearly the worst team and got to pick only 4th.
I hear what you are saying but we could easily load up in free agency on middle 6 forward types on shorter term contracts that we could move at the tdl if we are out of it. Get another first out of a guy like fowler and then try to trade up into the top 10.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Im curious if people here think we could trade steel and our 2nd to move up in the draft to a pick around 15ish. Seems like he could be a nice, cheap option for a team with cap issues. Like Edmonton. We dont really know what we have in Steel just yet and maybe a team takes a chance on him.

405Entrance

Feb 8, 2020
Im curious if people here think we could trade steel and our 2nd to move up in the draft to a pick around 15ish. Seems like he could be a nice, cheap option for a team with cap issues. Like Edmonton. We dont really know what we have in Steel just yet and maybe a team takes a chance on him.
Who are you targeting if that does happen ? You hoping a guy like lambos falls that low ?

Reactions: Getz2noone

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland

I don't think that Steel is enough to make a team trade their mid round pick for him and a 2nd.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
I think people are selling Jones a bit short here. I agree that he’s not going to be much more than what he is. However what he is now is something our team needs more of, not less. Physical players who aren’t scrubs is a pretty big need to me. I realize that Steel has a higher ceiling but it seems like people are just nervous about a repeat of the WK situation more than anything.

Jones is easily replaced, either by one of the many candidates in the ducks system or a low cost UFA.

And Jones is a decent sized guy, but not all that physical. He doesn't have a ton of hits (about 2 per game) and doesn't fight. He does go to the net - but doesn't score (as opposed to a player like Comtois who does). So there's that.

I think Jones is getting his due around here. And all other things being equal, I'd like to have him on the ducks. But they have to lose someone in the expansion draft and I'd rather lose Jones then Steel or even Volkov.

TopShelfWaterBottle

Registered
Mar 16, 2014
Jones is the only one to muck it up after the whistle. Bob is old school he likes his thorns in the side. Couple years ago he went public with frustration that nobody fought someone after a duck got hurt. Same principle

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I wonder what the cost to protect Jones after list is set would be.

I’ve always hoped Jones could become a cal clutterbuck type…. Jones is more athletic, bigger and better at hockey…. If he could just play with that same attitude of clutterbuck I’d be stoked.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I wonder what the cost to protect Jones after list is set would be.

I’ve always hoped Jones could become a cal clutterbuck type…. Jones is more athletic, bigger and better at hockey…. If he could just play with that same attitude of clutterbuck I’d be stoked.
I like that line of thinking.
Because If they protect Steel over Jones it won't cost much at all to make Seattle not pick Jones given his lack of upside. Seattle would probably take Volkov, Milano or Mahura and be OK with a free 4th or 3rd from Anaheim for not picking Jones.

Seattle probably sees more in Steel due to coaching him away from being a grinder and can experiment with him at LW.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Jones is one of the lowest hockey iq players to ever put a ducks jersey on....and I still take him over Steel.

JohnnyDrama

Oct 4, 2017
Why would a team like the Ducks with basically no tantalizing players to choose from consider trading additional assets to protect bottom 6 tweeners? Did we learn nothing from last time? Let them take one of Steel Volkov or whoever else and call it a day…they can only take one player and it really won’t make a difference

DigiDuck

More covfefe please.
Jan 11, 2019
Burbank
Murray probably views Jones as a playoff performer in the future when we ever get back there - he'll score the dirty goals and not shy away from the post whistle shenanigans. For once he's forward thinking!

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Jones is the only one to muck it up after the whistle. Bob is old school he likes his thorns in the side. Couple years ago he went public with frustration that nobody fought someone after a duck got hurt. Same principle

Murray probably views Jones as a playoff performer in the future when we ever get back there - he'll score the dirty goals and not shy away from the post whistle shenanigans. For once he's forward thinking!

Are we watching the same player? What I see most of the time is Jones skating away from skirmishes, usually with his head down - awful body language actually. I think his minor league suspensions have actually reduced his aggressiveness/effectiveness.

He has 2 fighting majors in 135 NHL games.

Max Jones

If he's a pest, then he's a bad one.

In terms of scoring dirty goals, maybe he does that. But not very often.

I do agree Murray seems to love the guy. It will probably result in another bad expansion draft decision.

Reactions: Paul4587

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Jones is easily replaced, either by one of the many candidates in the ducks system or a low cost UFA.

And Jones is a decent sized guy, but not all that physical. He doesn't have a ton of hits (about 2 per game) and doesn't fight. He does go to the net - but doesn't score (as opposed to a player like Comtois who does). So there's that.

I think Jones is getting his due around here. And all other things being equal, I'd like to have him on the ducks. But they have to lose someone in the expansion draft and I'd rather lose Jones then Steel or even Volkov.

hard for me to agree with any of this when most are choosing to protect Steel over Jones. Not sure what Steel has done to be prioritized over Jones.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
hard for me to agree with any of this when most are choosing to protect Steel over Jones. Not sure what Steel has done to be prioritized over Jones.

It is more the upside. Jones is never going to be a top 6 forward.
Steel has the potential if the Ducks were not pressing him to be a grinder.

I don't know why it matters. I seriously doubt Seattle would take Jones. I see no way they take him over guys with way more upside (Volkov, Mahura, Steel).

wraparound

May 17, 2014
It is more the upside. Jones is never going to be a top 6 forward.
Steel has the potential if the Ducks were not pressing him to be a grinder.

I don't know why it matters. I seriously doubt Seattle would take Jones. I see no way they take him over guys with way more upside (Volkov, Mahura, Steel).

this part right here. they’ll pick Mahura.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad