Confirmed with Link: 2021 Expansion Draft (Haydn Fleury selected from Anaheim)

Status
Not open for further replies.

405Entrance

Feb 8, 2020
People are acting like hughes is gonna play next year. Fowler is still valuable to us. I understand the sentiment but we need him still. If his value raises then we should consider it next year.

Bergey37

May 19, 2019
For all of you who are so anxious to lose Rico, even for nothing in the ED, consider this:

We have four (4) top-6 forwards - Rakell, Rico, Comtois and Zegras. The latter two aren't even proven yet, but we all know they'll be there. Getzlaf is done. Silf could very well go all Kesler on us after hip surgery. Terry still has to learn how to play with his linemates; his flashes of brilliance have been largely individual effort. Other than that, he's mostly a follower. Rico is the only guy he's found some chemistry with.

So if you flush Rico for nothing or whatever magic beans you might get in a trade (you're NOT going to get a comparable player at a lower salary), you're left with three top-6 caliber guys, two of which are basically rookies. That's not a good way to move forward.

I don't know what the problems in the room are, but I feel pretty confident that Rico is not the source. He didn't get waived because of that; he was waived because he pissed BM off by putting CBJ on his no trade list, AND because there was zero chance he'd be picked up in a cap-strapped league. He was the safest messenger for a message that had to be sent.

Rico played well for us after he got back in the lineup. He was like -13 when he was waived, he finished at -8. He scored 12 goals, 2nd on the team after leading the team last year. And you want to dump this guy?

We need to add another top-6 guy even with Rico; I see no point in making us need two or more of those guys who are hard to come by.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
What does Henrique bring us long term? He doesnt fit the timeline of the team
Someone who can actually produce and depth.

If we throw everything on the youngsters shoulders they will for sure break. It is good to spread some skill around the lineup, Rico is a quality player and a good locker room presence for youngsters to look up to.

TopShelfWaterBottle

Registered
Mar 16, 2014

If we throw everything on the youngsters shoulders they will for sure break. It is good to spread some skill around the lineup, Rico is a quality player and a good locker room presence for youngsters to look up to.
That last at sentence could be horribly wrong if the accusations are true

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
If you can expose Rico to get rid of the contract and be bad enough to possibly get a franchise player in the next draft there is no downside really.
I don't think it would sit well with Gibby, upcoming UFA's, Free Agent market, etc.
Also, think about last seasons Red Wings. Tanked hard, were clearly the worst team and got to pick only 4th.

gilfaizon

Mar 28, 2012
PEI
I don't think it would sit well with Gibby, upcoming UFA's, Free Agent market, etc.
Also, think about last seasons Red Wings. Tanked hard, were clearly the worst team and got to pick only 4th.

I also don't see Eakins/Murray purposely setting this team up for failure, with DE's career on the line and BMs likely final season coming.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I still think they take Shattenkirk. 2 years of his cap hit is not a big deal. Plus will bring a brand new team some leadership in the locker room.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I still think they take Shattenkirk. 2 years of his cap hit is not a big deal. Plus will bring a brand new team some leadership in the locker room.
Ooof, doubt it.
Leadership would be the only reason they do it, but I am pretty sure there will be better options out there in the expansion draft and even in the FA market

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

Rico was team captain for Canada at the Worlds and helped win a Gold medal. Comtois is on the that team too. This World's tourney should be informing us that Rico is capable of helping this team win still.

I hope with the recent hiring of Assistant GM Solomon will reveal how much value Rico has for this team. And that his timeline fits well with this team as new youths continue to come up through the pipeline year after year. After three more seasons, then the forward Ducklings should have the new era established... hopefully.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
We had the worst power play in the history of the NHL, we should be looking to add goal scorers not subtract one of the few we actually have.

Henrique doesn’t exactly move the needle on the PP, he’s a complimentary piece who relies on others to get him the puck in the bumper position. I hardly think we are going to miss his 1 goal and 2 points on the PP last season, he was a part of the problem with the man advantage.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
In order of who I expect us to lose in the ED (top is most likely):

Steel/Jones
Mahura
Shattenkirk
Stolarz
Rico
Silfverberg

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Given BM singled out Jones in a positive light a couple times as someone who provides a rare quality, I have to think he's safe.

same. I think we expose Steel over him and Steel us ultimately who I think we’ll lose. He or Mahura. I put “Steel/Jones” since the board seemed somewhat split on who we’d protect of the 2. I agree about Jones though.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
Jones over Steel could become another Murray classic. It probably doesn’t turn out as bad as Theo but you never know.

Reactions: Opak

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
The parallels are certainly there. Small forward early in his career being utilized in a defensive role, often scratched, and buried in the lineup. Karlsson was 25 when he broke-out in Vegas. Steel is still just 23.

He wasn't used in a defensive role until late last season due to poor play, which was the reason he was also benched.

Steel, IMO, needed time in the AHL to continue developing, but the org let him struggle at the NHL level. I dunno if there is a Karlsson in Steel. With Zegras, Lundestrom, and Groulx' strong AHL outing last year, Steel might be the odd center looking in. We may also grab a center in the draft at #3. I'm not loving Steel's past two seasons, but I also pin that on the org for keeping him up with the NHL club. Steel finished off the season just focusing on playing a simple game on the 4th line or something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad