GDT: 2021 Expansion Draft Discussion Thread

Who is going to be chosen by Seattle?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
The amount of info already out there is embarrassing. Far too many people seem to have access to Seattle’s picks for the info not to be leaked, as the info seems to be coming from a wide variety of sources.

Losing Vitek hurts us both in net, and in the draft picks/prospects we’re going to lose trying to shift money off our books. We don’t have a first or second round pick for this year, or a second for next year. Mortgaging the future to make your team better today is one thing, but doing so to make your team slightly less good but cheaper today is quite another. My guess is that GMBM wasn’t prepared to part with a first/Alexeyev to ensure Seattle took a big contract instead because that’s so pricey, but realistically we’ll likely end up paying at least that to move a contract by trade and have a big hole at goal to fill. Maybe buying out Kempny and trading Jensen wouldn’t be as expensive, but it’ll still cost us good assets and cap space this/next year.

Pray that Ovi’s deal is reasonable.

Reactions: um

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
The amount of info already out there is embarrassing. Far too many people seem to have access to Seattle’s picks for the info not to be leaked, as the info seems to be coming from a wide variety of sources.

Losing Vitek hurts us both in net, and in the draft picks/prospects we’re going to lose trying to shift money off our books. We don’t have a first or second round pick for this year, or a second for next year. Mortgaging the future to make your team better today is one thing, but doing so to make your team slightly less good but cheaper today is quite another. My guess is that GMBM wasn’t prepared to part with a first/Alexeyev to ensure Seattle took a big contract instead because that’s so pricey, but realistically we’ll likely end up paying at least that to move a contract by trade and have a big hole at goal to fill. Maybe buying out Kempny and trading Jensen wouldn’t be as expensive, but it’ll still cost us good assets and cap space this/next year.

I'm pretty optimistic it will be reasonable.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA

We still have our second round pick this season, Arizona's third round pick and no 7th round pick .
Excluding the second round pick in 2022, we have all our other 2022 picks.

Reactions: tenken00

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
What's your definition of reasonable?

In terms of purely cap hit to expected performance. I think 4x8m is 'reasonable'. However I highly doubt he goes that low.

I'm ok with those numbers, especially when younger players who haven't put out seasons like Ovy are getting more now. If he was to sign for 6 million, I think all of us would dance circles and jump for joy. I don't think he signs for less than 8 million though.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
We still have our second round pick this season, Arizona's third round pick and no 7th round pick .

Time to package that 2nd round pick with Schultz or Dillon!

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe

My mistake, I thought we’d given it up in the Vrana/Mantha deal. Even so, spending 3 of your 4 first/second round picks in 2021 and 2022 without getting a signigicant, positive impact on your team in return would be challenging for a team as prospect-bare as Washington. We’ll see what Mantha’s like when he’s had time in our system, but adding him at that cost didn’t have the sort of impact that, say, Goodrow, Coleman and Savard have each had on Tampa after their additions. If we end up spending a second to get rid of a guy we only signed last year, that would be unnecessarily wasteful. And even if it’s just to move Kempny or Jensen, that doesn’t make our team better - just less expensive. Sigh. Hope GMBM can pull something out of a hat here.

Reactions: tenken00

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
I think the Geekie pick makes more sense than whatever happened with the Columbus pick. Center availability is pretty sparse this expansion draft (no William Karlssons this time around), and Geekie is a former Ron Francis draft pick.

Picking a UFA AHL D man from Columbus is just ????????????????? tho. Even if they're staying away from Domi, it just seems like they said "f*** it, we don't want anyone from CBJ"
Wasn't aware of the Columbus selection at the time, but yes, that qualifies too.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Can you imagine if we hadn't already gotten rid of Panik? Looking at the cost NYI paid to get rid of Ladd, this may be a hard offseason to swallow.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

From the link
Henrik Lundqvist is determined to return to the NHL ice, the biggest question is will it be with the Washington Capitals? On Friday, the Caps only undefeated net minder in franchise history published a photo on his Instagram with his daughter with an update on his health in the caption.
Lundqvist missed the entire 2021 season due to open heart surgery. Lundqvist wrote on his Instagram:
“Midsummer, birthday parties and lots of time with friends and family. Summer is off to a good start. Oh and I’m back with light workouts again Yeees!”​

We need Lundy back, he's undefeated.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
We have to sign a veteran goalie now, wonder what Lundqvist is going to do
Betting on a veteran goalie who was already in decline before having to take an entire year off hockey to get open heart surgery as your security blanket back-up seems, well, not the right approach.

Bernier or Mrazek if they somehow clear a bunch of cap space.
One of Brossoit, McElhinney, Halak, Hutton, or Rittich if they don't.

Reactions: 895

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
Betting on a veteran goalie who was already in decline before having to take an entire year off hockey to get open heart surgery as your security blanket back-up seems, well, not the right approach.

Bernier or Mrazek if they somehow clear a bunch of cap space.
One of Brossoit, McElhinney, Halak, Hutton, or Rittich if they don't.
I agree, I liked Bernier last year I mentioned him a few times during the TDL. You think he would cost more than Halak?

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Haven't been shy about the fact that I'm not high on Vitek's ceiling but it still sucks from a cap perspective. I wonder if there's a side deal on the table to take one of Schultz or Dillon after the draft. From Seattle's perspective that would be Schultz/Dillon + Vanecek + sweetener instead of just taking Schultz or Dillon.

Seems clear that Seattle is taking the guys with low cap hits and keeping enough space open so that they can eat additional contracts later on if they're paid to do so.

Reactions: Neil Racki

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I agree, I liked Bernier last year I mentioned him a few times during the TDL. You think he would cost more than Halak?
I think he would cost more than Halak. Halak has entered the 1 year contract at a time, maybe 2, phase of his career. Bernier could still score $3ishM with a few season term.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad