GDT: 2021 Expansion Draft Discussion Thread

Who is going to be chosen by Seattle?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Good for the league's GMs not to give in to Seattle the way they bent over for Vegas.

I'm still laughing about CBJ and Florida at the Vegas draft.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
Heard a little draft coverage on 710 ESPN Seattle Radio. It's funny because they know almost nothing about hockey. Like totally clueless. They'll have to get up to speed quick.

Anyway, I heard they took Brandon Tanev, Jarnkrok, Geekie, VV, Dreiger and Eberle plus some other players I had never heard of.

Sounds like a decent team.

Oh and I love their jerseys. Very nice looking, IMHO.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I know everyone shit on Vegas and said they would be a bad team but holy smokes will Seattle be a bad team unless they have some nice trades and UFA signings. The forward group is easily bottom of the league. Goaltending is very unproven.

Also not understanding the expansion trade rules. Some of these picks were clearly made due to trades. If they really chose the players from Buffalo, Ottawa and Chicago without any side deals they are clinically insane. Why not allow the trades to be announced? Seems like a swing and a miss by the NHL there.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I know everyone shit on Vegas and said they would be a bad team but holy smokes will Seattle be a bad team unless they have some nice trades and UFA signings. The forward group is easily bottom of the league. Goaltending is very unproven.

Also not understanding the expansion trade rules. Some of these picks were clearly made due to trades. If they really chose the players from Buffalo, Ottawa and Chicago without any side deals they are clinically insane. Why not allow the trades to be announced? Seems like a swing and a miss by the NHL there.

The Ottawa pick makes sense because they need at least one waiver exempt goalie to stash in the AHL. Once they went with Soucy over Kahkonnen, there weren’t a ton of other waiver exempt G options.

Reactions: hb12xchamps

HandsomeTom43

May 2, 2018
I really want to adopt the Kraken as my "west coast" team but my god, some of these picks are atrocious.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010

Zilch in trades for the expansion draft. Zero. Nada.

They could have made trades with teams after they submitted their picks at 10 am today - those won't be announced til 1 pm ET tomorrow. But those trades wouldn't have affected the choosing of who got picked - only after they got picked.

Reactions: hb12xchamps

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Worst possible outcome.

They took the guy who hurts the most and can't be replaced at his salary. On top of that it's likely going to cost a premium to dump salary which is a death sentence for a team like us who already have one of the worst prospect pools and limited picks to use.

WanderingCapsFan

Mar 31, 2008
Marana, Arizona, USA
Worst possible outcome.

They took the guy who hurts the most and can't be replaced at his salary. On top of that it's likely going to cost a premium to dump salary which is a death sentence for a team like us who already have one of the worst prospect pools and limited picks to use.

Say what you will about the Covid flat cap, but GMBM has really backed himself into a corner with all of his "generous" multi-year contracts. On top of the aging core, he is really going to have to work some magic to extricate himself from this mess.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Worst possible outcome.

Meh. I'll wait to be sad about Vitek when I see that his groin ain't broke.

Reactions: Eirikrautha

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Say what you will about the Covid flat cap, but GMBM has really backed himself into a corner with all of his "generous" multi-year contracts. On top of the aging core, he is really going to have to work some magic to extricate himself from this mess.

The magic of extra cap space is expensive these days.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Seattle will be good by the time the puck drops. They are currently sitting with a full roster and 28m in cap space. They have some early draft picks as bait and a league bent over a barrel due to a sudden flat cap. They have the advantage every time they pick up the phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad