GDT: 2021 Expansion Draft Discussion Thread

Who is going to be chosen by Seattle?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

searle

Jan 24, 2014
England
We haven't argued about anything in a while, so here's a new thing to throw some fuel on the fire.

The protection lists come out around the 18th, so not much time for us to place our bets, but there's a mystery (non-existent) prize for whoever guesses all of them right.

Rules:
  • They can protect seven forwards, three defensemen and one goalie OR eight skaters (any combination of forwards and defensemen) and one goalie.

One thing of note is that Backstrom has a NMC, so has to be selected (as it seems extremely unlikely that they'll ask him to waive his NMC)

Let me know if I've missed anyone.

If people are keen I might put together a Google Form once the lists are made public so everyone can draft their own team and we can compare and score based on accuracy.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Should Ovie be up there? I haven't been following the expansion rules but I thought he was eligible.

edit: answered by tenken, duh

Last edited:
Reactions: tenken00

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Since I love prognosticating so much, here is who I think they will protect:

Forwards
Backstrom
Wilson
Kuznetsov
Mantha
Oshie
Eller
Sheary

Defensemen
Carlson
Orlov
Schultz

Goaltender
Samsonov

If it were me I'd expose Sheary and protect Sprong, and I'd expose Schultz and protect Jensen. I'd even prefer if they protected Dillon over Schultz.

Reactions: Hivemind and searle

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I think they protect Dowd over Sheary/Sprong, in part due to continuing uncertainty at the center position and how that may play out. It's also the right move IMO. They've proven they can find wingers on the cheap if need be. Sprong does strike me as a decent option for Seattle given that the majority of the top sixers available to them (beyond UFAs they could sign) will have toxic contracts.

Reactions: twabby

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Since I love prognosticating so much, here is who I think they will protect:

Forwards
Backstrom
Wilson
Kuznetsov
Mantha
Oshie
Eller
Sheary

Defensemen
Carlson
Orlov
Schultz

Goaltender
Samsonov

If it were me I'd expose Sheary and protect Sprong, and I'd expose Schultz and protect Jensen. I'd even prefer if they protected Dillon over Schultz.
Same list as you except I protected Sprong and not Sheary.

I’d also keep Jensen over Schultz but I don’t see that happening.

Reactions: searle

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I think they protect Dowd over Sheary/Sprong, in part due to continuing uncertainty at the center position and how that may play out. It's also the right move IMO. They've proven they can find wingers on the cheap if need be. Sprong does strike me as a decent option for Seattle given that the majority of the top sixers available to them (beyond UFAs they could sign) will have toxic contracts.

This is a good point. I guess I wasn't really thinking Dowd could be an option but it makes sense for Washington to protect him: he's dirt cheap with no easy in-house replacement and he's actually pretty good at what he does.

I wouldn't mind if they protect Dowd, though I'm not sure I'd put him over Sprong quite yet. It's close though.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Forwards
Backstrom
Kuznetsov
Eller
Dowd
Oshie
Mantha
Wilson

Defense
Carlson
Orlov
Jensen

Goalie
Samsonov

Approach to the forwards was that you build a team down the middle, so emphasis on the centers. Regarding the d, Jensen might not appear on many list but I just prefer him over Dillon and Schultz.

The only two players that I would have some heartburn over if we lose them in the draft is Vanecek and Hathaway, all the rest meh.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Posting a couple of polls has taught me that @kicksavedave just wants to watch the world burn

Disaster%20Girl%20Meme.jpg

Jun 15, 2007
Protecting Schultz or Dillon over Jensen would put me in the Fire GMBM camp.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
The first 6 forwards and 2 defensemen aren’t really controversial.

I would prefer their 7th F to be Sprong and 3rd D to be Jensen.

If I had to bet money I think their 7th F will be Sheary and 3rd D will be Dillon.

I do think there’s a 30-40% chance they protect Jensen tho.

Jun 15, 2007
Sheary can go. He sucked after signing his contract. Which is what Pens fans said all along.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad