Prospect Info: 2021 Entry Draft #37 - Josh Doan (RW)

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
I thought they were only allowed to play in one before they signed an ELC. I feel like I remember Dean Stewart playing in them in years past

Yeah we've had a couple others. Pretty sure Ty Emberson is another.

Doan should be there. Hopefully Carson Bantle too.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
NCAA guys can't play in tournaments. They can attend a camp if they pay their own way. Any kind of game other than just a scrimmage within the team would result in loss of eligibility.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Eh, I think saying if you play in games organized by pro teams against other pro players that you are in fact playing pro hockey and therefor not an amateur makes sense as a rule.

You wanna talk about dumb NCAA rules- A player who goes to a pro camp has restrictions to things like tshirts, hats, equipment etc that the team might give them. Too much swag would be considered "material benefits".

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Eh, I think saying if you play in games organized by pro teams against other pro players that you are in fact playing pro hockey and therefor not an amateur makes sense as a rule.

You wanna talk about dumb NCAA rules- A player who goes to a pro camp has restrictions to things like tshirts, hats, equipment etc that the team might give them. Too much swag would be considered "material benefits".
All of it is rather dumb. You sell these sports for billions yet balk at the idea that an athlete might get a per diem at a pro camp?? A guy who plays for basically beer money in Jr is now a pro but a program making billions is amateur?

Reactions: 0point1 and Jakey53

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
I wonder how many years Doan will spend at ASU before we bring him over to Tucson. I’m hoping for a big season from him and it’s exciting to have a prospect playing so close to home

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012

Just my opinion, but he's not getting paid (pros get paid) and the tournament is essentially a preseason scrimmage. Look in the NHL record books, and the games will not appear; goals scored don't count on the stat sheet, etc. Therefore...should be allowed.

Hogan20

Leader of the JJ Moser Fan Club
May 1, 2016
Maine

I could see the second part of this statement changing now w the NIL in action.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Wonder how much money Doan will make with Name Image and Likeness at ASU. Feels like he could big time take advantage of that

The whole thing is so new I don't know if schools have figured out how to implement it or set boundaries. For example, can the school sell a jersey with his name on the back? Do they need Josh's permission? How do they work out the profit split?

Reactions: Jakey53

LuckyNumber11

Jun 10, 2015
Valley of the Sun
The whole thing is so new I don't know if schools have figured out how to implement it or set boundaries. For example, can the school sell a jersey with his name on the back? Do they need Josh's permission? How do they work out the profit split?
The school cannot but Josh can have his own merchandise is the easy way to answer that.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Apologies if I take the thread a little off track, but the first college athlete to rake in over $1 million is probably someone most of us have never heard of. I've read she has over 5 million followers across her social media platforms, and advertisers are chomping at the bit.

Reactions: Jakey53

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
All of it is rather dumb. You sell these sports for billions yet balk at the idea that an athlete might get a per diem at a pro camp?? A guy who plays for basically beer money in Jr is now a pro but a program making billions is amateur?
The man who coined the term "student athlete" was trying to avoid a workman's comp lawsuit after a football player died in the 50's. He later decried the system as a byproduct of a "neo-plantation mentality that exists on campuses." The NCAA needs to just go away.
Watching the Devils game.

Josh looks sick out there. Very shifty, very creative offensively. Looks big for his age too
... glad you mean sick as in "1995's awesome" and not sick as in "he maybe has mono." I assumed the latter after your first two sentences.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
NCAA’s always been a pain in the ass. Back in my day you’d lose a year of college eligibility for every year of junior you played. Didn’t even have to be major jr..

Reactions: Summer Rose

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad