Prospect Info: 2021 Entry Draft #37 - Josh Doan (RW)

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Remember in the pre-draft show they asked Sam Cosentino to talk about his favorite under the radar pick and he did a whole little segment on Josh Doan as his guy. Cosentino incidentally had Guenther ranked 4th on his final list. Safe to say both Craig Button and Sam Cosentino are big fans of our first two picks. Corey Pronman didn’t like the Doan pick, but he had Guenther 2nd overall on his final list.

(Side note: Pronman hated the Hayton and Soderstrom picks)

Pronman flipped his opinion on both though after WJF though. Looking back in surprised about the Soderstrom pick, that guy seems right up his alley and an under the radar guy to get more clicks. Hayton isn't as surprising for his draft year though. Man at this point I'd be thrilled if Hayton just replaces what we have in Dvo, especially if we move Dvo for someone like Newhook.

Reactions: rt

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Listening to Draft Class now and they mention to listen to the John Williams episode if you want to hear more about Guenther.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Hate this pick, love the kid as a late bloomer.
This pick puts huge unnecessary pressure on little Doan to live up to his dad in the market that worshipped his old man. This pick puts unnecessary pressure on the team not to trade/demote/waive Doan’s son.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
This pick puts huge unnecessary pressure on little Doan to live up to his dad in the market that worshipped his old man. This pick puts unnecessary pressure on the team not to trade/demote/waive Doan’s son.
He also has personal coach Shane Doan to help him every step along the way who is not only his father, but an executive with the team as well. I'd say that's a pretty big advantage.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City

I get the sentiment, but ya gotta figure if the dad's a good character developer, then the son would have a big advantage in handling it all. I mean, look at both Tkachuks and our own Chychrun...and ya gotta think Doaner would be as good or better a character developer as Keith Tkachuk :)

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Josh Doan chose to join ASU. He really wants to be here and part of the sport in Arizona. It's not pressure for him, it's more of a passion.

Maybe he just hates the cold. How many Div I hockey schools are in year round warmth?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
If it comes to a time when they want to trade "Little Doan", I imagine GMBA would have been removed a couple of times over by then. What's that saying they use, "rinse and repeat".:)

Reactions: RemoAZ

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
He also has personal coach Shane Doan to help him every step along the way who is not only his father, but an executive with the team as well. I'd say that's a pretty big advantage.
Josh Doan has been under pressure the first day he put on the Doan jersey. Same goes with other kids who's father played. Little different here of course, but I'm betting on the Doan's. I have never been to a ASU hockey game, but I will attend this year. Maybe I can finally see some winning hockey in Arizona.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Is it too much to ask to one day see a Tkachuk, Doan, and Matthews on the Coyotes? Probably haha.
The Canadian social media would explode. Have them on the same line, and then, sign Shane and Keith to a one game contract and have them skate a shift with their kids. We need something to cheer for.:)

Sm00chy

Sep 29, 2017
The athletes you want to build an organization around are ones that welcome the challenge and are motivated by it. Everyone handles pressure differently...for all we know this type of pressure could push Josh to become the best form of himself. We shall know in a couple years.

LuckyNumber11

Jun 10, 2015
Valley of the Sun
Armstrong also said that he’s had pressure his whole life. It’s not like other hockey places haven’t heard of Shane Doan. Most places consider Doan one of those guys who could’ve been a Hall of Famer with a title or two. He’d have had pressure having the last name Doan no matter where he went. I’d argue it’s actually less pressure here than some other markets

Reactions: ck26

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
The athletes you want to build an organization around are ones that welcome the challenge and are motivated by it. Everyone handles pressure differently...for all we know this type of pressure could push Josh to become the best form of himself. We shall know in a couple years.
Or longer. We can be as patient as we need with Josh's development.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
NCAA players usually don't attend rookie tournaments, right? Something about the teams not being able to contribute any money for their travel, meals, accommodations, etc. But for Josh Doan, he can just live at home and dad can drive him to the rink, right? Could he theoretically participate if his mom just pays for everything out of pocket?

LuckyNumber11

Jun 10, 2015
Valley of the Sun
NCAA players usually don't attend rookie tournaments, right? Something about the teams not being able to contribute any money for their travel, meals, accommodations, etc. But for Josh Doan, he can just live at home and dad can drive him to the rink, right? Could he theoretically participate if his mom just pays for everything out of pocket?
I thought they were only allowed to play in one before they signed an ELC. I feel like I remember Dean Stewart playing in them in years past

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona

I believe the only rule is the team can’t pay to accommodate you. So if Josh is in AZ during the tournament and his season is not going on, he’s allowed to come if ASU let’s him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad