Prospect Info: 2021 Entry Draft #37 - Josh Doan (RW)

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
The son of former NHLer Shane Doan, Josh Doan went undrafted in the 2020 NHL Draft. He struggled in his first season with the Chicago Steel playing in the bottom-six of a stacked team in 2019-20. Doan scored just five goals and nine assists for 14 points in 45 games. The Steel would finish first in the USHL, but the COVID pandemic cancelled the playoffs.

This season, the Steel were again a strong team. However, with some graduations amongst the 2019-20 forward group, Josh Doan was given a much bigger role. He thrived with the added minutes and responsibility. Doan scored 31 goals and 39 assists for 70 points in 53 games. The Steel didn’t miss a beat, again finishing with the best record in the USHL. This time though, they would get to chase the Clark Cup in the USHL Playoffs. Doan and the Steel did not disappoint. He picked up two goals and three assists for five points in eight playoff games as the Steel took home the Cup. Doan will be staying close to home next year. He is committed to playing Division One hockey for the Arizona State Sun Devils.

2021 NHL Draft #77: Josh Doan Scouting Report - LWOS

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
People are going to scream nepotism because he's Shane's son, but Josh is a good player. I watched a lot of Doan the last two seasons. More than almost any player in this draft. I thought he probably should've been drafted last year because him becoming a second round pick this season after repeating his good end to last season was so predictable. I know drafting overagers high isn't favorable with fans, but I wouldn't worry about that. Josh is a good player that would be projecting well if he was drafted in 2020.

I think he's likely to be a good bottom 6 player. The type of player that is a main complimentary grinder. He won't be one of the leading players on the team, so the Coyotes will have to find those players elsewhere in their rebuild, but Doan is exactly the type of player you draft so you don't have to trade a first rounder for this type of player later on or give a terrible contract to.

He's a winger with good size. He's an unbelievably hard worker, and he skates well. He's going to be a very good defensive forward. Probably a main PK'er. He does have some skill though. I think he could be the type of player that is capable of moving up the lineup to chip in 25-35 points in his prime, although I think on a Championship team he likely plays in the bottom six.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
The son of former NHLer Shane Doan, Josh Doan went undrafted in the 2020 NHL Draft. He struggled in his first season with the Chicago Steel playing in the bottom-six of a stacked team in 2019-20. Doan scored just five goals and nine assists for 14 points in 45 games. The Steel would finish first in the USHL, but the COVID pandemic cancelled the playoffs.

This season, the Steel were again a strong team. However, with some graduations amongst the 2019-20 forward group, Josh Doan was given a much bigger role. He thrived with the added minutes and responsibility. Doan scored 31 goals and 39 assists for 70 points in 53 games. The Steel didn’t miss a beat, again finishing with the best record in the USHL. This time though, they would get to chase the Clark Cup in the USHL Playoffs. Doan and the Steel did not disappoint. He picked up two goals and three assists for five points in eight playoff games as the Steel took home the Cup. Doan will be staying close to home next year. He is committed to playing Division One hockey for the Arizona State Sun Devils.

Reactions: Jakey53

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Feels like we got a garunteed NHL'r here, on top of being a very classy move. Play reads like a poor man's Killorn but has room to grow and we will obviously be able to monitor his development. I'm sure Shane will be at many ASU games.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

Could you not start our threads next year please? I appreciate the content but a reply would be nice.

Reactions: Bonsai Tree

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
2 years @ ASU, and put on some mass
1 year @ Tucson Roadrunners

We trade our best RW and by the end of the next day, the future is looking good on the right side.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Could you not start our threads next year please? I appreciate the content but a reply would be nice.

I wont for the rest of the draft.

Remind me for next year. You can DM me before the draft.

Last edited:

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
You don't have to click it.... you can also put me on ignore if you want.

I have talked to the site admin about posting the content on many occassions.
I’d love to ignore your posts but when you start threads it causes issues. Just like rt couldn’t find this thread originally.

Reactions: Bonsai Tree

rt

May 13, 2004
Have they gotten better? I kinda black listed them after their original stuff read like that Tanner guy at hockeybuzz
The prospect stuff is fine. It’s an amalgamation of other content and then sort of a meta-analysis on that content. Just like The Hockey Writers and the like. It’s all good content to read through quickly. Handy link to stats and other articles and some highlight videos. Just like THWs and others. My favorite is probably the guy who does it for the Devils. The All About the Jersey blog. Really like his format and voice.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
The prospect stuff is fine. It’s an amalgamation of other content and then sort of a meta-analysis on that content. Just like The Hockey Writers and the like. It’s all good content to read through quickly. Handy link to stats and other articles and some highlight videos. Just like THWs and others. My favorite is probably the guy who does it for the Devils. The All About the Jersey blog. Really like his format and voice.
All about the Jersey is great. He has some videos on YouTube I believe

rt

May 13, 2004
Doan just confirmed that they didn't show him the list with Josh on it until last night. He said Josh was right around where they took him. So I guess they must have had him late 20s early 30s. His list prior was Joshless. They kept him out of Josh all discussion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad