Prospect Info: 2021 Draft Thread

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I am convinced Treliving is going to trade the pick to save his job

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Me too bro, me too.

I don't know if the Flames would inclined to take a C since they just took Zary last year, but Sillinger could be nice. McTavish is probably on the Flames radar too with the alum connection. Lucius is a center who can play wing so he might be worth a take as well.
Tons of players are drafted as centers and never play as centers in the NHL, so I really don't think that will matter.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
The idea of having too many top 6 centers sounds like a dream after the decade and a half of Iginla's career when we barely had 1 most years.
No kidding and not only that these kids are probably at least 2-3 year away too, who knows what the team could look like then.

For example, when the Flames drafted Jankowski I think a big reason was because he was a center, by the time he was done college we'd drafted Monahan, Bennett and Dube; and of course we still had Backlund playing at a high level.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
No kidding and not only that these kids are probably at least 2-3 year away too, who knows what the team could look like then.
Yup not to mention if a couple progress like Backlund we could be waiting 5+ years before they are ready to play big minutes. Drafting should always be bpa and you make trades and signings to fill holes on the team.

Reactions: deleted user

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Yup not to mention if a couple progress like Backlund we could be waiting 5+ years before they are ready to play big minutes. Drafting should always be bpa and you make trades and signings to fill holes on the team.
I had made an edit to my previous post to give the example of drafting Jankowski and when he was drafted. At the time we had no centers anywhere, Backlund was always hurt, then by the time Janko had his first training camp, we'd drafted Monahan, Bennett, Dube and Backlund wasn't injured any more

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
NA-Rankings-Twitter-26011217.png

ITL-Rankings-Twitter-26011254.png

NHL.com Media Site

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I hate how CSS splits NA and Euro skaters, you're already using guys from many leagues in each group. why not just male a full lisst

L13

Oct 1, 2015
I hate how CSS splits NA and Euro skaters, you're already using guys from many leagues in each group. why not just male a full lisst

Because although the NA and EU scouting departments cover multiple leagues each, individual scouts within them have enough overlap with each other to integrate their individual/national lists. But the NA scouts and the EU scouts CS use don't work together at all.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I've even seen Power as low as 5, I don't recall which list but it was one that had me scratching my head often

Yeah, I've seen a couple that had him inside the top 5 in various spots. I think the one you're thinking about had Beniers in the 1 spot.

That said, McKenzie's 10 scouts all said he'd go 1st (with the caveat that he could be unseeded). Reminds me a lot of the 2012 draft.

2012 in as much as there's defencemen everywhere.
2012 in that there's question as to the elite talent available.
2012 in that the 5th overall pick might end up being the best skater in the first round
2012 in that the best forward ends up being the 11th pick.

Now watch the Flames down relive the draft by missing out on what'd be the second best forward in the draft to make a long shot pick after trading down.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
I had seen him low as 8 on Dobbersprospects but that list looks like they picked names from a hat.

It's also from earlier in the year. From what I saw and have heard from scouts Power struggled quite a bit in his first 8-9 games at Michigan but slowly improved and has ended on a high note. I've seen lists from around the WJC that had him around 8-9 and many of the people who made them have since moved him back into the top 3-4.

He looked great in the WHC game yesterday. He's currently on Canada's top powerplay unit.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
With Hakan Loob and our recent history with Swedes a good chance we see a Swedish winger coming in at 13 - Lysell, Rosen, Olausson, Robertsson

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
With Hakan Loob and our recent history with Swedes a good chance we see a Swedish winger coming in at 13 - Lysell, Rosen, Olausson, Robertsson
While I don't doubt we will draft a Swede or 2, I don't think there is any better chance of a Swede in the first round than any other nationality.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
While I don't doubt we will draft a Swede or 2, I don't think there is any better chance of a Swede in the first round than any other nationality.
Honestly Lysell to us makes a lot of sense in the short term. He seems to constantly be ranked in the range we are picking and is a right shot right wing who is one of the best skaters in the draft and boasts a strong two-way game. If he is still on the board for our pick I’d say there’s a good chance we take him.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Honestly Lysell to us makes a lot of sense in the short term. He seems to constantly be ranked in the range we are picking and is a right shot right wing who is one of the best skaters in the draft and boasts a strong two-way game. If he is still on the board for our pick I’d say there’s a good chance we take him.
The Flames have never drafted for short term under Treliving, why would they start now? The Flames will pick the player they think will have the best NHL career, as they always do; regardless of which way they shoot or the position they play.

As pointed out earlier, when you draft for position you never knew what will change by the time the player is ready. We drafted Janko for position despite being a long term project, by the time he had his first NHL camp we'd drafted Monahan, Bennett and Dube, and Backlund had gone from always injured 0.5 ppg center to legitimate 2C with selke abilities.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
The Flames have never drafted for short term under Treliving, why would they start now? The Flames will pick the player they think will have the best NHL career, as they always do; regardless of which way they shoot or the position they play.

As pointed out earlier, when you draft for position you never knew what will change by the time the player is ready. We drafted Janko for position despite being a long term project, by the time he had his first NHL camp we'd drafted Monahan, Bennett and Dube, and Backlund had gone from always injured 0.5 ppg center to legitimate 2C with selke abilities.
Sorry I should’ve been more clear, the start and end of my post alluded to the fact that there is a very realistic chance he is BPA at our position, with the real risk being he is taken 3 or so picks ahead of our spot.

Although realistically with the Janko reference he was also drafted as a LONG term project, and lived up to it making the NHL 7 seasons post draft. If the organizations depth chart didn’t change in that time period something is wrong. A player like Lysell currently has a 2-3 year expected arrival time, and considering our organizational depth of right shots is Lindholm, Phillips, ???, I’m less worried about him getting lost in the works if our team decides to take him on position anyways.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Lysell was 28 on Button's list. I doubt they pick him unless everyone but Button is super high on him.

Reactions: L13

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I would be thrilled if that was the case, but...

Lysell was 28 on Button's list. I doubt they pick him unless everyone but Button is super high on him.
This. Not that Craig Button's list is the be-all, end-all, but he seems to share notes with Tod.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

hahaha that’s why they should take him….Craig’s list is a sham

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I would be thrilled if that was the case, but...

This. Not that Craig Button's list is the be-all, end-all, but he seems to share notes with Tod.

I think Craig takes a ton of Tod's notes, but I don't often feel like Tod = Craig for scouting. Tod has his own ideas and at times they seem... higher level than Craig's. I have paid attention to a few drafts and Tod doesn't seem to have a strong poker face. When he likes a player, you can see him excited. If he's unsure or something or just going through the motions, he's kinda emotionless or doesn't comment deeply.

I haven't looked into the draft profiles at all, but based on what I see, I have a weird gut feeling. I noticed the 2012 reference above and I kinda agree, but 2017 also sticks out to me. I think there's plenty of players in the first round that can easily fast track into many teams middle 6 (develop faster than the average draft). The main question is whether there are any sure fire top line players outside of the top 5 as well as whether there are any superstars. I think having quite a few of these guys would be great because we could have blue chips stashed away in case of injuries during contention and they will all always be pretty close to graduation vs a pure yes/no contributing to a logjam (what we kept experiencing in the past).

I think we could easily nab a pre injury Valimaki calibre player in this draft who could graduate to the NHL by the time they are 19. The only question, is what position do we want. I think we might be lucky enough to do both BPA and positional need in this draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad