2021 Draft Position Tracker

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
How low we can go in this draft , from 1 to ?

there's two lottery drawings now(as opposed to 3 in previous years) so if the Wings win one of them they can pick 1st or 2nd

if not it depends on which teams win them, if Buffalo/Anaheim/Seattle/New Jersey/Columbus win both of them the Wings pick 6th

if some team other than those wins one of them the Wings pick 7th

if some team other than those wins both of them the Wings pick 8th

the Wings can't pick 3rd/4th/5th or lower than 8th

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
This is our year, we didn't full on tank.... Let the kids play and still won too many games. If there is such a thing as karma or whatever you want to label it. We should win the lottery.

I will prepare to pick 8th.
Everyone wanted Vancouver to win so they would pass us in the standings.
I'd say it's almost 100% guaranteed that the Nucks will win the lottery.

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
Yeah math skills weren't on point there.

Should say we have a better combined chance of getting 1st, 2nd, or 6th vs 7th.

Yeah. Fair. All matters how you look at it. Anything but 6 or 7 would be a surprise.

Someone’s gotta win though. May as well start the streak this year.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
cant believe we all just watched those 56 games of detroit red wings "hockey" for a 7th overall pick :help:
I've skipped the games for several years now. Keeping it to just the discussions here has saved me both stress and money.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Yeah. Fair. All matters how you look at it. Anything but 6 or 7 would be a surprise.

Someone’s gotta win though. May as well start the streak this year.

one other outlook is there is basically a 50-50 chance we draft 1st/2nd/6th vs 7th/8th.

If you’re a glass is half full kind of person that’s decent odds.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Seems to be a pretty clear top 7 this year. Please don’t fall to 8th.

I thought the 2019 draft played out as poor as possible, with Dach, Bryam, and Turcotte going right before us.

I think we ended up doing just fine.

I also think it’s unlikely whatever top 7 you think there is goes exactly in the top 7. There are always 1-2 “reaches”.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I thought the 2019 draft played out as poor as possible, with Dach, Bryam, and Turcotte going right before us.

I think we ended up doing just fine.

I also think it’s unlikely whatever top 7 you think there is goes exactly in the top 7. There are always 1-2 “reaches”.

Exactly.

I'm also not convinced that the in-game impact most of these kids have will differ greatly from one another if/when they hit their prime except in some of the best case scenarios. The top 10 all look to be solid NHL contributors but I can only think of 3 that end up top 20 in their positions. (At the moment)

Guenther/Eklund/Johnson look like top 6 wingers with different styles but probably comparable production.
Power/Hughes/Clarke look like top 4 D with different styles but probably have comparable production. I think eventually Clarke outproduces the others on a long enough timeframe.
Edvinsson looks like a total wild card. I'm not a fan of project picks in the top 10 of a draft and holy shit is he a project. I only feel slightly better about taking him knowing that Nik Kronwall will work with him.
Wallstedt looks like a future starting goalie but could end up as a franchise cornerstone starter much like Askarov(TBD)/Price/Vasilevsky and goalies of that ilk.
Beniers may produce immediately or he may end up taking a season or two to figure out the offensive consistency part. But all the tools are there to be a 2 way center. Only his production will dictate whether he's 1st or 2nd line.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Plus, the chance of drafting 8th is quite small. It's something like 8%.

giphy-downsized.gif

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Exactly.

I'm also not convinced that the in-game impact most of these kids have will differ greatly from one another if/when they hit their prime except in some of the best case scenarios. The top 10 all look to be solid NHL contributors but I can only think of 3 that end up top 20 in their positions. (At the moment)

Guenther/Eklund/Johnson look like top 6 wingers with different styles but probably comparable production.
Power/Hughes/Clarke look like top 4 D with different styles but probably have comparable production. I think eventually Clarke outproduces the others on a long enough timeframe.
Edvinsson looks like a total wild card. I'm not a fan of project picks in the top 10 of a draft and holy shit is he a project. I only feel slightly better about taking him knowing that Nik Kronwall will work with him.
Wallstedt looks like a future starting goalie but could end up as a franchise cornerstone starter much like Askarov(TBD)/Price/Vasilevsky and goalies of that ilk.
Beniers may produce immediately or he may end up taking a season or two to figure out the offensive consistency part. But all the tools are there to be a 2 way center. Only his production will dictate whether he's 1st or 2nd line.

As people have been saying all year: lots of good, but not a lot of elite in this class.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad