2021 Draft Position Tracker

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I'm not going to get too worked up about it, we played Pickard in net so we gave Columbus every chance to win in regulation. Hard to believe just how bad they were this year.

I know folks really wanted to pick as high as possible this year but I'm really happy the wings never rolled over and died the way Columbus did. They've canned Torts hoping that rights the ship down there but their GM has to have doubts about the main parts of that team now. If they don't come out and look engaged/improved to start next season I'd bet on someone significant being moved.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
I know folks really wanted to pick as high as possible this year but I'm really happy the wings never rolled over and died the way Columbus did. They've canned Torts hoping that rights the ship down there but their GM has to have doubts about the main parts of that team now. If they don't come out and look engaged/improved to start next season I'd bet on someone significant being moved.

I agree with this.

For Columbus, Seth Jones' comments today couldn't have been too encouraging. They really cannot afford to lose a player of his caliber in UFA, but at the same time a massive overpayment can potentially hamstring them going forward. But if they lose Dubois and Jones in the same year, even with Laine, Roslovic, and whoever they add with their cap space coming in, I think that's kind of a death blow.

I also heard that Mirzlikins isn't sure about his future with the expansion draft. If they do protect Korpisalo, which would surprise me, I'd be interested in kicking the tires on Elvis and exposing Greiss to expansion.

FrolundaRedWings

Feb 27, 2017
Vancouver:
6 Games Left 3 points back of DRW

What is needed to catch DRW:
1RW & OT/SO Loss (3 out of a possible 12 points) OR
4 points in any manner

We are all Canucks!

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
Vancouver:
6 Games Left 3 points back of DRW

What is needed to catch DRW:
1RW & OT/SO Loss (3 out of a possible 12 points) OR
4 points in any manner

We are all Canucks!

Thanks Bro-lunda.

One other interesting thing. Devils lose tonight. Because of that, the extra point we earned against Columbus has only cost us 1 draft position. That should remain unless VAN ends up finishing the season in a weird spot.

Edit. It was already mentioned about the devils.

Last edited:
Reactions: FrolundaRedWings

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I agree with this.

For Columbus, Seth Jones' comments today couldn't have been too encouraging. They really cannot afford to lose a player of his caliber in UFA, but at the same time a massive overpayment can potentially hamstring them going forward. But if they lose Dubois and Jones in the same year, even with Laine, Roslovic, and whoever they add with their cap space coming in, I think that's kind of a death blow.

I also heard that Mirzlikins isn't sure about his future with the expansion draft. If they do protect Korpisalo, which would surprise me, I'd be interested in kicking the tires on Elvis and exposing Greiss to expansion.

Why expose Greiss? We have no one else to protect. Bernier is UFA so he won't get protected and won't get taken. After that, there is Pickard and Boyle and nothing else.

Reactions: 14ari13

WF19

Nov 18, 2009
Regardless where we pick we will pick hiigh enough to get an impact player. There is no player that really sets themselves apart. Tank another year for best odds, draft Bedard and sign Barkov. Then we are contenders again.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I agree with this.

I don't think Mirzlikins was commenting about the expansion draft but in general. it sounds like he doesn't want to be in a platoon situation any more, that he won't "be happy" if it's not his net. Capfriendly is saying Mirzlikins is exempt from the draft, so I'd expect Columbus to protect Korpisalo and look to roll with both again next year. The comments from Jones and Mirzlikins aren't exactly good, though.

With Jones, what would be an overpayment? I think you can go over $10m per year for him and it'd still be money well spent. This is a guy who holds down 30+ minutes for them in the playoffs, and is routinely over 25 a night in the regular season. It's a lot of money to tie up in a D, but he and Werenski can go out and essentially eat 55 out of 60 minutes every night and can carry their partners to a certain degree. I think I'd be willing to dump upwards of $20m in those two.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Regardless where we pick we will pick hiigh enough to get an impact player. There is no player that really sets themselves apart. Tank another year for best odds, draft Bedard and sign Barkov. Then we are contenders again.

I think we've gotta let the Barkov thing go. Florida is a way better team than us right now. The weather is nicer there, and once Val retires we won't have any Finns on our roster.

Sure we'll have the cap space to sign him, but I've gotta believe Florida will move heaven and earth to match any UFA offer.

I just don't see this happen outside of our dreams.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
I don't think Mirzlikins was commenting about the expansion draft but in general. it sounds like he doesn't want to be in a platoon situation any more, that he won't "be happy" if it's not his net. Capfriendly is saying Mirzlikins is exempt from the draft, so I'd expect Columbus to protect Korpisalo and look to roll with both again next year. The comments from Jones and Mirzlikins aren't exactly good, though.

With Jones, what would be an overpayment? I think you can go over $10m per year for him and it'd still be money well spent. This is a guy who holds down 30+ minutes for them in the playoffs, and is routinely over 25 a night in the regular season. It's a lot of money to tie up in a D, but he and Werenski can go out and essentially eat 55 out of 60 minutes every night and can carry their partners to a certain degree. I think I'd be willing to dump upwards of $20m in those two.

I am not sure building the team by signing free agents.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC

Oh right, I forgot that he's exempt. Interesting situation though, I'm curious what they do in net going forward.

The Jones deal will be an interesting one, especially in light of this flat cap business and him having a slightly down year. Further, the analytics folks feel Jones is overvalued, as explained in pretty intense detail here:

Is Seth Jones Actually Elite?

I tend to agree with you though, I thought Jones was such a standout in both the Tampa and Toronto series. It will be interesting to see how he bounces back with a new coach and a likely healthier team around him. I expect that he will be in that 10mil ballpark. You'd think Columbus would be especially committed to re-signing him because of this growing idea that they can't keep their players.

If they can't work something out though, you imagine they'd move him this deadline. With half his salary retained, he's less than a 3mil cap hit. You gotta believe he'd be one of the most expensive playoff rentals of all time, talk about getting a team over the hump.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
You only protect one goalie. He’s saying, in that scenario, that one goalie is Elvis.

Yes, but you can trade for Elvis after the expansion draft, and keep both. Not like we have anyone else that is ready to play next year.

pz29

Jun 18, 2015
The weather is nicer there
As someone who has lived in Florida for 15 years over two stints, that is debatable. It is only "nice" four months out of the year. The rest is hot and humid hell with crazy lightning storms every afternoon and flying cockroaches. But maybe it's just me.

Last edited:
Reactions: LucaBrasil

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
THG's owe us 9 spots correct? So move up 2 this year to #4. 7 left over for next 2 drafts, and that's just to "break even". Should THG smile upon us, then they can add to those drafts, then we'll be in the "+" club.

Wings can't move up to #4. They either move up to 1 or 2, stay the same, or move down 1 or 2.

archimet

Aug 17, 2008
I guess this is the thread to discuss this... but Capitals getting Boston in the 1st round seems like good news for our second 1st round pick. I know the standings aren't final, but I wonder where we would pick if the Caps lost.

I believe Washington's 1st is currently #24. If they lose to Boston tonight, I believe Tampa moves into the 24th pick and Washington finishes the regular season at 23rd. It's possible to move up even further if Washington loses in Rounds #1 or #2. Then, any team with a worse record than Washington that reaches the Conference Finals will improve Washington's pick by 1 slot. Think Boston, New York Islanders, Edmonton, St. Louis, Winnipeg, and Montreal. If Washington wins tonight, they stay at #24, but you can add Tampa to the list of teams who you want to reach the Conference finals. On the other hand, if Washington makes it to the Conference Finals, that pick will fall between #29 and #32.

Reactions: Larkin2AA

Ed Ned and Leddy

Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Yes, but you can trade for Elvis after the expansion draft, and keep both. Not like we have anyone else that is ready to play next year.

ok. Gotcha. I think Cairne meant that Elvis might be available before / because of expansion draft. But all good.

Yep, I forgot that Elvis was exempt so my initial comment doesn't make much sense now.

Reactions: Oddbob

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad