2021 Draft Position Tracker

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Sure we'll have the cap space to sign him, but I've gotta believe Florida will move heaven and earth to match any UFA offer.

I just don't see this happen outside of our dreams.
Good enough for me!
350.png

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
I believe Washington's 1st is currently #24. If they lose to Boston tonight, I believe Tampa moves into the 24th pick and Washington finishes the regular season at 23rd. It's possible to move up even further if Washington loses in Rounds #1 or #2. Then, any team with a worse record than Washington that reaches the Conference Finals will improve Washington's pick by 1 slot. Think Boston, New York Islanders, Edmonton, St. Louis, Winnipeg, and Montreal. If Washington wins tonight, they stay at #24, but you can add Tampa to the list of teams who you want to reach the Conference finals. On the other hand, if Washington makes it to the Conference Finals, that pick will fall between #29 and #32.

Well explained.

If caps win tonight we’ll want MIN and TOR to get some points or caps could move to 26.

Reactions: 14ari13

bellringer77

Nov 14, 2017
Regardless where we pick we will pick hiigh enough to get an impact player. There is no player that really sets themselves apart. Tank another year for best odds, draft Bedard and sign Barkov. Then we are contenders again.

Easier said then done

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
Lose. VAN

7. DET - 48
6. VAN - 45 (5)

VAN would need 3 in 5 (1RW)

VAN’s games
CGY.
EDM.
CGY. CGY. CGY.

Also, regarding the Washington pick... unfortunately they won tonight. They sit in the 26th spot. Both TOR (needs 1 point in 2 games) and MIN (needs 3 points in 2 games) can pass them.

Last edited:
Reactions: 14ari13

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Lose. VAN

7. DET - 48
6. VAN - 45 (5)

VAN’s games
CGY.
EDM.
CGY. CGY. CGY.

Also, regarding the Washington pick... unfortunately they won tonight. They sit in the 26th spot. Both TOR (needs 1 point in 2 games) and MIN (needs 3 points in 2 games) can pass them.
Caps paid a 5th to get Raffl, arguably worse than Panik & ~same age, UFA. We could've given them Helm for that 5th & he'd likely be better. Raffl scores GW w/1.8 sec., his 1st in 10gp.

Last edited:

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Lose. VAN

7. DET - 48
6. VAN - 45 (5)

VAN’s games
CGY.
EDM.
CGY. CGY. CGY.

I believe even with 3 ot losses they pass us.

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
Lose. VAN

7. DET - 48
6. VAN - 45 (5)

VAN’s games
CGY.
EDM.
CGY. CGY. CGY.

So the way the draft pick order works for teams in the playoffs is slightly different. For instance, Toronto will always pick after the non-divisional winners if they do not advance to the conference finals. We still want Minnesota to pick up those last three points, but it's not quite so simple, because them making it to the conference finals would be a good thing, as it would mean one of the divisional winners would miss the conference finals, which would achieve the same effect (assuming Washington doesn't make it to the conference finals). Ideally, both of those things happen, as it would be akin to improving our draft position by two in that range. Further, the four teams that make the conference finals get the last four picks, with the Cup winner getting the 32nd pick as the ultimate victory cigar.

So in essence our rooting guidelines are as follows:
  • Minnesota picking up the aforementioned three points over the next two games. This will put Washington at 25th.
  • Against Washington. Hopefully Boston knocks them out, but so long as they don't make the conference finals (or whatever their called this year) they will be picking no later than 25th/26th.
  • Upsets. Root for every underdog, especially against divisional winners, because each divisional winner that misses the conference finals will pick after the non-divisional winners.
  • If everything goes perfectly, we will pick 21st. If things go poorly, but Washington still loses pre-conference finals, they pick 25th/26th. Unfortunately Washington picked up enough points down the stretch that their pick slipping into the late teens is no longer possible. Realistically, one or maybe two of the divisional champs are upset, Washington misses the conference finals, and we pick 23rd/24th/25th.
  • It's also important to mention that Arizona won't be making a 1st round pick this year, so while we technically can't pick 20th, we could make the 20th overall selection.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
This is also how you kill any remaining semblance of honest competition (and not just money-making) that still remains in any North American sports leagues.
How so? There's no lack of effort on the team. Coaches aren't sitting players to deliberately lose. It's just a case of unprecedented roster overhaul in a very short time. The kids are playing well; they just lack any high end talent, which could be added as soon as this summer. I mean, the goal isn't to continue to stink forever and pocket the saved revenue. The Pistons are shaping up to switch into contender mode in just 1-2 more years.

It's the same as what Yzerman is doing, but in fast forward mode. I don't see how that's dishonest - it seems strikingly transparent.

Reactions: CairneBloodhoof

pz29

Jun 18, 2015
How so? There's no lack of effort on the team. Coaches aren't sitting players to deliberately lose. It's just a case of unprecedented roster overhaul in a very short time. The kids are playing well; they just lack any high end talent, which could be added as soon as this summer. I mean, the goal isn't to continue to stink forever and pocket the saved revenue. The Pistons are shaping up to switch into contender mode in just 1-2 more years.

It's the same as what Yzerman is doing, but in fast forward mode. I don't see how that's dishonest - it seems strikingly transparent.
I was referring to the admiration expressed in the article towards the "right way to tank" by the Pistons. The article clearly states that they will/need to try to lose the last game. Is that OK? It is one thing to have a team that cannot win, like the Wings, and another to have one that will not try to win, like the Pistons, at least according to this article. In the long term, this attitude will be the death of professional sports. NBA is already a theatrical performance. The main reason why the European soccer super league collapsed was the concerns by the fans that it might open the doors to tanking and some other such maneuvering.

Reactions: Red Stanley

Larkin2AA

Apr 21, 2016
Rochester Hills, MI
So the way the draft pick order works for teams in the playoffs is slightly different. For instance, Toronto will always pick after the non-divisional winners if they do not advance to the conference finals. We still want Minnesota to pick up those last three points, but it's not quite so simple, because them making it to the conference finals would be a good thing, as it would mean one of the divisional winners would miss the conference finals, which would achieve the same effect (assuming Washington doesn't make it to the conference finals). Ideally, both of those things happen, as it would be akin to improving our draft position by two in that range. Further, the four teams that make the conference finals get the last four picks, with the Cup winner getting the 32nd pick as the ultimate victory cigar.

So in essence our rooting guidelines are as follows:
  • Minnesota picking up the aforementioned three points over the next two games. This will put Washington at 25th.
  • Against Washington. Hopefully Boston knocks them out, but so long as they don't make the conference finals (or whatever their called this year) they will be picking no later than 25th/26th.
  • Upsets. Root for every underdog, especially against divisional winners, because each divisional winner that misses the conference finals will pick after the non-divisional winners.
  • If everything goes perfectly, we will pick 21st. If things go poorly, but Washington still loses pre-conference finals, they pick 25th/26th. Unfortunately Washington picked up enough points down the stretch that their pick slipping into the late teens is no longer possible. Realistically, one or maybe two of the divisional champs are upset, Washington misses the conference finals, and we pick 23rd/24th/25th.
  • It's also important to mention that Arizona won't be making a 1st round pick this year, so while we technically can't pick 20th, we could make the 20th overall selection.
Thank you for explaining this!

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
I was referring to the admiration expressed in the article towards the "right way to tank" by the Pistons. The article clearly states that they will/need to try to lose the last game. Is that OK? It is one thing to have a team that cannot win, like the Wings, and another to have one that will not try to win, like the Pistons, at least according to this article. In the long term, this attitude will be the death of professional sports. NBA is already a theatrical performance. The main reason why the European soccer super league collapsed was the concerns by the fans that it might open the doors to tanking and some other such maneuvering.

The same thing happens in hockey and has happened for ages. Columbus started an AHL goalie in back to back games against us, Jarmo absolutely wanted to drop below us in the lottery and they did. In basketball it's more obvious- because it's such a high-event game (points scored roughly 50% of possessions), the more talented team wins more frequently than in hockey. But management in the NHL, NFL, and MLB absolutely make roster moves to generate more losses and ensure higher draft capital. It's simply the logical thing to do in salary-capped sports where top draft picks are the best avenue to building a competitive team.

The SuperLeague (RIP April 2021-April 2021) issue is complicated, but I don't think it's totally fair to say that tanking was the fans' main concern. It was more the abandonment of the footballing pyramid where clubs of any size could earn the way to the top competitions on their own merit. A SuperLeague certainly would've removed incentives for many of those clubs (like Arsenal and Spurs) to improve, but it wouldn't really have encouraged any of them to purposefully lose.

Your general point I do agree with though, and I actually support the idea of keeping a salary cap, ditching the draft, and allowing prospects to sign where they want. I think it would maintain parity while removing the current incentive to lose games.

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
For those who are keeping score at home, Minnesota got completely caved in by the Blues (likely intentionally so) so now Washington is locked into 26th based on points. We are still Wild, but only if they can perform some upsets and make it to the conference finals.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
The same thing happens in hockey and has happened for ages. Columbus started an AHL goalie in back to back games against us, Jarmo absolutely wanted to drop below us in the lottery and they did. In basketball it's more obvious- because it's such a high-event game (points scored roughly 50% of possessions), the more talented team wins more frequently than in hockey. But management in the NHL, NFL, and MLB absolutely make roster moves to generate more losses and ensure higher draft capital. It's simply the logical thing to do in salary-capped sports where top draft picks are the best avenue to building a competitive team.

The SuperLeague (RIP April 2021-April 2021) issue is complicated, but I don't think it's totally fair to say that tanking was the fans' main concern. It was more the abandonment of the footballing pyramid where clubs of any size could earn the way to the top competitions on their own merit. A SuperLeague certainly would've removed incentives for many of those clubs (like Arsenal and Spurs) to improve, but it wouldn't really have encouraged any of them to purposefully lose.

Your general point I do agree with though, and I actually support the idea of keeping a salary cap, ditching the draft, and allowing prospects to sign where they want. I think it would maintain parity while removing the current incentive to lose games.

Just spitballing here...

Or maybe have a 3yr/ELC mandatory by the drafting team, then UFA as early as age 21. Also to make things "interesting", no contract lengths beyond 3 yrs, regardless of age/status. Or 3 yrs max < age 30, 5 yrs max < age 40 (or vice versa for both). The vice versa might keep the retirement contracts that go south quickly (Nielsen) at a minimum, while using that $ for the <30 prime players we all wanna see. NHLPA would never agree to either though & I can't blame them. With the zillenial gen./next wave of athletes taking over the NHL, age 30 is practically a "boomer" now. Pretty soon we'll be down to 1 or no active NHL'ers 40+ (Chara/Marleau) etc.

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
For those who are keeping score at home, Minnesota got completely caved in by the Blues (likely intentionally so) so now Washington is locked into 26th based on points. We are still Wild, but only if they can perform some upsets and make it to the conference finals.
Furthermore, I should like to clarify some rules to how this "moving up" process works. It's pretty straightforward:

1. The Washington pick moves up based upon the number of teams with records below Washington's finish in the conference finals or better.
  2. This means that if Florida or Colorado move on to the conference finals, it is equivalent to the Hurricanes or Golden Knight's making the conference finals.
  3. Because only four teams make it to the conference finals, the Washington pick can move up no more than four spaces, to the 22nd overall pick (which in this case would be the 21st person selected).
  4. The teams to cheer for are therefore (to make it to conference finals)... one of Montreal, Winnipeg, Edmonton; either of St. Louis or Minnesota; either of Nashville or Tampa; either of New York or Boston. In particular, we should also especially cheer for whoever is facing Washington, even Pittsburgh (bleh)!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->